NHL Europe - What If

neilb

In the unlikely event of the NHL expanding into Europe, I've attempted to visualise which cities they would use and the teams they might create. The likeliest answer to the first part is that they would follow the money, which might not necessarily put them in that countries capital city.

The teams I've come up with are:-

MILAN SAVAGE

PARIS GUARDIANS

LONDON TOWERS

MUNICH BARONS

ZURICH DRAGONS

So first up is the MILAN SAVAGE

Milan is the 5th largest city in the EU and a leading global city. The Wild Boar is an ancient emblem of Milan and ideal for the logo. Apparently these guys can get a bit savage if they get out of bed the wrong side!

Milan_zps5702911f.jpeg

You might want to rethink the London Towers name.

The Savage logo is off to a nice start, but at the moment it's very right heavy. You've got the mean looking boar face on the right and not much else going on on the left, which seems to be taking up a lot more space on the logo. I think you could do with less of that, maybe chop off most of the left side so the viewer's attention is drawn more to the face.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Have you done any research into this? Each country has its own major hockey league. Some have franchises dating back to 1920's. I realize its fantasy but the french league doesnt have a team in Paris, the British league doesnt have a team in London, etc. if the NHL expanded to Europe, the first 8 cities would be Davos (or anywhere Swiss), Stockholm, Edinburgh, Belfast, Sheffield, Oslo, Cologne, and Vienna. The rest of Eastern Europe is occupied by KHL. Im just saying this because I have already started up my European Hockey League and have looked into this in a lot of detail - see my Fixing Elite League thread.

Look at the real history of the teams in these cities, like Milan Vipers, and work on it from there.

Not trying to sound harsh, just trying to give you ideas.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond guys, you've certainly given me something to think about!

Next up are the PARIS GUARDIANS.

Based on the 'Musketeers' who eventually became the Kings Guard cavalry regiment.

Paris_zpsa33f0e91.jpeg

Next up we have the LONDON TOWERS - based on the central 'White Tower' which initially was a royal residence and laterly a prison.

The secondary logo is based on the Ravens who are residents of the Tower.

Legend has it that if the Ravens leave, the Tower and Monarchy will crumble.

London_zps373ad115.jpeg

Well, it certainly would be a challenge!

Thinking about it though I could probably use it as theme for another project, but not yet awhile.

Moving on, Team No. 4 are the MUNICH BARONS.

All I've done here is resurrect the old DEL team from 1999 - 2002 that went under financially and ended up in Hamburg.

Munich_zps37da1421.jpeg

Try and make the crown hang off the tower, that would be really cool. I like the use of purple and silver for teams whose identity is based off royalty, like the Kings before they dropped purple. For Munich, I'd make the middle stripe on the coloured jersey white. Way too much green.

And finally, the ZURICH DRAGONS.

a leading global city and one of the worlds largest financial centres.

It took awhile to come up with a name for the team, but I eventually got there.

The Chinese city of Kunming paid for the creation of a Chinese garden in Zurich as a thank you for the technical and scientific assistance by the city of Zurich in the development of the City of Kunming drinking water supply and drainage. - did you get that!

I know its a rather tenuous connection, but it's no worse than why the NFL named the team in Baltimore the Ravens!

Zurich_zps5a60a208.jpeg

Again, you might want to rethink the London Towers name. It already belonged to a basketball team. Also, purple and black aren't colours I would typically associate with London.

Your Zurich Dragons uniform is inconsistent. Different logos aside - we know at least one team in the NHL has done that before anyway - you've got powder blue striping on one jersey and red on the other. Why does one jersey feature the light blue colour so prominently in the logo and striping and the other not have it anywhere at all? Basically, you've got one that makes good use of the team colours and another that's way too minimalistic. It's like I'm looking at two different teams.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

And finally, the ZURICH DRAGONS.

a leading global city and one of the worlds largest financial centres.

It took awhile to come up with a name for the team, but I eventually got there.

The Chinese city of Kunming paid for the creation of a Chinese garden in Zurich as a thank you for the technical and scientific assistance by the city of Zurich in the development of the City of Kunming drinking water supply and drainage. - did you get that!

I know its a rather tenuous connection, but it's no worse than why the NFL named the team in Baltimore the Ravens!

Zurich_zps5a60a208.jpeg

This is good - but it's nearly identical to the Savage. Have more fun with the Dragon imagery - maybe a head-on crest instead of the profile view?

Archived