T V Report: M L S to Salt Lake City...

ABC 4 (KTVX-TV) in Salt Lake City is reporting that Major League Soccer will announce the granting of a franchise to the city within the next two weeks. The expansion bid of former New York Knicks and Utah Jazz executive Dave Checketts was successful. The team will join Chivas USA as one of two expansion teams entering MLS for the 2005 season.

According to the ABC 4 story, the team is likely to be named either the Utah Boom or Salt Lake Boom. I'm guessing that MLS is attempting to tie-in to the "sonic booms" created by vehicles setting land speed records at testing grounds such as the Bonneville Salt Flats. There's also the play-on-words with regard to the team's players "booming" shots on opposing goalkeepers.

Brian in Boston

the name's NOT gonna end in ZZ? but it's not a real Utah team without the ZZ :P:D

The Utah Boomzz?

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Pardon my ignorance, but what in the world is Chivas USA? I know it's a team, but where are they from, and why aren't they named something decent and normal... like the [Place Name] [Nickname]s?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Here's the Utah "Boomz" sound effects as they score a goal. (hint: Back to the Future)

UTAH BOOMZ

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Pardon my ignorance, but what in the world is Chivas USA? I know it's a team, but where are they from, and why aren't they named something decent and normal... like the [Place Name] [Nickname]s?

Chivas is a team in the MExican league. The owner of that team was awarded a team in the MLS and decided to call the team Chivas USA.

I saw, I came, I left.

• 2 weeks later...

Chivas is a team in the MExican league. The owner of that team was awarded a team in the MLS and decided to call the team Chivas USA.

Mmmmmmmmmmm..........Chivas.

Wha? We're not talking about Scotch?

Back on topic, while I'm glad to see MLS move into a new market for major league outdoor sports, I'm awfully disappointed for the folks in OKC who really put a lot of time, money, effort and resources into refurbishing UCO's football/soccer stadium. They have been focused for nearly 3 years on obtaining an MLS franchise and with no more expansion planned and Chivas likely bound for Carson, CA, it looks like they're going to get completely shut out.

Congrats to SLC and hopefully it and the rest of MLS will prosper as a result.

I'm awfully disappointed for the folks in OKC who really put a lot of time, money, effort and resources into refurbishing UCO's football/soccer stadium. They have been focused for nearly 3 years on obtaining an MLS franchise and with no more expansion planned... it looks like they're going to get completely shut out.

Well, the unfortunate part of the equation for the Edmond-based, Greater Oklahoma City bid was the fact that no local ownership stepped up to actually pursue the team. The University of Central Oklahoma was certainly willing to undertake the stadium refurbishment, with an eye towards entering into a leasing partnership with the team. However, it wasn't as though UCO was going to take on the responsibility of bidding for - or running the day-to-day operations of - an MLS franchise.

As for the notion that no further MLS expansion is planned, nothing could be further from the truth. As MLSNet.com says, "The league's aggressive expansion campaign is scheduled to bring the number of teams in the league to 14 at the start of the 2006 season, with Seattle, Cleveland, San Antonio, Houston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Portland, Phoenix and Minneapolis all cited as potential homes. (MLS Commissioner) Garber has stated that the league's plan is to have 16 to 20 teams by 2010."

Brian in Boston

I was unaware that OKC was without an ownership group - hmmm that does make an infrastructure campaign somewhat of a windmill joust now, doesn't it? And that's good to hear about MLS expansion (assuming it's warranted). Last I had heard they were looking at 2 and not committing to anything beyond that so as to avoid the problems they had the last time they grew the league.

Additionally, the league is looking to grow to 16 teams by the year 2010.

Wow... maybe they can revive the Mutiny and the Fusion.

And the Cosmos, while they're at it.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Wow... maybe they can revive the Mutiny and the Fusion.

...which would make that team the Futility.

But on another note, why not satisfy the sonic Boom crowd, the 'ZZ' crowd, and the hip-hop crowd by just calling them the Bizzoom? Can't we all just get along?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

the name's NOT gonna end in ZZ?  but it's not a real Utah team without the ZZ :P  :D

The state of Utah is way pasted the whole "ZZ" thing now!

Here's the Utah "Boomz" sound effects as they score a goal. (hint:  Back to the Future)

UTAH BOOMZ

That's hilarious! :lol:

I personally think this will be a pretty big hit with the Salt Lake sports fans.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Congrats to Salt Lake City! Rice-Eccles Stadium looks very nice to hold MLS in. I would assume that they made major renovations when the Opening and Closing Ceremonies were held for the Olympics 2 years ago.

Breathing sort of a sigh of relief, now that one of the cities the San Jose Earthquakes were rumored to go to, is now taken.

And what's with Chivas USA? They gotta try and take over an already existed market? Carson, CA that's where the Galaxy call home if I'm not mistaken. Why not San Diego? Qualcomm Stadium isn't being used for baseball now and its near Mexico so that could help them crossover a bit. Plus the MLS had an All-Star Game at Qualcomm.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Breathing sort of a sigh of relief, now that one of the cities the San Jose Earthquakes were rumored to go to, is now taken.

And what's with Chivas USA? They gotta try and take over an already existed market? Carson, CA that's where the Galaxy call home if I'm not mistaken. Why not San Diego?

Well... as far as the potential relocation of the San Jose Earthquakes is concerned, my understanding is that San Antonio and Houston have always been the front-running markets most likely to land the team. Earthquakes' GM Alexi Lalas has confirmed that the team's owner - Anschutz Entertainment Group - has started talking to cities outside of the Bay Area regarding the potential relocation of the franchise. Additionally, Joe Guerra, the policy director for San Jose Mayor Ron Gonzales' budget office, has publicly stated that AEG officials told him that they were looking at San Antonio and Houston as possible relocation sites.

As for Chivas USA sharing Carson, California's Home Depot Center with the Los Angeles Galaxy, rather than setting up shop in San Diego... it's not because MLS didn't try to convince Chivas owner Jorge Vergara to do otherwise. In fact, MLS Commissioner Ron Garber repeatedly tried to get Vergara to set up shop in either San Diego or Houston. Vergara refused, saying that he felt either Los Angeles or Chicago offered up more fans of his Mexican League team, Chivas Guadalajara. Therefore, he feels that said fans will also support Chivas USA.

Brian in Boston

That really doesn't make sense for Chivas to share Home Depot with the Galaxy. I mean the idea for expansion is to further expose the game. If MLS allows them to set up in Los Angeles, this does not bode well for the Galaxy.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived