A H L adds Des Moines

Lee.

Brian can officially start going to hockey games.

I've been able to go to hockey games. The Cedar Rapids are much closer (30 minute drive) than Des Moines (2 Hour Drive). I just havn't gotten the opportunity yet. I intend to go eventually. . . .

sig09.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, Des Moines' only sports championship is in minor league hockey.

In fact, I think I'd nominate Des Moines for "best sports city without a chance in hell at getting one of the big 4."

Either way... I'm glad the NEWWWW AHL CHAMPION Admirals have another reigonal rival to whoop up on. Here's to hoping they keep the Buccaneers name since "Admirals vs Buccaneers" would look cool (in a corny way) on the Bradley Center marquee.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Congrats to Des Moines,

What kills me is, Kansas City has a great hockey fan base, as does Des Moines,

but they get an AHL team and we get a UHL team. Go figure. :blink::wacko:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Congrats to Des Moines,

What kills me is, Kansas City has a great hockey fan base, as does Des Moines,

but they get an AHL team and we get a UHL team. Go figure. :blink::wacko:

I think the AHL is concentrating on long term markets and not "rink warmers" for the NHL. The people behind the Sprint Center have made it pretty clear that they want an NHL team and I am sure that the AHL would prefer at this time to be establishing teams in markets content to have AHL hockey and not looking to move beyond the AAA level.

Brand New Arena - I'm pretty sure one of those teams in the New England region would love to move to KC.

Albany, Springfield, and Portland would be good choices to move.

Albany and Springfield would be good for the UHL.

Nah. Too much history in a lot of those markets, plus you can't really use attendance for the NE markets to justify a move. Travel costs are a LOT less for teams in the northeast, it's the teams like Manitoba and Utah that really get boned with airfare costs, etc.

much more of a bus league in the NE, as opposed to the western side...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Here's to hoping they keep the Buccaneers name since "Admirals vs Buccaneers" would look cool (in a corny way) on the Bradley Center marquee.

Probably won't happen...they'll be Calgary's farm team, so look for a name to play off of 'Flames' in some way shape or form.

Or not, I've been wrong before.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Here's to hoping they keep the Buccaneers name since "Admirals vs Buccaneers" would look cool (in a corny way) on the Bradley Center marquee.

Probably won't happen...they'll be Calgary's farm team, so look for a name to play off of 'Flames' in some way shape or form.

Or not, I've been wrong before.

How about the Iowa Barnburners?

That's a joke. Oh, God, I hope someone doesn't think that's a good idea.

Will Des Moines be Calgary's farm team? I guess it makes sense, I think Calgary's half of the Hurricanes/Flames dual affilitation with Lowell ends after this season. The AHL site said Des Moines will start in 2005, so Calgary has one more full year with Lowell. It seems to have been working out good for both teams, there's no complaining about favoratism that the Islanders had a few years ago when Lowell had the LA Kings and the NY Islanders. Mike "Douchebag" Milbury pulled his players out and loaned them to Springfield.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

How about the Iowa Barnburners?

That's a joke. Oh, God, I hope someone doesn't think that's a good idea.

...As 20 guys all rush to put out a "Des Moines barnburners" logo/uni concept...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Actually, Howard Baldwin and Dallas Stars' president Jim Lites are negotiating to make the new Des Moines-based AHL franchise the Stars' top farm club. In fact, Stars' officials have toured the new arena in Des Moines twice this month.

Since refusing to renew their affiliation agreement with the Utah Grizzlies, the Stars have entered into a one-year secondary affiliation with the Houston Aeros. That affiliation is seen as a stop-gap measure, since the Minnesota Wild own a percentage of the Aeros and the team serves as the Wild's primary affiliate. Ironically, at one time, Minnesota Sports & Entertainment, which owns the Wild and operates the Xcel Energy Center, had signed a letter of intent to manage Des Moines' arena and place the Wild's top farm club there.

As for Calgary, while they are currently sharing the Lowell Lock Monsters with the Carolina Hurricanes, they still own the rights to their own dormant AHL franchise - the former Saint John Flames. Calgary management is in the process of trying to decide where they want to locate/operate it.

Brian in Boston

Actually, Howard Baldwin and Dallas Stars' president Jim Lites are negotiating to make the new Des Moines-based AHL franchise the Stars' top farm club. In fact, Stars' officials have toured the new arena in Des Moines twice this month.

Since refusing to renew their affiliation agreement with the Utah Grizzlies, the Stars have entered into a one-year secondary affiliation with the Houston Aeros. That affiliation is seen as a stop-gap measure, since the Minnesota Wild own a percentage of the Aeros and the team serves as the Wild's primary affiliate. Ironically, at one time, Minnesota Sports & Entertainment, which owns the Wild and operates the Xcel Energy Center, had signed a letter of intent to manage Des Moines' arena and place the Wild's top farm club there.

As for Calgary, while they are currently sharing the Lowell Lock Monsters with the Carolina Hurricanes, they still own the rights to their own dormant AHL franchise - the former Saint John Flames. Calgary management is in the process of trying to decide where they want to locate/operate it.

Brian in Boston

Interesting. All that I gleaned off the AHL site and the old Saint John Flames sites pointed towards Calgary setting up shop in Des Moines, even though, really, Minnesota or Chicago (Or St Louis) would make a LOT more sense.

I stand corrected, BiB.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived