Best/Worst/"Meh" of 2015 MLS Jersey Week

Crabcake

I first started to get into soccer in February 2014, and have really gotten into MLS lately. Considering how I was a uniform nut BEFORE discovering MLS Jersey Week, this is right up my alley. So, without further ado...

Best:

1. Crew SC Secondary - LOVE the black jersey, and also love how they worked in yellow and white.

2. Impact Secondary - Looks much more professional and much cleaner.

3. Red Bulls Primary - The first real change to the home jersey, I'm really digging the red sleeves.

4. Orlando City SC Primary - As a Ravens fan, I'm a little partial to purple, but that kit looks really sharp.

5. Sounders Secondary - The white is a huge improvement over the navy from last season imo. Also a huge fan of the lime green adidas stripes.

Meh:

1. Chicago Fire Secondary - I know it ties into the flag and all, but I'm just not a huge fan.

2. DC United Secondary - Even though last year's all white was a little plain, not a huge fan of the red/white "blinds" effect.

3. NE Revolution Secondary - See Fire above.

4. NYCFC Primary/Secondary - I don't hate the Man City-esque primary, but I would have loved to see pinstripes incorporated into the uniform. As far as the secondary, I would've loved to see more orange.

5. Union Secondary - :sleeping:

6. Galaxy Secondary - Not bad but the black third from last year would've made a PERFECT secondary this year.

7. Timbers primary - Nice to see them get away from the "thick middle stripe" design they had used for years, but not executed the best.

8. RSL Secondary - Barely different enough to even warrant a reaction.

9. SKC Primary - Not bad but last year's was better.

10. Whitecaps Primary - Wasn't a huge fan of the diagonal stripes from last year, and also not a huge fan of the mountaintop design either.

Worst:

1. FC Dallas Secondary - May be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the thicker hoops, and not a huge fan of the new Advocare logo.

2. Dynamo Primary - I generally hate gradient unis, and this is no different.

3. Orlando City SC Secondary - I actually like this uniform, but this lands here based on a missed opportunity. Could've used red, gold, etc.

4. Toronto FC Primary - Took away the maple leaf sublimated design to give us essentially a plain red jersey. Whoopee.

5. Rapids Secondary - I get the ties to the Colorado flag, but didn't last year's secondary also supposedly have ties to the flag? The blue looked much, much better than the yellow imo.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Fire have done the flag theme better in the past. Even the flag-inspired trim on the navy is better than sticking a corporate logo in the middle of the Chicago flag.

All that said, just about anything beats the oatmeal can primaries, and the socks are pretty cool.

I was unsure of the Revs' red kits at first, but after seeing them in action a couple weeks ago in Colorado, they look pretty striking. The design isn't the best, but I love that they went in a different direction than white.

I think they're testing the waters for a rebrand with these kits. I won tickets to last weeks game, and I got some other loot with the tickets. All red stuff. Red sunglasses, a red coozy, and all the season ticket lanyards are red this year. The New England flag is even more prominent this year, too. It's all over the wall wrap at the stadium.

We should see the red kits today on national TV, since they're playing Philly in Philly.

I first started to get into soccer in February 2014, and have really gotten into MLS lately. Considering how I was a uniform nut BEFORE discovering MLS Jersey Week, this is right up my alley. So, without further ado...

Best:

1. Crew SC Secondary - LOVE the black jersey, and also love how they worked in yellow and white.

2. Impact Secondary - Looks much more professional and much cleaner.

3. Red Bulls Primary - The first real change to the home jersey, I'm really digging the red sleeves.

4. Orlando City SC Primary - As a Ravens fan, I'm a little partial to purple, but that kit looks really sharp.

5. Sounders Secondary - The white is a huge improvement over the navy from last season imo. Also a huge fan of the lime green adidas stripes.

Meh:

1. Chicago Fire Secondary - I know it ties into the flag and all, but I'm just not a huge fan.

2. DC United Secondary - Even though last year's all white was a little plain, not a huge fan of the red/white "blinds" effect.

3. NE Revolution Secondary - See Fire above.

4. NYCFC Primary/Secondary - I don't hate the Man City-esque primary, but I would have loved to see pinstripes incorporated into the uniform. As far as the secondary, I would've loved to see more orange.

5. Union Secondary - :sleeping:

6. Galaxy Secondary - Not bad but the black third from last year would've made a PERFECT secondary this year.

7. Timbers primary - Nice to see them get away from the "thick middle stripe" design they had used for years, but not executed the best.

8. RSL Secondary - Barely different enough to even warrant a reaction.

9. SKC Primary - Not bad but last year's was better.

10. Whitecaps Primary - Wasn't a huge fan of the diagonal stripes from last year, and also not a huge fan of the mountaintop design either.

Worst:

1. FC Dallas Secondary - May be an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the thicker hoops, and not a huge fan of the new Advocare logo.

2. Dynamo Primary - I generally hate gradient unis, and this is no different.

3. Orlando City SC Secondary - I actually like this uniform, but this lands here based on a missed opportunity. Could've used red, gold, etc.

4. Toronto FC Primary - Took away the maple leaf sublimated design to give us essentially a plain red jersey. Whoopee.

5. Rapids Secondary - I get the ties to the Colorado flag, but didn't last year's secondary also supposedly have ties to the flag? The blue looked much, much better than the yellow imo.

A few things I disagree with

A. If you love the Crew secondary, you should also love the NYCFC secondary as well. That may be hands down the best secondary kit in MLS.

B. Houston primary is a "Best" for sure. After 2 years in a primary so boring, it looked like a training kit, they were one of the few teams that tried to push the design envelope. I love it when teams do this, Sometimes it work, other times it doesn't. In Houston's case, the Creamsicle fade and diamond pattern look beautiful. In fact, I would not be surprised to see Nike attempt to use this in some form for Clockwork Oranje. (calling my shot here)

C. OCSC - Meh - First off, who cares if you're a Ravens fan. If you are going to give an unbiased opinion, you shouldn't be partial to a color either. OCSC went the safe route with both kits, which look like a standard, team-colored Tiro template. Houston, DCU, and LAG also used this same Tiro template ...look at how much better their kits look. They tried, Orlando parked the bus.

D. Montreal - Meh - seriously, this league is plagued with typical white secondary kits. A clash kit does not automatically have to be white. It can be Rose City Red (PTFC)

E. DCU - Best - If you look closely, both DCU and LAG used Tiro 15 template kits with the same exact pattern ...but because Red over White has more contrast, DCU's version looks better than the Blue on Blue LAG secondary.

F. Dallas - Meh - I like the thinner stripes but unfortunately, this kit instantly reminds me of QPR, as it would any other football fan. And Adidas doesn't go all the way with hoops so the design looks incomplete in the back, as usual. And furthermore, SKC basically stole Dallas' thunder with their own Indigo/Sky take on the hooped/horizontal striped theme, which looked so much better than anything Dallas has ever come up with.

G. Caps - Meh - Unfortunately for them, in a league plagued with white shirts, they're primary kit is white. Instead of just trucking out a white kit, they atleast tried to mix thing up with the faded pattern up top, which looks good.

H. SKC - Worst - Another team that tried to push the envelope as they continually do (they're becoming the fashionable Olympic Marseille of MLS). This time, the button-up collar is a nice touch but the pattern does not work.

I. New England - I love that they tried to use the NE flag to base their secondary on instead of trucking out a white jersey (like Montreal) but it could have been done so much better.

NYCdog.png

I keep hearing people (on these boards and at Rapids matches) saying "why yellow/gold?" so here is my answer. 1) Already used blue for the flag motif, can't use red so yellow is the obvious choice. 2) yellow away shirts are very common for Arsenal. We already wear white sleeves because of Arsenal so why not wear yellow and blue like Arsenal? (for those of you who don't know, the Rapids and Arsenal are both owned by the Kroenke's.) I for one love the shirt and am glad the rapids kept with the clash away and not the White that is so common in MLS.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I keep hearing people (on these boards and at Rapids matches) saying "why yellow/gold?" so here is my answer. 1) Already used blue for the flag motif, can't use red so yellow is the obvious choice. 2) yellow away shirts are very common for Arsenal. We already wear white sleeves because of Arsenal so why not wear yellow and blue like Arsenal? (for those of you who don't know, the Rapids and Arsenal are both owned by the Kroenke's.) I for one love the shirt and am glad the rapids kept with the clash away and not the White that is so common in MLS.

After seeing the kits in action, I actually don't think it's that bad anymore.

spacer.png

Archived