NCAA Basketball Court Concepts (All Teams and Conferences DONE)

mgdmhl

Pennsylvania Quakers

9Pggy0D.png

I think with Penn you should keep the Big Five feel that the Palestra has currently. I am ok with the Penn logo at center court, but maybe include the Big Five logo opposite of the Ivy logo. Possibly even have BIG FIVE along one of the baselines.

Championship%20Banners.jpg.png

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MAC (2nd half)

Kent St Golden Flashes

This one is definitely one of my favorites that I made.

Em2qhSZ.png

Miami (OH) Redhawks

UVaaVOU.png

Northern Illinois Huskies

ZDkKzVN.png

Ohio Bobcats

As I mentioned in my last post, one of the SB Nation accounts retweeted some of my MAC concepts. The Ohio fans really responded well to my concept for them. The first court is my original concept for them (got 45+ retweets, 55+ favs), but some people wanted me to add a few things. The next 3 I added some different ideas using the Ohio flag (per request) and the last one was using the Ohio flag plus Cutler Hall.

JZ5n4WT.png

CMlw7k6.png

mnOc7j2.png

AzEOD6K.png

Zi5F4Hi.png

Toledo Rockets

lr9eD2E.png

Western Michigan Broncos

pshHwrb.png

JeKhnr9.png

My feedback:

Kent St.: Loving the logos coming in to the court!

Miami: Simple, but effective

Northern Illinois: The black might be too much in the center of the court, but that's just me

Ohio: Out of those 5 courts, the last one is my favorite.

Toledo: The center court logo is phenomenal!

Western Michigan: See Miami

IMG_7365.PNG

IMG_7364.PNG

Kent State is very cool, but since part of the logo is the same color as the 3-point line, you'd have to break it up a bit to see the line clearly.

Same thing with painted free-throw lanes; if the color is the same as the boundary line, you have to have space between the boundary line and the lane, so you can see the line clearly.

Most basketball courts have the same rules, you have to clearly see the defined court markings. Any on-court decorations are secondary, and have to be broken up or a different color.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

My feedback:

Kent St.: Loving the logos coming in to the court!

Miami: Simple, but effective

Northern Illinois: The black might be too much in the center of the court, but that's just me

Ohio: Out of those 5 courts, the last one is my favorite.

Toledo: The center court logo is phenomenal!

Western Michigan: See Miami

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like them. I got the idea for the Kent St court from watching the old Iverson era 76ers court with the basketballs coming out of the sideline. Northern Illinois already has a black court so I figured it would be fine to use in the concept (definitely not one of my best).

These look great! Keep up the amazing work!

Thanks

The Kent State court is hands down my new favorite court you made. It's just so cool.

I also really like the oversized logos on the Toldeo court.

Thanks. I thought the oversized logo worked really well for Toledo (They seem to make the rocket logo big on everything [field, helmet, etc.]).

Kent State is very cool, but since part of the logo is the same color as the 3-point line, you'd have to break it up a bit to see the line clearly.

Same thing with painted free-throw lanes; if the color is the same as the boundary line, you have to have space between the boundary line and the lane, so you can see the line clearly.

Most basketball courts have the same rules, you have to clearly see the defined court markings. Any on-court decorations are secondary, and have to be broken up or a different color.

Yeah I understand and agree with everything you're saying but I feel it's unnecessary to show in small graphic. Obviously, if these courts were real, the lines intersecting with logos would look something like these (Mavs, Lakers, Bucks) with thin lines to show the markings and not destroy the look of logos and design on the court. If the .PSD template was 2x as big or so, I would probably show more of that detail.

JeKhnr9.png

Regarding the Ohio courts, the top two concepts are definitely better than the bottom three. The color scheme of Ohio's state flag juxtaposed against OU's color scheme is jarring in all three concepts, and unnecessarily clutters the bottom two. I do, however, like the idea of incorporating Cutler Hall in scheme #5 and the school-colored Ohio flag in the key for concept #2.

This concept series has been a joy to follow, and I can't wait to see what you've got in store next.

QPR%20Sig.png

I second everything Broncoboy7 said except for the Ohio court. I like the first two Ohio courts (see Moser316's reasoning) but I love the creativeness. Kent State is just phenomenal, and Miami (OH) may be my second favorite of the bunch; I really like that you used white trimmed in red on a black background for the wordmark.

Marshall- The letters on the baseline seem too small and/or too spaced out.

Old Dominion- Not too sold on the stained court

UTEP- I really like the idea, but it seems like it may be a bit too much. I like what you're going for, though.

UTSA- Only complain is that I don't really like the four roadrunners. I think having one on each side would work (e.g. bottom right and top left)

All the rest look really nice, though! North Texas might be my favorite of the C-USA.

EDIT: I think Hawai'i looks a lot better now. I think that the state silhouette looks a lot more like the state than sweat-stains, so I wouldn't be worried about that.

My only complaint is the blue court for Old Dominion. That just seems like too much, other than that, the UTEP court looks BEAUTIFUL! And the rest look great.

I love all the courts (especially UTEP!) except for Old Dominions blue court and the UTSA birds on the court (UTSA could work, but it needs some editing.)

All 3 of you didn't like the ODU blue stain. Besides completely removing the blue stain, what other suggestions (logo placement, other stains, etc.) do you have for their court? I actually liked the blue stain, so I'm a bit surprised by the comments.

About the UTSA roadrunners on the court, I wanted to included full roadrunner logo on the court but I didn't want to put it in the paint like I did/going to do with some other teams. So I kind of just put them somewhere just to have them on there. I wasn't completely happy with them on there either.

PSUcelticsWON95, the Marshall letters were taken from this wordmark. Can you be more clear about what you meant about UTEP? I took the pickax idea from their current court, but wanted to add more blue to the court. And I agree with you on the Hawaii state silhouette/sweat stain thing, but I never really thought they looked like sweat stains to start with.

Two thumbs up on Southern Miss' court. Louisiana Tech's looks great also, but the women's teams, who also play at the Thomas Assembly Center in Ruston, are called the "Lady Techsters" because when the women's team was started in 1974, coach Sonja Hogg decided not to call the team The Lady Bulldogs because she thought bulldogs were unfeminine and that female dogs were, well, the word she used rhymes with "Witches".

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

• 2 weeks later...

MEAC (1st half)

I wasn't that consistent with conference logo placement with this conference. I think, if I remember right, I tried to place the logo outside the 3-point line (ex. Coppin St) unless there was too much already going on in that area.

Bethune-Cookman Wildcats

hesdhM0.png

Coppin State Eagles

lklU69X.png

Delaware State Hornets

8G08Fe0.png

Florida A&M Rattlers

Yjw2G0y.png

Hampton Pirates

I tried to make it look like the ship was in water. This was the blue court that I mentioned earlier that I was going to do.d3R2jFC.png

Howard Bison

Had this one done before they unveiled their new logos so I thought I would share this with the new one.

hRxlOnf.png

With new logos and colors...

ag6iw8t.png

JeKhnr9.png

Not one comment on the 1st half?

MEAC (2nd half)

Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks

EugM2lT.png

Morgan State Bears

HfGCzGh.png

Norfolk State Spartans

27zLcLI.png

North Carolina A&T Aggies

I tried to make it look like the bulldog was bending the 3-point arc with his arms. Not sure if it looks as good as I hoped.7lyNZjX.png

North Carolina Central Eagles

qKCOdhe.png

Savannah State Tigers

XjJkBKs.png

South Carolina State Bulldogs

ozlp3oN.png

JeKhnr9.png

BC- I know I've criticized having a logo on top of an oversized and faded logo before, but it works really well here. The only two things I might suggest are using the non-gradient logo and switching the gold and the red on the outside of the court.

Coppin State- Really clean, but I'm not sure how I feel about you coloring the area above the free throw line (Does that part have a name?)

Delaware State- Really pops; the wordmark stands out a lot. Everything on this court works from the colors (and their placements) used to darkening areas of the court.

Florida A&M- I'm fine with the giant logo at midcourt, but I dislike having the snake head in each corner of the court

Hampton- Lovely as hell. The stained blue court is great, the midcourt logo is fantastic, the dark blue sidelines/baselines are beautiful and the wordmark looks great on it. The only thing that looks odd is the sublimated logo in the lane, but only because it looks off-centered due to the length of the sword. Is it against NCAA rules to have the sword extend out of the lane so that way the shield part would be centered? If not, then I'd like to see how that looks.

Howard- Really clean court. I'm glad you went red on blue on the baselines since I feel the red would have been too hard on the eyes. For the second one with the updated logo set, I think it looks sharp as well. I'm glad you didn't go with a red wordmark trimmed in white because I think the wordmark works well as just white on the navy background.

UMES- Nothing too fancy. They don't really have anything too flashy in their logo set, but you worked well with what you had. My only suggestion would be to give them a bolder and blockier font and maybe write "Hawks" and "UMES" in maroon trimmed in silver.

Morgan State- My favorite of the MEAC second half. The logo-on-logo works well here, as does the two-toned court. The wordmark really pops on the baseline and I think going with an orange key was something that made it a little more flashy without going over the top.

Norfolk State- Another team without anything really flashy to offer. I like that you used two different shades of green as I think it gave it some beneficial variance. I also think the font you chose works well with the team.

North Carolina A&T- I really, really like the giant bulldog. I also like that you put the interlocking "AT" logo inside the arch instead of just skipping on a secondary logo altogether. The only thing I'd look to change is the yellow wordmark on a yellow background. It doesn't look bad, but I think yellow on blue would look good.

NCCU- Not a fan of the four eagle heads or the baseline text. I think four heads is too repetitive, so I'd maybe play around with it. I'm trying to think of what positioning would look best with two heads, but nothing comes to mind. Maybe one giant one facing to the right coming from the left 3-point line?

Savannah State- I like the orange-trimmed wordmark on the baseline. I also really like the tiger stripe key.

South Carolina State- Another team without a lot of logo options. The only thing I'd suggest to help would be to try to add something flashier to the text. Whether it be changing the font to changing the colors.

Overall, a solid conference set. There weren't any bad ones, but there were quite a few good ones. I'm excited to see what you have in store for us next!

BC- I know I've criticized having a logo on top of an oversized and faded logo before, but it works really well here. The only two things I might suggest are using the non-gradient logo and switching the gold and the red on the outside of the court.

Coppin State- Really clean, but I'm not sure how I feel about you coloring the area above the free throw line (Does that part have a name?)

Delaware State- Really pops; the wordmark stands out a lot. Everything on this court works from the colors (and their placements) used to darkening areas of the court.

Florida A&M- I'm fine with the giant logo at midcourt, but I dislike having the snake head in each corner of the court

Hampton- Lovely as hell. The stained blue court is great, the midcourt logo is fantastic, the dark blue sidelines/baselines are beautiful and the wordmark looks great on it. The only thing that looks odd is the sublimated logo in the lane, but only because it looks off-centered due to the length of the sword. Is it against NCAA rules to have the sword extend out of the lane so that way the shield part would be centered? If not, then I'd like to see how that looks.

Howard- Really clean court. I'm glad you went red on blue on the baselines since I feel the red would have been too hard on the eyes. For the second one with the updated logo set, I think it looks sharp as well. I'm glad you didn't go with a red wordmark trimmed in white because I think the wordmark works well as just white on the navy background.

UMES- Nothing too fancy. They don't really have anything too flashy in their logo set, but you worked well with what you had. My only suggestion would be to give them a bolder and blockier font and maybe write "Hawks" and "UMES" in maroon trimmed in silver.

Morgan State- My favorite of the MEAC second half. The logo-on-logo works well here, as does the two-toned court. The wordmark really pops on the baseline and I think going with an orange key was something that made it a little more flashy without going over the top.

Norfolk State- Another team without anything really flashy to offer. I like that you used two different shades of green as I think it gave it some beneficial variance. I also think the font you chose works well with the team.

North Carolina A&T- I really, really like the giant bulldog. I also like that you put the interlocking "AT" logo inside the arch instead of just skipping on a secondary logo altogether. The only thing I'd look to change is the yellow wordmark on a yellow background. It doesn't look bad, but I think yellow on blue would look good.

NCCU- Not a fan of the four eagle heads or the baseline text. I think four heads is too repetitive, so I'd maybe play around with it. I'm trying to think of what positioning would look best with two heads, but nothing comes to mind. Maybe one giant one facing to the right coming from the left 3-point line?

Savannah State- I like the orange-trimmed wordmark on the baseline. I also really like the tiger stripe key.

South Carolina State- Another team without a lot of logo options. The only thing I'd suggest to help would be to try to add something flashier to the text. Whether it be changing the font to changing the colors.

Overall, a solid conference set. There weren't any bad ones, but there were quite a few good ones. I'm excited to see what you have in store for us next!

*BC - The gradient logo is their official primary logo and I haven't found a good quality non-gradient wildcat logo to replace it. I feel if I switch the colors around the court will be too dark but I'll give it a try.

Coppin St - The only name I can think to call it is "the top of the key". Just tried it for something different.

*FAMU - I wasn't sure if the snake head logos in the corner were too much.

*Hampton - I thought the paint logo looked a little weird too. I don't think there's a rule against your idea. I think your suggestion might look odd but I'll try it out and some other ideas I have to fix it.

*UMES - I'll try out some other fonts. It's hard to find fonts for teams that don't have official wordmarks or secondary logos.

*NCAT - I'll try your suggestion for the out-of-bounds area.

*NCCU - I figured it might be too much. I'll mess around with some things.

SCSU - Not sure if there's anything else to do with their current logo set.

* = courts that will be in the next round of updates

JeKhnr9.png

• 3 weeks later...

MVC (1st half)

Bradley Braves

RWAEu7x.png

Drake Bulldogs

03DlNV3.png

Evansville Purple Aces

Just trying something different. First is with purple stain. Second is with normal wood stain.

dYSiWnQ.png

gvL5Uhf.png

Illinois State Redbirds

Trying something different by angling the wood 45 degrees. I've never see a court like this so I'm not sure if they can make it like this. Maybe this might cause the court tiles to warp or something, but I think it looks cool.

NBvAW7R.png

Indiana State Sycamores

O7vYUaR.png

JeKhnr9.png

Bradley- The black key seems a little out of place. I think black would be a good addition, so maybe try adding it as a wordmark outline

Drake- Not a fan of the bulldogs on the four corners, but I love the wordmark and the wood design. I'm also glad you used that logo as the midcourt logo.

Evansville- I actually really like the stained design you did. I don't have a preference over which one, though. The colors, wordmark, and logo all look good as well.

Illinois State- Huge fan of the angled wood design! I also like the empty area inside the arc. The baseline wordmarks are really nice as well! My favorite of the bunch!

Indiana State- Really like the wood design and the simplicity of it all.

Can't wait to see what you have in-store for the other five MVC teams!

MVC (2nd half)

Loyola-Chicago Ramblers

GnOtHZa.png

Two other options I made but didn't like as much...

39fu8zi.png

tZUTiP2.png

Missouri State Bears

TvlUqfC.png

Northern Iowa Panthers

FD5oR6o.png

Southern Illinois Salukis

eyEKs9e.png

Wichita State Shockers

Wasn't sure which direction I liked the wheat to be leaning on the baselines so I made 3 options.

z7TYpYH.png

3NCqedF.png

5jSu6g1.png

JeKhnr9.png

Archived