American Throwball Association: Cleveland Update

jmoe12

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm back!

Atlanta Pride

Founded: 1978 (Relocated from Toronto 1983)

Division: South

Union Cups: 1 (2006)

Moelduer Shields: 1 (2008)

One of the league's top clubs since the 1991 split, the Pride are one of only 2 South Division clubs with a Union Cup. Managed by Rick "The Professor" Houston since 1997, Atlanta applies relentless defensive pressure in every game. This stout defense, plus a dangerous counter-attack spearheaded by center Tayshaun McDowd, terrorizes the league and has led the Pride to 4 consecutive South Division championship games. But a Union Cup as long eluded them, and with no real second weapon to complement McDowd, Atlanta seems doomed for another season coming up just short.

lglsoI6.png

This design was a struggle, but I really like the final product. The home shirt is the traditional black and yellow, with orange accenting the numbers and "claw mark" pattern on the sleeves and shorts. The clash is the fan favorite "Georgia Peach"; monochrome orange with the claw pattern sublimated on the torso. The orange kit is often promoted to primary status for marquee regular season matchups and much of the playoffs.

C&C greatly appreciated!

I have been following this thread since before I made an account. I thought the idea was really interesting and in-depth. I'm glad the thread wasn't dead!

I really like this set, especially the 'Georgia Peach' kit. In fact, I would promote the clash to all-time primary. Overall, another great job!

Another team!

Charlotte Griffins

Founded: 2000

Union Cups: 0

Moelduer Shields: 0

One of the youngest franchises in the league, Charlotte has yet to reach the ATA summit. Their teams have been fairly talented and always exciting to watch, but never good enough to seriously contend. Today, the Griffins are led by a superstar duo of Eric Dorsey and Griffin Kelsey, but a poor supporting cast has hamstrung their chances of challenging for a title. Both players are well into their primes, and have been rumored to want out of the Queen City. With little depth and an increasingly talented division, it seems Charlotte is stuck watching their franchise players walk out the door.

lDGWFcU.png

First Draft

Spoiler

vNtYMQw.png

This was a fun one to do. I knew from the start exactly what the home kit was going to be, but everything else was a mystery. I struggled to perfect the primary logo, but the shield still doesn't do it for me. I'm open to suggestions on how to fix this problem. The clash kit features teal more prominently than the home, and has the quartered pattern on the sleeves.

C&C always greatly appreciated!

I worked on fixing the Griffins' primary logo, and I think I may have finally gotten it right. I removed all black, replacing it with a darkened purple, and added a red outline instead of teal. The only differences in the kits is updated shades of purple and red, and the logo being replace.

So, what do you guys think? I think I improved the logo quite a bit, but I'm still open to any and all suggestions on improvements.

Here's the first of two stops in the Lone Star State

Dallas Armadillos

Founded: 1990

Dallas has been a mostly below average club, save the late 1990s, when the Armadillos reached 2 Union Cups, finishing fourth both times. Now, Dallas is lead by Mexican center Alejandro Chavez and eccentric wing Dante Christmas. Unlike rivals Charlotte, the Armadillos have managed to surround their two stars with a solid supporting cast, and the club experienced a breakout year last season, earning the #3 seed in the South. With several strong bench players added over the winter, Dallas is the trendy pick to finally usurp the duopoly that has owned the South for nearly a decade.

gMrRuMd.png

The logo is simple, with an armadillo silhouette on top of a shield. The design inside the shield is supposed to be the bands on the armadillo. I tried and tried to fit 9 in (for the nine-banded armadillo native to Texas), but it wouldn't work. Instead, there are a total of nine black and beige bands. The home kit features this same pattern as the crest. The clash is a blackout, worn on the road as well as home night games.

C&C greatly appreciated!

Taking "One small step" into Houston!

Houston Apollos

Founded: 2008

In 8 years competing in the weakest division in the league, Houston has never even sniffed the playoffs, doing no better than sixth place, and finishing bottom 5 times. The Apollos have been constantly searching for promising youngsters to build the team around, but all attempts so far have failed. Houston is now on their fifth manager in franchise history, and the third in as many years. But loyal fans remain optimistic that 31 year old whiz kid Casey Jansson will be the boss that finally gets it right.

GergI6E.png

I was stumped for forever on what to do for this identity, but the finished product is one of my favorite sets. The logo is an astronaut head, with a sun behind it representing the Greek god Apollo. The home kit is pretty basic, with a stylized moon chest stripe. While Dallas has a blackout, Houston uses a whiteout, with a neat little striping pattern I made. It doesn't have a specific meaning, I just thought it looked good.

C&C appreciated!

Must be Houston day on the boards today! Love love love that striping pattern on the clash. Did you try orange for the sleeves and shins on the home? Cant quite decide if I would love it or hate it just visualizing it. Personally, I just crave more orange with that set.

• 4 weeks later...

Memphis now!

Memphis Kings

Founded: 1990

Union Cups: 2 (2007, 2011)

Ranging from average to downright awful in their first decade, the Kings experienced a dramatic turnaround in 2002, when owner James Holmes took the helm. Holmes implemented a strong nation-wide scouting network to find and develop young talent, and the effect was felt immediately. Prospects Raeshonne Davis and Deion Lewis both worked their way through the ranks, and led Memphis to glory for the first time in 2007, and again four years later. With a new generation of home-grown studs led by Jermichael King, Memphis is poised to reach the summit for a third time soon.

aY8KqzV.png

I tried to balance Elvis and Egyptian imagery as best as I could, and this was the result. The guitars in the primary logo represent the city's rich music history, while the crown has a pyramid shape subtly placed in the front point. The kits also have some Egyptian inspiration, as the shorts striping on both kits and the sleeves on the clash feature a pattern similar to the Pharaoh's headdress.

C&C appreciated! We'll be double-dipping in the Sunshine State next to wrap up the division.

The Miami Palms are next. I have several ideas for a color scheme, but I can't choose between these three.

#1: The most realistic scheme, emphasizing the natural colors of the city. Yellow for the sun, Green for the trees, Blue for the water and sky, and Sand for the Beaches. This shirt is fairly basic, with two sublimated palms on the torso.

#2: Loud and exciting, the natural colors have been replaced by bright blues and pinks to give a "neon" vibe. The home shirt is black, with slanted pinstripes and a neon palm tree on the sleeve.

#3: The final set features a scheme taken from the Flag of Miami. The shirt is light blue, with a chest stripe borrowing again from the flag. 

f9fohUU.png

Comment below with your pick, and any feedback you have on the designs.

I also have to go with the third option. The neon just seems like overkill for me, and the third keeps the natural look of the first one but with more vibrant, Miami-like colors.

I love what you've been doing here, by the way. Looks great.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I decided on the light blue primary, but I tweaked the neon to keep it as the clash.

Miami Palms

Founded: 1974 (Relocated from Bridgeport 1979, Hartford in 1994)

Miami has had a fair portion of success, making 3 Union Cups, but the Palms have never put it all together. After 20 uneventful years in Connecticut, Hartford Robins' owner Jonathan Lee saw an opportunity in the Southern US and took his talents to South Beach. Today, Miami is led by cult-hero Dalmacio Ruiz and an experienced post duo of Rocky Gruber and Cameron Gordon. But a severe lack of depth and outside scoring has kept the Palms near the bottom of the table.

7LPJurU.png

As mentioned before, I ended up choosing the third color scheme. The clash kit is similar to the second option from above but the color scheme has been changed to blue, light green, orange, and pink.

C&C appreciated! You can probably expect the first color scheme to make an appearance later in this series.

Archived