Lights Out's MLB: Entire League Complete!

Lights Out

Lately, I've been working on a concept series for the entire MLB. I've finally finished, so without further ado, I'm starting off with the AL East.

BOSTON RED SOX

CAPS:

abhAH2Y.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

v4x2PcE.png

The Red Sox mostly keep their classic look, but trade out navy for green (to symbolize both the Green Monster and the city's Irish heritage) and emphasize red in particular.

BP/SPECIAL:

RANHQC5.png

The BP jerseys are based on their classic BP look, albeit with the requisite color changes. The Sox also get an Irish Heritage alternate, featuring the team name translated into Irish Gaelic. I have a feeling that these would sell like hotcakes in New England.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BALTIMORE ORIOLES

CAPS:

UWUbIq9.png

I may be the only one, but I greatly prefer the realistic bird to the cartoon one.

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

7ZWTIHj.png

The Orioles also keep their classic look for the most part, but I did subtly work in some of that cream color from the cap logo into the striping and drop shadows on the wordmarks and numbers. Not too much, though, as they'd look too similar to the Giants if they used a lot of it.

BP:

tZ48nJP.png

Checkered sleeve stripes to symbolize the Maryland flag seem to be a popular idea to use for Orioles concepts nowadays. I decided to put my own spin on it for the BPs.

xLmjWVv.png

TORONTO BLUE JAYS

CAPS:

AI03k5a.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

doPyE2F.png

In my opinion, the Graphite Jays era was a tragic case of lots of good elements being used in the worst possible manner. They had a shade of blue that looked absolutely stunning in person, but then barely used it. They had decent wordmarks, but used them in a slapdash manner. I fixed the wordmarks, used the number font from the 2008-2011 roads instead of that God-awful Crillee font they used on all their other jerseys at the time, and put the focus on blue instead of black and grey.

BP/SPECIAL:

O2iDH5U.png

The BP jerseys feature a sleeve design based on the wordmarks. The Jays also get their traditional Canada Day uniform.

xLmjWVv.png

NEW YORK YANKEES

CAPS:

1YMpuKS.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

AlWKN7V.png

No Earth-shattering changes for the Yankees. I gave them one consistent NY monogram to use across all applications - the cap version, which looks the best out of all of them. On the road, instead of their boring block font, I used their unique script font. The Yankees also get a throwback to wear on the road. While looking through their old uniforms, I got a kick out of their 1915 roads, which featured alternating red, blue, and green(!) pinstripes. Throwing back to those is a good way to go crazy with the Yankees without pissing off the fans.

BP:

7d4sjmP.png

An appropriately subdued look for the Bronx Bombers.

xLmjWVv.png

TAMPA BAY RAYS

CAPS:

gsaGpOu.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

JXlDxWJ.png

The Rays' look is based on the vests that they wore throughout most of the 2000s. I still think that's the best look in franchise history, far superior to the crap they've been wearing since 2008. I did tweak the look a bit, giving them a consistent road wordmark and a new Bucks-esque "Irish rainbow" color scheme.

BP:

ioODEcZ.png

The batting practice jerseys are kept pretty simple. The sleeve treatment is actually inspired by college football - namely, Kansas State and North Carolina, who both used it a while back. I think it looked nice, personally.

=======================================

Well, that's it for the AL East. I'll post the NL East tomorrow.

xLmjWVv.png

Red Sox- Look really nice, can't complain.

O's- The orange alt. should use the orange hat, IMO.

Jays- I'm not a fan of using the light blue pants, but it is your concept.

Pinstripes-WOW! That alt. That is definitely different. Cool idea.

Rays- I am not a fan of the rays. I can count at least 4 shades of green. A little too much for my liking.

1 hour ago, cjm3114jr said:

O's- The orange alt. should use the orange hat, IMO.

Rays- I am not a fan of the rays. I can count at least 4 shades of green. A little too much for my liking.

Just to clarify: for the O's, the orange cap is the batting practice cap. I suppose the team could choose to wear it with any of the non-BP uniforms if this was their real set, but they really should stick to the classic bird-logo caps during games, IMO.

For the Rays, as confusing as it may sound, two of those shades of green aren't really part of the color scheme. I used greenish shades of off-white and grey as neutral colors instead of regular white and grey because I felt it fit in better with the overall look. The core color scheme only has three shades of green: hunter green, kelly green, and mint.

xLmjWVv.png

I like your ideas, I'm just not a fan of your template. The "Irish rainbow" for the Rays in particular looks pretty cool. I also like the addition of green to Boston's regular color scheme and the added red/navy/green pinstripes for the Yankees (but why no green pinstripes on the cap?). However, I hope the Blue Jays never return to their 2000s look. 

I've always liked the idea of using red and green for the Red Sox, I think it looks unique but still retains some of that Red Sox identity. This is just personal opinion, but I think you could distribute the green more like the Red Sox actually use navy and it would look pretty good. Otherwise, they are still probably my favorite of the division.

I also heavily prefer the current Blue Jays look over the 2000's one, but I still think you made about as much out of it as possible, so nice job on that.

The other set that stuck out to me was the Rays. I actually really like the different shades of green, they blend well with the old logos. I do think it could benefit from making the home jersey and some of the logos white, though. I just think that lightest shade of green is slightly too much. This is still a nice, unique Rays set nonetheless. Nice job.

I've held out long enough - here's my take on the NL East.

WASHINGTON NATIONALS

CAPS:

3b3O9wz.png

Instead of the Walgreens W, the Nats get a beveled version of their classic block W.

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

CqeFI4b.png

Pretty much a throwback to their inaugural uniforms, with one key exception: instead of boring red, white and navy, they now have the Presidential-Seal-inspired color scheme of copper and slate (with black trim), famously worn by the Wizards and Capitals in the '90s. It's a sharp color scheme that represents both the city and the team name without resorting to the laziest trope in sports branding.

BP:

EKNBjr7.png

Black takes center stage on the batting practice uniforms, which also feature a sleeve design based on the DC flag.

xLmjWVv.png

NEW YORK METS

CAPS:

AaMuk2P.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

yY4OmFy.png

The home, road, and snow whites are kept simple, classy and clean. Meanwhile, the blue alternates draw inspiration from their mid-late 2000s batting practice jerseys. I may be the only one, but I actually liked how the wordmark and numbers looked on those. I thought it was the only time they ever used BFBS tastefully.

BP/SPECIAL:

ZPG96uh.png

The drop shadow motif continues onto the batting practice uniforms, but without any black trim. The striping is based on their classic BP look, but tweaked to match the wordmarks and numbers. The Mets also get a foreign-language alternate. I didn't know until I started this series that Flushing had a significant Korean population. In order to pay tribute to them, the Mets get a jersey with "New York Mets" translated into Korean across the front.

xLmjWVv.png

Okay, you've won me over with that Nats color scheme. I really like the thinking behind it, and one less red/white/navy team is always a good thing. Not a fan of the black billed cap and the black BP jerseys remind me of BFBS unis, but everything else is solid. 

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a different shade of gray of the road? Almost looks like it has a brown tint. 

MIAMI MARLINS

CAPS:

zSG8DLU.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

BfVssam.png

CT1UoCJ.png

bXt2ena.png

As you can see, the Marlins would pretty much be the Oregon of baseball and a merchandiser's wet dream. The Marlins have a very colorful ballpark with an even more colorful logo. Why limit themselves to black and orange?

BP:

NeCkD98.png

XfkxEeX.png

The batting practice uniforms feature a different and more subdued take on the rainbow look. Whenever they'd wear one of the color tops, they'd wear the matching BP jersey and cap. When they'd wear the home whites, road greys, or black alternates, they could wear any of the BP looks - though, realistically, I'd imagine they'd default to the black/orange gear.

xLmjWVv.png

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

CAPS:

LEM1tt2.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

8KV71SR.png

The Phillies' script gets a sorely-needed cleanup - as well as a matching city-name script on the road. The old-school maroon and powder blue color scheme makes a comeback.

BP:

UZm1SsC.png

The batting practice gear is inspired by the old-school racing stripe uniforms worn by the great Mike Schmidt and the 1980 championship team.

xLmjWVv.png

Haha, the Marlins look nuts. If any MLB team would do something like this, it would be them, though. One issue I see is that the red and orange are too close in shade. If you're going to include red as an option, make it more of a true red because right now it looks like red-orange, or just drop it from the set. I'd also replace green with teal seeing as the Marlins have never worn green before. 

ATLANTA BRAVES

CAPS:

VUtBON7.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

SkI6EJc.png

The Braves are kept fairly traditional, with the exception of a slightly different color scheme. Instead of red and navy, they now wear red and black. This color scheme fits in with the Falcons, Hawks and Bulldogs without straying too far from the franchise's history.

BP:

rGYPODL.png

The batting practice set draws inspiration from the uniform Hank Aaron wore for #715.

=======================================

Next up: the AL Central.

xLmjWVv.png

Trying to catch up on these teams!

- Braves look great in red and black. I would make the "A" on the red cap white and drop the solid black cap from the set. 

- Sorry, but I hate the addition of black to the Mets. You need some orange script in there somewhere. Other than that, I like that you brought back the '80s "New York" script and the Korean heritage alt is a fun idea.

- The Phillies turned out well, but I would replace the second alt (the one with "Philadelphia" in powder blue) with the third BP option. 

Keep up the good work! I like a lot of these ideas. 

I somehow never realized the copper and slate color scheme for Washington was inspired by the presidential seal. That makes me love it a lot more, and it separates from the other red and blue teams in a way that makes sense, something that I didn't think was possible for the Nationals. I also like the sleeve pattern on the BP jerseys, and think that it'd look good on the regulars. Great job!

Tampa Bay is looks fantastic, philly looks great, for boston get rid of the grey text, for washington use the current "w" cap logo, and lastly for Miami i'd suggest slimming the options for alternates down to three and include some teal somewhere, others look good

Archived