Lights Out's MLB: Entire League Complete!

Lights Out

HOUSTON ASTROS

CAP:

1hcp3M3.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

vP19mPa.png

For sixteen years now, the Astros have arguably been more clueless with their branding than any other team in pro sports. This is a team named for astronauts, located in NASA's backyard, yet they've gone from one old-timey uniform set to another. Looking back at their history, the uniforms that best live up to their name are the '90s set - but even those look kind of dated nowadays. So I took the same general idea, modernized it a bit, and gave them a new color scheme that's meant to conjure up images of deep space.

BP:

UEq8FsB.png

What good is an Astros concept without some Rainbow Guts in the mix?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SEATTLE MARINERS

CAPS:

I1JT4mS.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

IIU1Xmm.png

Nothing Earth-shattering for the Mariners - just a standardized number font, a more tealish shade of grey, the Seahawks' old shade of slate blue instead of boring navy, and some added white here and there to brighten up the look a bit. I also included a subtle nod to the trident era in the pants piping.

BP/SPECIAL:

T5peX5t.png

The batting practice jerseys get modified racing stripes that are meant to look like points on the compass rose. The M's also get a Japanese-language alternate.

xLmjWVv.png

OAKLAND ATHLETICS

CAPS:

EZpHtmn.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

pInfxpI.png

The A's home and road are my favorite uniforms in baseball, so I didn't want to change them too much. The only tweaks here are making the road script more consistent with the home script, changing the grey to a more greenish shade, and bringing back the vastly-superior sleeve patch from the mid-'90s. I changed the alternates to match better with the traditional home and road, and I gave them yellow pants to go with the yellow jersey - a look they've worn in the past.

BP:

mupb1YR.png

The batting practice jerseys are based on their uniforms from the '70s.

xLmjWVv.png

ANAHEIM ANGELS

CAPS:

tEN4PW3.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

3cqVC2D.png

First things first: the absurdity of the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" is over. They're just the Anaheim Angels again, as they should be. As for the uniforms themselves, I replaced navy with the unique periwinkle color they used in the Disney era, and gave them shoulder loops based on the design briefly worn by the Los Angeles Angels of the PCL.

BP:

sg7qvCm.png

The batting practice jerseys are inspired by the halo and the wordmarks in general.

=============================================

Next up: the series concludes with the NL West.

xLmjWVv.png

Great work on rest of the AL West!

- Astros: I really like the nebulae-inspired color scheme. Only nitpick is for the road BP--I'd switch the black and gray, so black lettering on a gray background.

- Mariners: Not much changed here. I like the slightly teal-ish tint to the road grays but it makes it difficult to read the wordmark on the road alt.

- A's: Again, not much changed. I really like the new "O" and the return of the 90's sleeve patch.

- Angels: Nice job here. Replacing navy with periwinkle is a brilliant idea and a clever way to pay tribute to the unpopular Disney-era unis. The shoulder loops look great, too.

Looking forward to the NL West, especially what you have planned for the Rockies & D-Backs.

Will you be doing any tweaks based on feedback you've gotten so far?

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

TEXAS RANGERS

CAPS:

HHxrksT.png

The Rangers get a new DFW monogram to symbolize the Dallas/Fort Worth market they represent. While I'm aware that they play in Arlington, so do the Dallas Cowboys.

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

iG23PdX.png

The Rangers get a modern-yet-classic look meant to evoke cowboys and Westerns. I think the shades of red and blue I selected in addition to the use of vintage white accomplishes that.

BP:

gvlwmkx.png

Because the Rangers' normal uniforms here are so plain, I experimented more with the batting practice jerseys. The BPs are based on two flags from Texas' history. The asymmetrical sleeve design is a nod to the Goliad flag that was raised to celebrate the signing of Texas' declaration of independence from Mexico. The flag itself appears on the opposite sleeve. I wish I could say this is a totally original idea, but I'm pretty sure @Discrimihater has also used a similar idea in the past. With that said, I liked it enough to put my own spin on it - I hope he doesn't mind. Meanwhile, the chest logo is inspired by the first flag of the Republic of Texas.

As a hardcore Rangers fan, I like your ideas. I've always thought their shades of blue and red were a tad on the bright and garish side, so this is a nice evolution, though perhaps a bit too muted. I like the DFW logo but I think the T logo is just too iconic to lose, and the DFW would make a fantastic arm patch.

Love the BP jerseys. Nice work and concept all around.

LOS ANGELES DODGERS

CAPS:

p7bc46n.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

V2UdU5y.png

The Dodgers' uniforms don't change too much. The scripts have been tweaked to match their official script wordmark, which I greatly prefer to the fat scripts that appear on their current jerseys. One quirk I used to like about the Dodgers' uniforms is the blue buttons they used to use on the road, so I brought those back. I also gave them two classy Dodger Blue alternates.

BP:

UVToq7T.png

The Dodgers' batting practice jerseys are inspired by both the aforementioned road jersey and the powder-blue jerseys from the Brooklyn era.

xLmjWVv.png

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

CAPS:

ZePpgJc.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

9Cu44bi.png

The Giants are another team that doesn't change much. I fixed their road jersey, getting rid of the pointless black piping and giving it a wordmark that actually matches the home jersey. I brought back the 2010-2013 orange alternate as well as the 2001-2002 black road alternate. Finally, I gave them a fauxback to the 1916 New York Giants' infamous plaid uniforms.

BP/SPECIAL:

qUrNFJ3.png

The batting practice jerseys are based on a rather eye-catching look from the early '80s. The Giants also get a Chinese-language alternate.

xLmjWVv.png

COLORADO ROCKIES

CAPS:

Eu0UtQ5.png

The number "5280" on the batting practice caps represents Denver's elevation of 5280 feet above sea level. The Nuggets' current court already references this; I thought it would be cool for the Rockies to do the same. After all, the elevation has played such a big role in the Rockies' on-field product that they actually keep all their game balls in a humidor to keep them from drying out. Why not embrace it?

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

qkbCaTt.png

The Rockies get a complete redesign from the ground up, because - let's be honest - they need it. The "purple mountain majesty" theme takes center-stage here, especially on one of the home alternates, which also draws inspiration from the Denver Bears' infamous "strike zone" uniforms.

BP:

McHN8Ws.png

The batting practice jerseys are also inspired by the Bears' uniforms, but in a more subtle way.

xLmjWVv.png

SAN DIEGO PADRES

CAPS:

u2sxXS6.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

pCGzDbm.png

The Padres' uniforms are inspired by several of their looks from the past, including their inaugural uniforms, their early-'70s uniforms, and their late-'70s uniforms. I gave them a more modernized take on their rounded wordmark from the late '70s and early '80s, and topped it all off with some subtle teal trim.

BP:

DXmtmXv.png

The batting practice jerseys take more direct inspiration from the Padres' late-'70s uniforms.

xLmjWVv.png

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS

CAPS:

6jV8VxY.png

NORMAL UNIFORMS:

DSnLUtk.png

For the Diamondbacks, I tried to compromise between what I like most about their current uniforms and the purple era. I kept the bright shade of teal and distinctive dark charcoal road jerseys. However, I eliminated red and tan in favor of purple and gold. I also brought back the snake-skin trim from their old alternates and applied it to the pants. Finally, I gave them new wordmarks and a new font that I think looks better. No more ridiculous "D-Backs" abbreviation - the full team name appears on their home jerseys for the first time since the 2000 season.

BP/SPECIAL:

nqP3kIm.png

No Diamondbacks concept would be complete without me paying tribute to my second-favorite baseball uniform of all time - Arizona's TATC. They also receive a Spanish-language alternate.

xLmjWVv.png

I like the,

Tampa Bay Rays (TWO TONE GREEN, ENOUGHT SAID!!! ^_^)
Philadelphia Quake.... I mean Phillies

Seattle Mariners (the silver green with teal and slate blue is awesome, the teal and slate blue is close to the Seahawks 2002-2011 look)
Los Angeles Angels (the periwinkle blue, medium red, and athletic gold go well together)

Houston Astros (I love the take on banana yellow, black, and then the rainbow guts; but the guts are too muted of colors)

Cleveland Indians (red and brown, hehe very unique there)

Those are the only ones I like is because the way you execute their color themes!

- Dodgers: I like everything but the gray script with white outline on the BP jersey. Very difficult to read.

- Giants: Probably the best of the division. The 1916 fauxback and Chinese alt are exceptional!

- Rockies: I like the purple tint to the road grays and "5280" caps. The "C" is a big generic but it works well within the wordmark.

- Padres: You pulled off a '70s feel without looking dated. I like the addition of teal to the brown and gold.

- D-Backs: I'm a little undecided on these. I really like the new primary logo and the fact that you ditched the "D-Backs" wordmark. However, the turquoise is a little too electric for my eyes and the home BP jersey is practically blinding.

Most of the uniforms are great, the only complaint I have is with the Tampa Bay Rays. The ray on the green uniform looks like it is swimming in the Rio diving pool. But going with the yellow sunburst would make them look like the A's.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

Archived