Uniform number question...

kom22

I got into a debate yesterday and figured I would try the experts on the boards.

What baseball uniform number has the most home runs? We were able to get it down to 25 and 44, but were stumped from there.

Any insight or wisdom?

kom22

Bonds hit 176 with the Pirates where he wore #7 & #24.

There's too many stats to go through all-time to find out the correct answer (unless someone is really, really, really bored) But, I'd have to say #44 because of Aaron and Reggie Jackson(although he didn't wear 44 for his entire career).

What about number 3? You've got the Babe, A-Rod (in Seattle), and probably some others I'm too lazy to look for atm.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I put the top 25 home run hitters into a spreadsheet (yep, I'm really bored):

Jackson got seperate credit for 9 & 44, Griffey 24, 30 & 3, etc.

and the winner is:

03 1832

25 1693

44 1558

20 1134

24 1058

04 1004

09 801

21 588

04 536

14 512

41 512

33 504

29 493

06 475

08 475

31 466

30 138

I put the top 25 home run hitters into a spreadsheet (yep, I'm really bored):

Jackson got seperate credit for 9 & 44, Griffey 24, 30 & 3, etc.

and the winner is:

03 1832

25 1693

44 1558

20 1134

24 1058

04 1004

09 801

21 588

04 536

14 512

41 512

33 504

29 493

06 475

08 475

31 466

30 138

Wow, awesome work on this one. I just wonder how many extra homeruns the average players wearing these numbers got. What number is more common, 3 or 25. Not many wear 44, so I don't think it has much as far as that goes, but the collection of players who have hit say 150-200 career homeruns wearing 3 or 25 is what is going to put one of those over the top.

Ozzie Smith wore number 1 also.

Kom22

Killebrew also wore No. 3.

It was he, along with Ruth and Jimmie Foxx made up the most home runs for players wearing 3.

Luckily, most of the players on the list are in the hall of fame and the HOF website has a listing of thier uniform number and when they wore them.

Also, I realize that #4 is on the list twice. The second number (536) is wrong. Please disregard that.

08 475

That can't be right. Between Cal Ripken, Yogi Berra, Carl Yastremski and Albert Belle (Indians and White Sox years), there have to be more than 475 home runs for the number 8.

Now that I've written that first sentence and checked for myself, Ripken had 431 by himself. Yaz had 452. Not to say that 8 suddenly surges to the lead, but that number immediately jumped out at me as being wrong.

All in all, I don't think you can possibly be bored enough (or have enough time) to do this right. Someone needs to call the Elias Sports Bureau (or whoever MLB's official statistician is these days).

EDIT: I just noticed, upon rereading your post, that you only added it up for the top 25. That would show why the numbers are skewed.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

08 475

That can't be right. Between Cal Ripken, Yogi Berra, Carl Yastremski and Albert Belle (Indians and White Sox years), there have to be more than 475 home runs for the number 8.

Now that I've written that first sentence and checked for myself, Ripken had 431 by himself. Yaz had 452. Not to say that 8 suddenly surges to the lead, but that number immediately jumped out at me as being wrong.

All in all, I don't think you can possibly be bored enough (or have enough time) to do this right. Someone needs to call the Elias Sports Bureau (or whoever MLB's official statistician is these days).

EDIT: I just noticed, upon rereading your post, that you only added it up for the top 25. That would show why the numbers are skewed.

It's the top 25 home run hitters of all-time. That number represents Willie Stargell. All of the players that you mentioned are in the 26-50 range. Maybe later I can expand the list to the top 50 and see where we fall, but some of the players in 26-50 are active and have worn many different numbers over the years, it may be as accurate as I would like.

It's the top 25 home run hitters of all-time. That number represents Willie Stargell. All of the players that you mentioned are in the 26-50 range. Maybe later I can expand the list to the top 50 and see where we fall, but some of the players in 26-50 are active and have worn many different numbers over the years, it may be as accurate as I would like.

I forgot about Willie (probably because I am continuing to repress all memories of the 1979 World Series). In any case, as noted in my edit, I figured out where you were coming from, so I don't mean to impugn your efforts. I actually would be curious to see how the numbers work out, to the extent there is any reasonable way to undertake such a project.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

There's no doubt that my list probably isn't the most accurate, but a pretty good ballpark (excuse the pun) figure. For the older players that are in the hall of fame, I used this webpage: HOF Uniform Numbers.

Players that aren't in the hall, but in the top 25 are harder to figure out (like Fred McGriff's numbers for his various teams and when he wore them). This is the reason that I pretty much stopped at 25. Numbers 26-50 involve a lot more research because of the number of active players.

Truthfully, I think if we all put our brainpower and research skills (and checks & balances) together, I'm sure we could come up with a good list of 1-100.

Later tonight I'll post the names and numbers (and uniform numbers) that I got from the list above so that anyone can double check the figures if they'd like.

EDIT - Concerning Babe Ruth and the number "3". Since the Yankees didn't sport numbers until the late 20's (1929, I think and even then, just on the home uniforms), should I credit all of his home runs, or just from '29 and on?

Here's a spreadsheet (converted to html).

Home Run List 1-50

This includes the top 50 HR hitters of all time. The first column is the players ranked from 1-50 and broken down by uniform numbers. The second column puts these in order by uniform number. And finally, the number of uniform numbers ranked by number of home runs.

Note: N/A is for players that did not wear numbers. I included all 1929 totals for the Yankees, rather than trying to figure out home/away, since technically players were already assigned those jersey numbers for that season.

Wow. The response I got from this was greater than I ever expected. I saw there was a book available about the history of uniform numbers available at Borders the other day. I thumbed through it but saw nothing that jumped out immediately. The book had rosters for every team for like 80 years including numbers. If someone is a real number junky, the book may be an outstanding resource.

Here's the book:

Now Batting, Number...

kom22

Wow. The response I got from this was greater than I ever expected. I saw there was a book available about the history of uniform numbers available at Borders the other day. I thumbed through it but saw nothing that jumped out immediately. The book had rosters for every team for like 80 years including numbers. If someone is a real number junky, the book may be an outstanding resource.

Here's the book:

Now Batting, Number...

kom22

I saw that book in the Clearance Bin at Barnes and Noble last week. I may have to make a return visit.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Here's the book:

Now Batting, Number...

kom22

Picked it up on my last B&N raid last weekend. It's in the queue, behind about 5 other books I am intending on reading... when works lightens up... and the wife's pregnancy is over... and I can stop moonlighting to repay student loans... and I'm not cramming for boards... and trying to get my golf swing into some kind of shape... *SIGH* It's on the list. :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived