your opinion on pro cycling

I love watching Le Tour De France every July and now I'm wondering if anyone else on here likes watching pro cycling as much as I do, so please let me know.

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

I think it's been a while since a current rider failed a drug/doping test during the Tour de France.

Not that drugs really matter for historical purposes....they're not racing the exact same course every year. They're not racing against the previous years' times. It's still hella difficult to ride for over 2,000 miles on a bike in three weeks.

I watch the Tour every year.

The flat stages are a bit tough to watch. The main contenders aren't giving their max efforts.

Given, I don't watch the other cycling tours, but I've been watching the TDF for nearly 20 years. Back then, it got basically an hour-long show of condensed cycling on late-night hours on ESPN. But somehow, I got hooked and watch it annually. Phil and Paul are masters at describing the action, and NBC has really enhanced the coverage the last few years. They have a live reporter riding on a motorcycle giving updates, they have a couple of former cyclists in the studio, and they actually air the race live.

I'm with Hedley on this. I'd hardly claim to be a pro cycling buff or anything but given that it happens in July when sports are at a lull and given that Liggett and Sherwen are, IMO, up there with the best broadcast duos covering anything I usually end up getting pretty into Le Tour each year

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

thanks for letting me know I was just wondering about it

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

That and he basically goaded the world into trying to take him down. That's generally not a clever move when you can easily be taken down.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also the fact Armstrong became a transcendent star, meaning that anything surrounding him got coverage across the media, whereas when they ban a Spanish guy who won the Tour de France once no one in the wider media, particularly in this country, cares

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I know I've watched the Giro d'Italia, Tour de France and Vuelta a Espana are the three grand slams of cycling each year. These men that try to conquer the race each and every year are top of the top athletes. Yes in the past cyclists have been caught doping trying to get that edge. But not within the last three years now. Everyone is pretty much on a level playing field. The training regime, the focus, the technology of the bikes at the moment are a sight to watch. These giant tours of 3,500 total km traveled are not just fun to watch for the individual riders trying to win the general classification (yellow jersey). But watching all the other competitions occurring within the stages and entire tour: individual stage wins, points classification (green jersey), mountains classification (polka dot jersey), young rider classification (white jersey), team classification and combatitvity award. Plus what can you say about the amazing pictures from the different countries that these races are held in. From the long farm fields to the beautiful mountain views to the hustle and bustle of cities. With this year's first three stages being held in the UK was a great accomplishment by the English to get it from Leeds to London. I listed to all the build up on BBC 5 Live the week of the Tour and the English love their cycling. I also especially love seeing the riders come down the Champs-Elysees each year. What a view that must be. Plus you have to say pro cycling is a HUGE sport in Europe because of the number of fans that turn up each and every year to catch just a glimpse of the peloton, including the maillot jaune, maillot vert, maillot a pois, and maillot blanc.

I agree that Liggett and Sherwin are one of the best commentating duos in any sport at the moment, I know they get me pumped up especially when the riders are in the last km of the stage. That's when Liggett and Sherwin shine! With all the major cycling events plus a lot of the UCI Pro Tour being televised on Sportsnet One here in Canada, being able to catch world class pro cycling is even easier now. I remember when the Tour de France was the only race televised each year and it was through OLN.

Plus this year was special with Vincenzo Nibali winning the Tour.

- He was the tenth Italian to ever with the Tour and the first Italian since Marco Pantani in 1998

- He entered a very exclusive group of cyclists (6 total) to win the Giro d'Italia, Tour de France and Vuelta a Espana. And he's only 29

- He's the current Italian national cycling champion

2010 Vuelta a Espana

v8gfav.jpg

2013 Giro d'Italia

4vit0g.jpg

2014 Tour de France

b9gb9v.jpg

Plus a little side note: Slovakian Peter Sagan is only the second rider to win three consecutive maillot vert. Germany's Erik Zabel won 6 straight maillot verts from 1996 to 2001. Now that is consistency!

Give me the Tours each and every year!

Archived