Iowa/Kent State throwbacks

raz

Iowa, Kent State to wear old-fashioned uniforms at Sept. 4 opener

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) ? When the Iowa football team faces off against Kent State in the Sept. 4 opener, the teams will be wearing old-fashioned uniforms.

The throwback attire will be worn in celebration of Kinnick Stadium?s 75th anniversary, said Greg Morris and Bill Dervrich, who came up with the idea last winter.

After hearing concerns from some players, Morris and Dervrich assured them that they won?t be wearing leather helmets and they will have facemasks as they take on the Golden Flashes, who also will wear throwback uniforms.

?They said, ?We?re going to get facemasks, aren?t we?? I said, ?Yeah, don?t worry about it,?.? said Morris, the Iowa football equipment manager.

Otherwise, Morris said he thinks the Iowa attire will look much like it did in 1939, with players sporting white pants and black jerseys, which won?t have their names but will include solid gold numerals to match the Iowa helmets.

Kent State will wear gold pants and white jerseys with blue numbers.

The throwback uniforms were unveiled this week at the University of Iowa Athletics Hall of Fame.

?(The players) love ?em,? said Dervrich, the Iowa football administrative assistant. ?When they heard about it back in January, when it started getting around that we were going to do the throwbacks, they were real excited about it.?

Others at the game including sideline officials, cheerleaders, dance team members and program vendors will wear old-fashioned uniforms. The Kinnick Stadium playing surface will also be painted to resemble the era.

?We?re hoping all the fans get involved with it, too,? Dervrich said.

Morris said even Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz will get into the spirit. He and the Hawkeye assistants will wear throwback slacks and t-shirts.

Powers Manufacturing Company in Waterloo is producing the retro uniforms for the teams.

The Iowa athletic department will keep some of the throwback uniforms for permanent display and auction items. Morris said some of the Hawkeye players have already purchased theirs.

The rest will be on sale at http://www.heroeswanted.net, a university-sponsored Web site.

Yeah, I heard about this a while ago. Shoulda posted something I guess. But when I originally heard they were going with throwbacks I was hoping to see the wings back out again. :D

Here are the uniforms:

hawkuni.jpggoldenflashuniform.jpg

Complete Uniform Set From Game Will Be Available for $500. Apparently this is the first time any official collegiate game gear is being sold to the public.

sig09.jpg

Agreed...they look great except that Nike had to make sure their logo stood out as much as possible....also the fact that they used one of the new Riddel goofy helmets in their picture. I love what Oklahoma did for their throwbacks and what the Vols will be doing for their opening game against UNLV. I will post a picture of those when I can get it.

I'm just surprised to see Kent State breaking out retros as well. Usually it's only the home team who wears the throwbacks. I was kinda hoping for the wing jersey too. I liked them when Iowa broke them out in 1994.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Actually that is supposed to be their 1930's style gear according to hawkeye sports. It's just screened instead of sewn on. Which is understandable if Kent payed for them since their budget for football is significantly smaller.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Actually that is supposed to be their 1930's style gear according to hawkeye sports.

I've just never seen any team wear pants with those kind of wide stripes before the 70s.

Kent State isn't exactly a legendary program, so it would be hard to find pictures of their unis back in the 30s and 40s. If anyone has something, please post it up.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any pictures but I worked at Kent State. That's probably supposed to be the 1972 uniforms they wore in their last bowl appearance. The helmets will probably be done like the Jets did theirs in the NFL's 75th season based on the school's budget. I don't see them getting a set of helmets for one game unless Iowa pays for them.

The thing for the Kent State Uniforms said:

Authentic Golden Flash Throwback Game Uniform

Kent State football kicks off at 11:05 am September 4th in the 2004 Throwback Classic. Own a piece of Kent State football history in one of the uniforms worn by the Golden Flash when they invade historic Kinnick Stadium looking to ground the high flying Hawkeyes.

Iowa is coming off another strong campaign under Coach Kirk Ferentz which saw them end the season dominating Florida in the Outback Bowl and finishing 8th in the final AP rankings. They remain a strong national power.

This is a rare opportunity to own a piece of Golden Flashes football history with the purchase of a throwback jersey and pants. This is the first time an official collegiate, game worn uniform is being offered for sale to the general public. Let's show the country what Golden Flash football is all about!

Supply is extremely limited. Act now to reserve your historic uniform.

Call 866 354-2957 or BUY NOW

IOWA is making all of the money off selling them so the helmets might show up too.

Sweet Iowa unis - 1939 circa but looking good!!! I would like to be there but I'll be coaching my kids.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived