US State Flag Concepts (Mississippi & Wisconsin)

DolphinManatee

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here is the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. No reason for the shape other than because it is maritime-y. Other than that, the flag is the same as the current one minus the state motto ("Hope"), plus a new, more legible shade of gold. Here is the flag:

Flag_of_RI_Concept_zpsb9d558ea.png

Leave any comments, if you wish.

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

Love that design for Little Rhody.

I also like the design for Kansas, but I'm not so sure on the green. Personally I would think a Cerulean Blue or Ultramarine, but if you want to stick with the green I would make it a warmer shade. As in adding more red or yellow to it.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Up next is Iowa. I made two flags because I couldn't decide on what to do. Both flags have a kernel of corn in the middle. Flag #1 has colors pertaining to corn. Flag #2 has colors pertaining to the 3 state public universities in a somewhat geographical order. Here are the flags:

Flag_of_IA_Concept_1_zpsf956b207.png

Flag_of_IA_Concept_2_zps712285e1.png

Please choose a flag and help me improve upon it. Thank you.

Up next is Idaho. The diamond shape represents the state nickname "Gem State." The dark reddish color is garnet (taken from Florida State's color palette because I don't know what garnet is other than it being one of FSU's colors) because the state gem is the star garnet. The brown color is russet (because potato). Here is the flag:

Flag_of_ID_Concept_zps8e94284a.png

Any constructive comments would be welcome. Thank you. :)

1. Rhode Island: Nearly flawless, I love the updated flag shape, the two colors keep it clean and I like that you kept the stars and anchor. However, I think the Hope motto plays strongly in RI and is an important part of the flag.

2. Iowa: I feel like I shouldn't love the 4/5 color flag, but I do. The only change I would make is removing the white from the kernel. I think the idea works without the white and makes the flag a little more abstract and less literal.

3. Idaho: I love the colors, although I think putting a star -- similar to this one (http://0.tqn.com/d/homeschooling/1/S/v/7/idgem.jpg) -- rather than the diamond would work much better. I think it might even work with just two colors (garnet and brown) with the star in the middle of the flag, almost mimicking the Sicilian flag.

4. If you keep the green on the Kansas flag, I like the version with the more vibrant greens better than the warmer color update.

Thank you for the comments.

Here is a couple of Iowa updates. (I'm not really feeling it on the Drake addition to the second flag, mostly because it is not a state university, that yellow/gold is not Drake's secondary color, as opposed to the state universities, and I feel like there are too many colors.):

Flag_of_IA_Concept_1_zps303a02bf.png

Flag_of_IA_Concept_2_zpsbf46392e.png

And here is an Idaho update. (Had to leave the garnet and russet separated, to me they don't look good touching each other):

Flag_of_ID_Concept_2_zps408a4b36.png

I hope everybody is having a happy holiday season.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Up next is Mississippi. I tried to make it uncontroversial while making something that resembles the Magnolia State. So I used these 3 colors: blue from Ole Miss, a red that is combined from both Ole Miss' red and Mississippi State's maroon, and an off-white color called magnolia. I then put a magnolia flower in the middle. Here is the flag:

Flag_of_MS_Concept_zps37abe713.png

I look forward to your C&C.

Lastly (at the very least for this year), here is Wisconsin. The flag is patterned from the face of a badger, that is about it. I'm not sure if many Wisconsinites would like this flag (or many other people for that matter). Here is the flag:

Flag_of_WI_Concept_zps296f86ed.png

I would appreciate any C&C.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that is all the flags I have made. 15 of them (30% of the US states). I'll open this thread up for other state flag suggestions (I would not like to be overwhelmed with suggestions, though), but I would like to have some ideas on things like different symbols and maybe colors (I'd like to keep the flags simple). That is all I have to say, for now. Have a happy New Year! :)

Lastly (at the very least for this year), here is Wisconsin. The flag is patterned from the face of a badger, that is about it. I'm not sure if many Wisconsinites would like this flag (or many other people for that matter). Here is the flag:

Flag_of_WI_Concept_zps296f86ed.png

I would appreciate any C&C.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that is all the flags I have made. 15 of them (30% of the US states). I'll open this thread up for other state flag suggestions (I would not like to be overwhelmed with suggestions, though), but I would like to have some ideas on things like different symbols and maybe colors (I'd like to keep the flags simple). That is all I have to say, for now. Have a happy New Year! :)

I'd probably like it more if I could tell what it was supposed to be without the explanation, but it's still better than our crappy current flag... and much more metal! \m/

:P

I think Wisconsin's problem is a lack of unique civic symbols that aren't kitschy or straight up tacky. It also doesn't help that the urban/rural divide is even more pronounced here than in most states, making it even harder to find something that pleases everyone.

I like the idea for Mississippi, but the flower needs work. I don't think it looks much like a magnolia.

It is supposed to be a simplified magnolia and I don't want to use too many colors, but I'll try to think of something. Here is a reference picture:

749px-Magnolia_grandiflora_-_flower_1.jp

I'd probably like it more if I could tell what it was supposed to be without the explanation, but it's still better than our crappy current flag... and much more metal! \m/

:P

I think Wisconsin's problem is a lack of unique civic symbols that aren't kitschy or straight up tacky. It also doesn't help that the urban/rural divide is even more pronounced here than in most states, making it even harder to find something that pleases everyone.

I agree, kind of. Dairy is too rural (and cheesy*), beer seems like more like a Milwaukee symbol than a Wisconsin one, and many other state symbols seem to be symbols of other states. A badger seems like the only symbol most of the state can agree on.

*(I know, terrible pun.)

I agree, kind of. Dairy is too rural (and cheesy*), beer seems like more like a Milwaukee symbol than a Wisconsin one, and many other state symbols seem to be symbols of other states. A badger seems like the only symbol most of the state can agree on.

*(I know, terrible pun.)

Milwaukee is probably the reason Wisconsin is known for beer, but Chippewa Falls (Liney's), Stevens Point (Point), New Glarus (New Glarus Brewing Co.), and La Crosse (Heilman's/Old Style) are all fairly well-known for their historical breweries. But even then, I'm sure a lot of politicians wouldn't approve of a flag that can be seen as condoning the not-so-great aspects of Wisconsin's drinking culture.

The badger seems to only suck for those of us who went to one of the UW schools in D1 that aren't Madison.

Archived