Fernandina Beach Lacrosse

nitroseed

Which name do you favor?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alright, so, I'm reapplying for a ULL team, since I have way more time on my hands than I thought I would before I started school. That being the case, I need to come up with a decent nickname. I'm basing the team out of my beloved home, Fernandina Beach, Florida. I'll give you a brief explanation of the names (if needed):

Longboarders: For the oceanically inept, longboards are types of surfboards. Surfing is very popular around here, and there are quite a few who opt to ride longboards.

Tigersharks: Common species of shark found around the coast of Florida. Will eat just about anything.

Riptide: Another name for undertow; this is when the retracting current's pull is so strong, it can literally knock you off your feet and drag you underneath the water.

Swordfish: Also common to the waters of the area. Also known as "sailfish," and they look a lot like marlins. Big game fishing is a big hobby here.

Corsairs: Corsair is a fancy name for "buccaneer" or "pirate." Lots of sailing in these waters, and the name is pretty catchy.

I had a few other ideas, but I've since moved on from them. So out of these five, which do you like best? And just FYI, base your vote on just the name only, not whether you think it would make a cool logo or not. Thanks for your help!

I voted for Corsairs but am really pulling for "Colorado Ravage."

:P

Won't happen. :) I have abandoned the Denver fetish in favor of warm sandy beaches and girls in bikinis.

I hope to God you're talking about the city in Colorado and not Gilligan.

I voted for Corsairs but am really pulling for "Colorado Ravage."

Won't happen. :) I have abandoned the Denver fetish in favor of warm sandy beaches and girls in bikinis.

I hope to God you're talking about the city in Colorado and not Gilligan.

Well, Gilligan is a sexy beast... :wub::lol:

well, yesterday i told you 'riptide', but now that you throw 'corsairs' into the mix, i changed my mind.

and i wanna see what you come up with for the corsairs!

and gilligan is one hot mofo!!!!

I like longboarders. Original and reginal specific. If you don't use it, would you mind me coming up with a concept for it? :) Just for design purposes, no fantasy team or anything.

In the words of peter griffin....

"I've got two words for you....Come Onnnnnn"

peace,

pc

And just FYI, base your vote on just the name only, not whether you think it would make a cool logo or not.

You girls can't read.. every last one of you mentioned a logo... and he stated right here, NOT to count that.

What a bunch of maroons.

Riptide.. cool, aggressive, scary name. Rock it.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I'd rank the potential names as follows:

1) Corsairs - A pretty damned unique name (off the top of my head, I can only think of UMass-Dartmouth using it) that has a sophisticated and classy, yet mysteriously dangerous "ring" to it.

1-A) Tigersharks - I've just always loved the idea of a team named the Tigersharks. The names of two deadly creatures combined in the moniker of a single ocean-going predator. Plain and simple... I love it.

3) Longboarders - Again, a name that is not "overdone". It's relevant to the area. I also like the way it combines with the Fernandina Beach place-name... it's a mouthful, but it has a certain flair to it.

4) Riptide - Meh. It's almost "too" self-conciously "edgy". Additionally, it's been done-to-death recently with af2 (San Diego Riptide), women's football (Rhode Island Riptide) and professional women's softball (New England Riptide) teams using it. Plus, I can't shake the 1984 television show of the same name from my head. A sports team name shouldn't be conjuring up images of B-level TV stars Perry King and Joe Penny running around, solving crimes in faded polo shirts and boat shoes.

5) Swordfish - More "meh". I'm just not a fan. Particularly with baseball's Florida Marlins operating just down the road from Fernandina Beach's ULL franchise.

Me? I'd go with Corsairs or Tigersharks... with Longboarders as an outside consideration.

Brian in Boston

4) Riptide - Meh. It's almost "too" self-conciously "edgy". Additionally, it's been done-to-death recently with af2 (San Diego Riptide), women's football (Rhode Island Riptide) and professional women's softball (New England Riptide) teams using it. Plus, I can't shake the 1984 television show of the same name from my head. A sports team name shouldn't be conjuring up images of B-level TV stars Perry King and Joe Penny running around, solving crimes in faded polo shirts and boat shoes.

. . . . and let us not forget an album by the late Robert Palmer.

. . . . and let us not forget an album by the late Robert Palmer.

Well... that goes to show you how persuasive an image of Perry King and Joe Penny the name "Riptide" conjures up in my mind's eye. They even manage to banish Robert Palmer from my subconscious. For that reason alone the Fernandina Beach Riptide should never see the light of day. :P

Brian in Boston

I voted Corsairs but when I read that originally, the Corsair planes immediately popped into my head. Though I guess the pirate connotation makes more sense for the location. Riptide seems like an RHI name that would be spelled with a "z"...even though there's no "s".

Point(s) taken. Riptide won't be the name, regardless of if it wins or not. :D

That aint right! You dun swept the rug out from under us Riptiders!

I haven't even heard of the San Diego Riptide, Rhode Island Riptide, or the New England Riptide! I'm not aincient enough to remember the 1984 television show of the same name! I dont know who Perry King and Joe Penny are! I dont own any boat shoes!

Riptide is a cool name. Old fogies (of which you are NOT one yourself, Nitro) be damned! The cooler name shall prevail!

:P:D^_^B)

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I haven't even heard of the San Diego Riptide, Rhode Island Riptide, or the New England Riptide!

Well... broaden your sports identity/logo horizons. Do a little research.

I suppose you could be forgiven for never crossing paths with the Rhode Island Riptide; after all, they're a marginal women's profesional football team. But come on... the San Diego Riptide's a member of af2 in a major American market. As for the New England Riptide, they're a member of the MLB-sponsored National Pro Fastpitch league... and their logo - as well as those of the league's other teams - were featured in a thread on these very boards.

Riptide... oooooohhhh, it might pull you under. Scary. :P

:D Brian in Boston

Bah! Research! Thats like studying, which invoves reaching, and using brains.

I like sitting no my ivory tower, casting aspersions! It is funnerer this way!

ΓΔΒ!

Archived