Shaq to Miami?

DEAD!

Intersting to see what the Lakers will get out of this, I read somewhere that Dwayne Wade was the only guy Pat Riley was saying would be off limits!

Its looking like the NBA could be very competetive next year, a good 6-8 teams could be serious contenders!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Wow -- in the face of anyone who said the Lakers wouldn't get anything for Shaq. :D

I would have to say the Lakers got the better end of this -- and if they resign Kobe, they are gonna be one of the NBA's elite teams again.

IUe6Hvh.png

Wow -- in the face of anyone who said the Lakers wouldn't get anything for Shaq. :D

I would have to say the Lakers got the better end of this -- and if they resign Kobe, they are gonna be one of the NBA's elite teams again.

What are you smoking Odom is an underacheiver with a hiistory of drug problems, Grant is overpaid, and Butler is just adequette.

Shaq is the most dominat force in the NBA, the Heat will make it further in the playoffs tehn the Lakers mark my words.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

That's if Kobe can play next year.

Wow -- in the face of anyone who said the Lakers wouldn't get anything for Shaq.  :D

What are you smoking Odom is an underacheiver with a hiistory of drug problems, Grant is overpaid, and Butler is just adequette.

Shaq is the most dominat force in the NBA, the Heat will make it further in the playoffs tehn the Lakers mark my words.

Haha, good pun Tank. :lol:

I think (From limited knowledge about basketball) that it's a decent trade for both sides. Odom used to play in LA, for the Clip I think.

I think Kobe is much more of a gamble then Shaq to keep, though, what with the prison thing. Plus, is he going to stay?

The Lakers have agreed in principle to trade Shaquille O'Neal to the Miami Heat, apparently ending a triumphant and tumultuous eight-year run in which the team won three NBA championships, team and league sources said Saturday.

In exchange for O'Neal, one of the greatest players of his era, the Lakers will receive forwards Lamar Odom and Caron Butler, center Brian Grant and a future first-round draft pick, the sources said. None of the players coming from Miami has been an All-Star. The deal cannot become official until late Tuesday night, when the league's two-week moratorium on trades and signings is lifted.

O'Neal arrived as a free agent from the Orlando Magic in 1996, heralding the beginning of what many envisioned as a long-running championship dynasty, one pairing the game's most imposing big man with another new arrival, teenage rookie guard Kobe Bryant. Their dominance took hold in the 1999-2000 season with the arrival of Coach Phil Jackson and the first of three consecutive titles, even as the two superstars occasionally feuded. But it all fell apart last season amid open rancor between the two and felony rape charges against Bryant.

The Lakers didn't comment on the deal.

The agreement to trade O'Neal was reached on the day the Lakers introduced Rudy Tomjanovich to replace Jackson, who departed three weeks ago after Laker owner Jerry Buss declined to offer him a new contract. The trade ? as with Jackson's exit ? is widely seen as a move to placate Bryant, who is a free agent after opting out of the final year of his contract, though whether he will rejoin the Lakers remains uncertain.

Regarding your assessments of Caron Butler and Lamar Odom -- I must ask what YOU are smoking?

Odom is an underachiever? Then he must have some serious potential if he can average 17 points and 9 boards per game and be considered an underachiever. Not to mention, he is only, either, 25 or 26 years old.

Brian Grant can be a 10 rebound guy, as he has proven in his career.

Sure, Caron Butler was only 9 ppg and just about 5 rebounds at SF -- but um, Caron Butler was only in his 2nd year and was a lottery pick, considered to be the man with the most upsi, aside from Yao Ming, in the 2002 draft by alot of NBA Analysts. He's only 23 or 24 and has tremendous upside.

IUe6Hvh.png

Odom is definately not an underacheiver by any means. Playing out of position the whole year at PF where he is a natural SF. He managed to average 17 points a game and just under 10 boards a game, also 4 assists a game, 1 steal a game and .9 blocks a game. Also not to mention a 30 point, 19 rebound, 11 assist outing against Sacramento I cant see any downside to his game. He is a very versatile player that will indefinately contribute in LA.

Caron did have an off year, but that shouldnt be concerning after 15 points a game in his rookie year, and 13 a game and 9 boards a game in the playoffs.

The trade looked pretty even in my eyes. The Heat get the most dominant big man in the game who will become even more dominant in the undersized East. The Lakers get rid of Shaq's 25 million contract and go younger with a starting lineup that will consist of Gary Payton, Kobe Bryant?, Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, and maybe Brian Grant at center.

Well, Miami's gotta be a favorite to win it all, cuz bah gawd they've got Shaq in the East...

But the thing that perplexes me is the fact that Miami has {or had} such a young, talented core, and they're throwing away three pieces of that long term thing for a huge short term gamble in Shaq

Miami can't be a favorite to win it all. Remember that certain team in Detroit that beat both Shaq and Kobe when they were on the same team? Yeah, they're back -- and the Lakers didn't do anything without Kobe Bryant, historically. Dwayne Wade is a damn good player, don't get me wrong, but he's no Kobe Bryant.

There's good teams in the East, and while they may not be able to beat the Heat downlow, they'll be able to do it by other means.

IUe6Hvh.png

Detroit isn't back, YET. Remember Sheed is an unrestricted free agent, not a restricted one, so anyone can sign him for the right amount. Right now I'd say Detroit still has the best chances of signing.

Archived