Re-branding my School (v 7)

Htown1141

I got inspiration from the other school rebranding concept on here

I have a picture of my school's logo to compare what I see everyday when I walk into school. It sucks.

I have an idea about it, and I was wondering if this great forum had some great C&C

Current Mine

2IhDmFS.png1DisCzh.png

This looks really plain. I would try adding some detail lines or shading. Without it it the shape looks funny. Also the eye is a weird shape I would try fixing it or trying to add a pupil. Another thing, I would try to smoosh it in a little more, the head is too big. Right now it looks pretty unfinished try making the stroke around the beak a little thicker. You've got an okay base right now but it needs a lot of improvements.

"You play to win the game...Hello. You play to win the game." - Herman Edwards

"We talkin' bout practice?" - A.I.

"What’s that? Ah — playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game." - Jim Mora

That's better. I would rotate the eye clockwise a little bit, he looks like he's staring into the ground. Bring back a pupil as well, that will help it out. You've really made good progress on this! What program are you using? That will make it easier to give C&C as well.

spacer.png

Illustrator CC

That's better. I would rotate the eye clockwise a little bit, he looks like he's staring into the ground. Bring back a pupil as well, that will help it out. You've really made good progress on this! What program are you using? That will make it easier to give C&C as well.

Illustrator CC

It's getting there. It certainly has a better shape to it, but the red inside the logo is . . . confusing. Why is the red there? Is it a highlight? A shadow? The best logos can be shown in black and white. If you look back at my design you can see if you change the color of the light blue to white and the navy to black it's still the same logo. Your design however, if you change it to black and white there is not outline encapsulating the red inside the head, as a result that would be white and would be lost.

A rule of thumb, a good logo is a shape, then you add smaller shapes into that design. Look at my design once again, I have the overall shape, then I have the light blue shape and the three white shapes.

Your logo however looks more like shapes that have thin outlines, minus the big red shape. See the difference here?

Okay, lets take a look at what I've done here.

Eagle-1_zps636ec12d.png

Number 1 is your current logo and number 2 is your logo in black and white, the simplest form of a logo, pretty empty to me. If you look at number three you will see I traced over your logo in simpler forms (simple is better). I also gave it a 10 pt outline (not a stroke), Object > Path > Offset Path, select an object and use that method to give something an outline.

As we look to number 4 we delete your logo and merge the outer most outlines to form our basic shape. You'll also notice we have two beak shapes and an overall head shape plus a more appropriate eye shape with a brow. As we shift to picture 5 I've filled in the shapes and created a rough draft of the eye shape.

On to picture six, we have our shapes, but remember simple is better. Your logo has a lot of empty space and you've been filling it with random shapes. Here I simplified our design. I gave sharp points to what needs sharp points and refined the eye shape. I've also added a defined light source, from the top (the easiest). So instead of all that pink there I refined the shape to a highlight shape and added a highlight shape to the "cheekbone" area since eyes usually sit inside the head thus the cheekbone sits out a bit justifying the highlight.

As you see in picture 7 we fill in the shapes. Currently just two colors, the pink and blue, which can be changed to black and white really easy. Again, a one color logo (black, white is empty) is the simples form of a logo.

Which then leads us to picture 8. We can finally fill in the logo with our colors we so choose, in this case black, red, and white. I also took liberty to add a white highlight to further express a sense of depth to the design.

So there you have it. Look at what I show you and learn from it. You can only get better from practice and even more practice. Take your time and play around.

THANK YOU SO MUCH :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::notworthy::notworthy:

• 10 months later...

Been a while since I posted on a topic of mine, but recently I've gone back and worked on this, along with some other projects I will post. After months of practice, a lot of tutorials, and recent updates to illustrator, I feel I've gotten this log to near perfection.

QCy5eLW.jpg

Archived