Illinois Football Concept

pcgd

Yeah...I really really really wanted to put cheif illiniwek on them, but they don't use it on official uniforms anymore. Its still an official emblem, they just don't use it. The only university sponsored group that I know that uses it is the Marching Illini. They don't even use it that much. You can buy officially licenced shirts, hats, anything with it. Just not uniforms.

I'm still coming up with something for the helment. I had something, but it ended up looking like the terps old design, and the other idea I had (the circle block I) looked pretty nice. I might update it later with blue helments and that logo.

I wouldn't want Illinois to be one of Nike's experiements either, but they definatly need an updated look! I would love to see even your sketches. I had so many ideas and this was the best one that translated in illustrator. I was trying to do something similar to what the bears linemen wear. (pinstriped sholders, very indiscrete, you have to really be looking for it.) They need something. The basketball team is one of the best in the nation, they need something as well. Its gotten better since the days of Keewan Garris and Richard Keene, but its not outstanding. Maybe they've got something for their National title run this year!

peace,

pc

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those sorta look like the new Kentucky uniforms...

damn, they kinda do. I didn't notice. Oh well. Here's a new helmet. I stayed with the boring circle I logo they've been using. Its really not that bad from a design standpoint, but from a sports logo, it recks.

illhelmet.gif

I love the orange helmet and pants they have now, so I don't care for that new helmet. I'm open to a new helmet logo, but I love the orange and the striping they have.

Sometime I'll try to turn the sketches into something. Football wise, I've played around with having the block I sit on sleeve stripes (hard to picture maybe), and basketball wise, I've toyed with having a block I run down the side of the uniforms, or have the uniforms actually be a block I from the front and back (again, maybe hard to picture).

Bump bumity bump bump bump. I promised myself I'd never do it :( oh well, everyone else does.

OH...after looking at the old Illinois helmets, I will be coming up with yet another one :) They've never strayed from orange so I shant either. So tis not really a bump now is it? MY STREAK IS ALIVE!!!! <_<

[edit] Wow, after seeing that posted, way to many emoticons.

I like these a lot! They're very modernized without being overdone, utilize Nike's piping obsession nicely, and are 100 times better than those horrendous Illinois pumpkin jerseys they wore this year!

On a side note, I don't think they look like the Kentucky uniforms. Sure, they have the piping in common, but Kentucky used the same text and placement on their football uniforms as on their basketball uniforms. The piping was basically the outline of the KY basketball jerseys with sleeves on them and I don't see that similarity at all in this case. Good Stuff!

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

It took me about 5 mins into that game to decide I hated them. I was gonna give them a chance, but...my eyes started hurting.

It reminded me in HS when we played this team in the playoffs. The New Berlin Pretzels. (Not that New Berlin Milwaukeeians) They wore bright orange jerseys and on tape they were just glowing. You couldn't read the numbers at all. Be it bad taping or just bad jerseys. But that game reminded me of them.

I think these look awesome. I like the socks, but I would put the circle I logo or Chief Illinewik on the side of the socks. I know they moved away from him, but I think the chief on the helmet was the best looking helmet they had

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Indiana tossed those uni's because Nike took over and the coach wanted to go to the more traditional Indiana colors. I think they were great but the logo was rather uninspired. A weak version of the 49er helmet.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think these look awesome. I like the socks, but I would put the circle I logo or Chief Illinewik on the side of the socks. I know they moved away from him, but I think the chief on the helmet was the best looking helmet they had

I could be wrong, but I don't believe they ever had cheif illiwek on the helmets. from looking at one of the helmet websites, I saw they've only had orange helmets with orange or white facemasks, and either "ILLINI" OR "ILLINOIS" written on them.

I think when stuff settles down at work and i get my portfolio page up and running, I'll be revisiting this.

:D I wouldn't be surprised. Its a good point. They go after the team names, but not the state, city, region, river, lake, etc. names. If one is in honor, why is the other automatically mocking?

On the Illinois helmets, here are some ideas:

1. Go back to having the word "ILLINI" in blue letters like they did in the 1970's and 1980's.

2. Use orange helmets, and I liked the block I idea (Orange "I" on a blue background), but instead of putting it in a blue circle, how about putting it on a blue map of Illinois?

3. Same idea as 2, but have the map of Illinois decal be orange on the helmet with blue and white trim and a letter "I" in white with blue trim.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

It took me about 5 mins into that game to decide I hated them. I was gonna give them a chance, but...my eyes started hurting.

It reminded me in HS when we played this team in the playoffs. The New Berlin Pretzels. (Not that New Berlin Milwaukeeians) They wore bright orange jerseys and on tape they were just glowing. You couldn't read the numbers at all. Be it bad taping or just bad jerseys. But that game reminded me of them.

It's possible I saw them as different for three reasons...

1. They are the Illini...automatically awesome (though, I will criticize the stupid black on their navy b-ball uni..)

2. Orange is my favorite color.

3. I was at the game...different lighting maybe.

Archived