Super Bowl LII Host Logo

Mac the Knife

I thought the NFL said that they were only using numbers for SB 50 and then going back to the Roman numerals.

I thought I read that this is the last year of roman numerals, and they're going to just use numbers from here on out.

Nope the Roman numerals come back for LI. They just wanted to avoid them for 50 because they had some issue with it being just Super Bowl L.

The host committee for the 2018 Super Bowl (Super Bowl LII, the 52nd Super Bowl, or whatever you want to call it) has tweaked its logo to look more like the stadium being built, and less like the roman numeral "LII." In the introductory video for it, "Super Bowl LII" isn't mentioned, with references to "the 2018 Super Bowl" instead.

sb-logo-big.jpg

Could this potentially be a signal that the NFL, having committed to "Super Bowl 50" rather than "Super Bowl L," is making a conscious effort to gradually drop roman numerals and go with a year-based reference?

Call me crazy here, but the letters inside the logo look like MIN to me.......(except that the right leg of the M is skewed)

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

I noticed this past year that the custom XLIX logo was used a lot. Was that the committee's logo? Or an alternate logo?

That was the alternate wordmark, wasn't it?

Yeah, the alternate. It's been seeing more and more use as they've realized that the generic logo doesn't sell as well.

Objection, Your Honor. Assumes facts not in evidence. :P

I remember when WrestleMania had a stretch where XVI was "2000" because everything was 2000, then "X-Seven" for XVII because I have no idea, and "X-8" for XVIII because again help me here.

Yes. They stopped that silliness for WrestleMania XIX. They went mostly back to Roman numerals, but used regular Arabic numerals for 21, 22 and 23. They left the number off the logo entirely for 29 and 31 (this year). Even when they didn't use numbers, they still referred to the events by their sequential name outside of the 2000 and X-Seven, which they actually referred to as "Ex-Seven." X8 was pronounced "eighteen," at least.

Maybe worse than that, the 25th event was called "WrestleMania 25th anniversary," despite the fact that it was actually the 24th anniversary of the first WrestleMania. Survivor Series isn't given numbers, but they made the same mistake a few years back referring to the 25th occurrence as 25th anniversary.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived