Super Bowl LII Host Logo

Mac the Knife

The host committee for the 2018 Super Bowl (Super Bowl LII, the 52nd Super Bowl, or whatever you want to call it) has tweaked its logo to look more like the stadium being built, and less like the roman numeral "LII." In the introductory video for it, "Super Bowl LII" isn't mentioned, with references to "the 2018 Super Bowl" instead.

sb-logo-big.jpg

Could this potentially be a signal that the NFL, having committed to "Super Bowl 50" rather than "Super Bowl L," is making a conscious effort to gradually drop roman numerals and go with a year-based reference?

nav-logo.png

Could this potentially be a signal that the NFL, having committed to "Super Bowl 50" rather than "Super Bowl L," is making a conscious effort to gradually drop roman numerals and go with a year-based reference?

No. Host committee logos have absolutely nothing to do with the eventual Super Bowl game logos.

No. Host committee logos have absolutely nothing to do with the eventual Super Bowl game logos.

True, but when's the last time a host committee made such a (relatively) subtle change to its logo?

nav-logo.png

I thought the NFL said that they were only using numbers for SB 50 and then going back to the Roman numerals.

I thought I read that this is the last year of roman numerals, and they're going to just use numbers from here on out.

Any word on if the NFL will get rid of the bland gray logo they've been using the last 5 years and go back to individual and original logos for each Super Bowl? Because that would be nice.

I thought the NFL said that they were only using numbers for SB 50 and then going back to the Roman numerals.

As we all know, that was the plan, but maybe something will change their mind.

Perhaps a slew of letters addressed to the woman who makes that decision would do the trick...

[campaign?]

nav-logo.png

I thought I read that this is the last year of roman numerals, and they're going to just use numbers from here on out.

Nope.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11031941

"The NFL will go back to using Roman numerals for Super Bowl LI in Houston in 2017."

I for one am glad they are going back to Roman numerals in 2 years. I think that is such a great unique thing that the Super Bowl does that no other of the major sports championships do. I'm fine with one year of the 50 but thankfully it'll be back to Roman numerals

I for one am glad they are going back to Roman numerals in 2 years. I think that is such a great unique thing that the Super Bowl does that no other of the major sports championships do. I'm fine with one year of the 50 but thankfully it'll be back to Roman numerals

Yeah, I suppose it's the better call after all.

The only number we ever use for historic reference are years, & we use the season year at that (which isn't even the year of the actual event with the new year turnover)... or simply team matchups.

Everyone knows Bears-Patriots, 49ers-Bengals, Packers-Broncos, etc...

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I remember when WrestleMania had a stretch where XVI was "2000" because everything was 2000, then "X-Seven" for XVII because I have no idea, and "X-8" for XVIII because again help me here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived