Need input on a new logo! High School athletics branding

heycurly

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forums, but I've been a long-time admirer of much of the work that goes on here. I was wondering if you'd like to offer some insight on a branding project I'm working on. My old high school wants to establish a separate brand for the athletics department, and the first step in such a process is a new logo. I thought I'd submit an idea based on logos I found in old yearbook photos from the 1950's. Our school was founded in 1891, so I'd like to leverage the historical aspect and stick to the classic varsity look. Our primary colour is a burgundy (R134 G38 B51), with an antique cream colour (R214, G210, B196) as an accent.

Here's where the process started; a hockey picture from 1952:

Old%20A.jpg

...which turned into this:

A1.png

Then I tried adding some outlines...

A3.pngA2.png

Thoughts? Suggestions? Etc?

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards, first off.

As for your logo, it's not much of a logo right now. I like the block A, but the outlines, especially the left one, feel forced. The right one is better, but still forced. One thing that could really help us is telling more about your high school, especially the school's name. An A can represent so many different things. Work to have it represent the high school better.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Thanks for the input. I experimented with several different ideas and suggestions on how to outline the A, but in the end, the un-outlined version started appealing to me (see Oklahoma, for example...).

I agree it's not much of a logo right now; I'm more at the development of a letter mark at this point. Once the letter mark is finalized, it will be easy to incorporate it into some logo concepts I have in mind.

Any how, the 'A' stands for Ashbury, and they've never really had a mascot for most of their existence. They took on the name "Colts" in the early 2000's, but no one really identified with it and it will probably be phased out. As an old, prestigious school, I feel there is a bit of a sense that they need no mascot, nor anything fancy. Tradition and history is very important, which is why the connection to the past is paramount.

Get rid of the outer black line on the second one, and I'd say you're set. It's simple, classic, and some people might say that's a bad thing. Sleuth's right.

This is what I'd call a "litmus test logo": either you like it or you don't. However, the notion that a school doesn't need a mascot is just absurd to me. There's a college with Fighting Okra as a mascot, for crying out loud. You can make anything work - it's just a matter of finding a way to work what you want in to the style you have going.

Good luck!

Here it is without the black line:
A4.png

Thanks for the tip about the black line. I'm starting to get design fatigue from this thing!

Here's an open question for everyone: What is your opinion about the anatomy of the 'A'? In all my research I haven't found a single capital 'A' with a trapezoidal counter (i.e., the space inside). I've grown accustomed to it, but again, I'm second guessing myself because: fatigue.

It's really too bad that the school doesn't identify with a mascot, but then again, they didn't think it was necessary for over a century. In the private school world, the more historic institutions are often simply know by a single name. That said, I'd like to see the teams renamed the Lions or the Pride, since there's a rampant lion in the school shield.

Welcome to the boards, first off.

As for your logo, it's not much of a logo right now. I like the block A, but the outlines, especially the left one, feel forced. The right one is better, but still forced. One thing that could really help us is telling more about your high school, especially the school's name. An A can represent so many different things. Work to have it represent the high school better.

By the way, I'm really glad to have an Auburn fan weigh in on this! In fact, one of the early iterations looked exactly like the Auburn 'A'! I really like the Auburn wordmark font--do you happen to know what it is?

Here it is without the black line:

A4.png

Thanks for the tip about the black line. I'm starting to get design fatigue from this thing!

Here's an open question for everyone: What is your opinion about the anatomy of the 'A'? In all my research I haven't found a single capital 'A' with a trapezoidal counter (i.e., the space inside). I've grown accustomed to it, but again, I'm second guessing myself because: fatigue.

It's really too bad that the school doesn't identify with a mascot, but then again, they didn't think it was necessary for over a century. In the private school world, the more historic institutions are often simply know by a single name. That said, I'd like to see the teams renamed the Lions or the Pride, since there's a rampant lion in the school shield.

Then make one. These are a concepts board for that very reason!

A-logo-badge1.png

Here's the badge logo concept. C&C?

Now that looks good! I'm a big fan of this thing.

As for you question regarding Auburn, the wordmark itself is just traditional Copperplate Bold. The logo itself is completely different (saw on a different forum long ago that people thought the logo was two letters from the typeface put together). There's actually a good piece on how the logo came to be on The War Eagle Reader

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

As for you question regarding Auburn, the wordmark itself is just traditional Copperplate Bold. The logo itself is completely different (saw on a different forum long ago that people thought the logo was two letters from the typeface put together). There's actually a good piece on how the logo came to be on The War Eagle Reader

A-logo-badge1.png

Here's the badge logo concept. C&C?

Cool story! I'm sure that has happened a lot in the past, although some times the results aren't the best! Branding can get so tied up in focus groups and bureaucracy that often one person just goes ahead and makes something and it sticks. In the case of our school, the football coach just ripped off the Crimson Tide 'A' and used it for years before anyone called him out on it. Oops.

I can relate to what you are trying to do. My high school is pretty proud with a nice storied past, although not as old as yours. My high school uses Maroon and White... we recently added black as an official color but its (thankfully) kept to accents, and actually looks really nice. We don't fully embrace the mascot, and prefer a block "M" to any sort of logo. We go by the "Flyers," and formerly the mascot was Snoopy flying the Red Baron, but obviously that changed. Now our mascot is a pegasus... which isn't exactly embraced... but the "Flyers" moniker is, just not as much as our block "M" and simply going by "Maryvale."

By no means was our branding perfect, but I attached some pictures.

Here are our usual logos.

eBjLZhm.jpg

The block "M" and the "Flying Pegasus" usually aren't used together, but I like them. This pegasus is painted on the gym floor.

VHF55Rk.jpg

This block M and Pegasus are frequently found together especially for sports, when more than a solitary block M is being used.

3xYiBTU.jpg

Previously we used the Philly Eagles football helmet. I personally liked the idea, but you know... legal...

Recently, football switched to a block "M" with a "Flyers" ribbon across. It looks pretty nice.

qDek756.jpg

The hockey team has some pretty template designs but they recently did a "Vancouver Millionaires" throwback which looks sharp, and even better because except on the goalie, most of the pant shells match the cream on the jersey.

bKTCwew.jpg

I think you're on the right track to be way BETTER than this, and I figured that I would throw out some inspiration.

Presenting: my very first stab at a uniform concept!!!

Here is the home kit:

AC_Hockey2.png

Away:

AC_Hockey1.png

And a throwback alternate based on a uniform I saw in a 1909 team photo:

AC_Hockey3.png

I await your judgement thoughtful comments and constructive criticism!

Here are our usual logos.

eBjLZhm.jpg

The block "M" and the "Flying Pegasus" usually aren't used together, but I like them. This pegasus is painted on the gym floor.

VHF55Rk.jpg

This block M and Pegasus are frequently found together especially for sports, when more than a solitary block M is being used.

I thought this was really cool and well done, but then I realized it's the Bronco's Logo for the head :/

The home and away are super duper solid. Simple but classic looking. From a personal stand point, I like how the block "A" contrasts with the rounded numbers. What's the crest you have on the shoulders?

The Alt could use a bit of work. It looks a bit bland to be perfectly honest, and since we're doing concepts I think you could "faux-back" it a bit and pull simple design elements from the crest, just to give it a bit more flare than just a color block. The fleur de lis and the chevron stand out to me as possible inspiration.

Also, its nitpicky, but make sure you color in the collar green on the back of the Alt!

Overally, very nice work, and I hope you do more of it.

I thought this was really cool and well done, but then I realized it's the Bronco's Logo for the head :/

Definitely based on the Broncos...there are subtle, and by subtle, I mean really subtle differences with the nostrils and ears being the most noticeable. I didn't think it's too bad for a public high school at least compared to either the outdated or down right completely stolen logos most of them use where I am. (Definitely exceptions to this statement.)

The home and away are super duper solid. Simple but classic looking. From a personal stand point, I like how the block "A" contrasts with the rounded numbers. What's the crest you have on the shoulders?

The Alt could use a bit of work. It looks a bit bland to be perfectly honest, and since we're doing concepts I think you could "faux-back" it a bit and pull simple design elements from the crest, just to give it a bit more flare than just a color block. The fleur de lis and the chevron stand out to me as possible inspiration.

Also, its nitpicky, but make sure you color in the collar green on the back of the Alt!

Overally, very nice work, and I hope you do more of it.

Thanks for your input! The alt does seem rather uninspired, but I'll try some of your suggestions. In general, they want to separate the school coat of arms from the athletics branding, so I'm not beholden to historical precedence!

And thanks for pointing out the collar on the alt. Embarrassed!

Here is the shield that is on the shoulder as well as some concepts for a monogram. The idea is to have a simple, secondary element that can also be used.

Ashbury%20Tertiary%20Marks.png

Question about monograms: Should they incorporate the lettermark "A", or should it be in the workmark typeface?

• 4 weeks later...

It's soccer time! Thanks to this awesome template, it was easy!

Ashbury%20Soccer%201.pngf

The home kit takes the chevron from the academic/corporate shield logo.

Ashbury%20Soccer%202.png

The secondary is a throwback to the 1930's and 40's.

Ashbury%20Soccer%203.png

The alternate uses another element from the shield: the lion rampant.

C&C's, yo!

Archived