(American) football in Europe

Paperino

I thought it would be interesting to check out what is happening with this sport in Europe. However, american football wasn't popular at all before few decades, but in last decade it start growing fast (at least I know for my country).
Since I am from Serbia I'll introduce you some teams from here and hope that guys from other part of Europe could tell about football teams in their countries (names, logos, colors, etc).

banner.jpg

I'll start with top 3, so:

WILD BOARS facebook_photo_download_1015155045483893
Based in: Kragujevac, Serbia
Colors: Black and White
Championships: Serbian league 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Central European Football League 2006; and played EFAF (European federation of american football) cup finals in London against London Blitz.
Name: Wild boar is one of a heraldic symbols of central Serbia region (Ĺ umadija), also you can find it on serbian flags during Serbian revolution in early 19th century (against Ottoman empire). However, wild boar is on a current coat of arms of city of Kragujevac.

--------

VUKOVI (Wolves) maxresdefault.jpg

Based in: Belgrade, Serbia
Colors:
Maroon and Yellow
Championships: Serbian cup 2005; Serbian league 2007; Serbian superleague 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013; Central European Football League 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013.
Name: The wolf is very popular animal in serbian tradition, it played quite a significant role in the Slavic mythology and folklore.
The first american football game in Serbia was played between Vukovi Belgrade and Wild Boars Kragujevac (Wild Boars won).

--------

DUKES 10154431_710097099117212_288604411881970

Based in: Novi Sad, Serbia
Colors: Blue and Yellow
Championships: Central European Football League 2015.
Name: Novi Sad is city in northern part of Serbia called Vojvodina which literally means Land of Duke, or duchy.

banner.jpg

SIRMIUM LEGIONARIES
slider1-1170x449.jpg

The oldest american football team in Serbia.
Based in: Sremska Mitrovica, Serbia
Colors: Green and White
Best result: finished second in regular season (Serbian league) 2007
Name: The hometown of the Legionaries, city of Sremska Mitrovica (previosly Sirmium), has its historical roots in the Roman period (Sirmium was one of the most important cities in Roman empire). This led to the club name Legionaries - brave and fearless Roman soldiers.

banner.jpg

This is cool! It's interesting to see football teams whose traditions and names can be dated back to the ROMAN EMPIRE, that's a damn long time. I won't be able to contribute too much but I will be following this thread, thank you paperino for introducing me to this!

This is cool! It's interesting to see football teams whose traditions and names can be dated back to the ROMAN EMPIRE, that's a damn long time. I won't be able to contribute too much but I will be following this thread, thank you paperino for introducing me to this!

No, thank you. I'm glad that you found this interesting. There's one more team in honour of Roman empire.

IMPERATORI (Emperors)

Nis-Imperatori1.jpg

Based in: Nish, Serbia

Colors: Orange and Black

Best results: semifinal playoff Serbian superleague 2014

Name: The hometown of the Emperors was also hometown of Roman emperor Constantine the Great, so this led to name team Emperors (Imperatori - serbian).

banner.jpg

ROYAL CROWNS
10131_1.jpg?020711172435

Based in: Kraljevo, Serbia
Colors: Purple, Yellow and White
Championships: Balkan American Football League 2013
Name: ''Kraljevo'' literally means ''the King's town''. Also, Royal Crowns on October 7 celebrates the first anniversary of the club and a club patron saint St. King Stefan the First Crowned, in honor of the first seven serbian kings crowned in Žiča monastery (seven crowns are also central motif in coat of arms of city of Kraljevo).
Royal Crowns are under the patronage of HRH Prince Aleksandar Karađorđević - so full club name is Royal club of american football Royal Crowns.

banner.jpg

This is interesting, thanks for sharing. I honestly didn't think American Football was being played anywhere other than North America. Cool stuff!

A few years ago, I emailed back in forth with someone at the, now extinct, BAFL (British American Football League) he said that its pretty competitive in Europe, but its more on the level of NCAA than anything NFL or NFL Europe but on the field.

There is also a World Cup of American Football:

http://ifafworldchampionship.org/

This is interesting, thanks for sharing. I honestly didn't think American Football was being played anywhere other than North America. Cool stuff!

A few years ago, I emailed back in forth with someone at the, now extinct, BAFL (British American Football League) he said that its pretty competitive in Europe, but its more on the level of NCAA than anything NFL or NFL Europe but on the field.

It literally starts today, the first game is in 30 minutes.... how did this allign so perfectly?

It literally starts today, the first game is in 30 minutes.... how did this allign so perfectly?

Well, I didn't know about this world cup.

There are 33 national teams in Europe. Serbian national team is 10th ranking (in Europe).

Also, I don't know much about american football in other countries in Europe. London Blitz played EFAF (European federation of american football) cup finals against Wild Boars (Serbia).

I know about few teams (from Hungary, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia etc.) which are playing Central European Football League with some teams from Serbia, and Bears from Sofia which plays Serbian league (probably because there aren't enough teams for league in Bulgaria). In Serbia there are 33 american football clubs, maybe ten or eleven of them have coaches and at least one player from USA.

I really hope someone from some other european country will tell us more...

banner.jpg

Newest am.football club in Serbia, formed in 2015.
VRANE (Crows)

kaf_vrane_cut.jpg

Based in: Vranje, Serbia
Colors: Black and Yellow

Name: It's easy to notice similiraty between names city of Vranje and Vrane (Crow). In its first mention town was named Vrane (Crows), until 1093 when byzantine princess Anna Komnene changed it to Branea (latin) or Vranje (serbian). Also, ''vran'' is old term in serbian for ''black''.

banner.jpg

ESPN is showing the IFAF game in Canton right now. Japan vs. Mexico. I haven't been able to locate the logos online, but Mexico is busy! Kind of a Barcelona Dragons look. Alternatively, Japan looks like Nebraska.

Australia and Brazil played earlier. Australia had a kangaroo on their helmets and Brazil's logo looked a lot like the Jacksonville Jaguars current logo.

Archived