NHL Low-Res

Thaumatrope

I put this together a while back and figured you guys would appreciate it. The idea came about as a result of the back and forth regarding the Penguins and whether or not the Bruins "owned" the black and gold color scheme. It got me thinking about what would happen if every team had to be reduced to just two colors, and no combination of colors could be repeated. While I ended up using three different shades of blue, two shades of red, and a combination of both yellow and vegas gold, I'm pretty happy with the results overall. The teams are in alphabetical order, top to bottom, left to right. The one exception is Arizona which I accidentally positioned as Phoenix.

Would love some feedback.

nhl_low_res.png

New York Islanders and Washington Capitals are very similar in colors.

And I am assuming that New Jersey is the team at the top of the 4th column and Minnesota is the team at the far right of the 2nd row but either way, one of those teams is out of order. New Jersey could be red jersey with black stripes and that would allow Minnesota to be dark red jersey with green stripes.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

Thanks for the responses.

I honestly don't know why I opted for red with green striping with the Devils. Red and black really do look nicer and it frees up red and green for Minnesota. I also don't know how I managed to get Minnesota between Toronto and Vancouver. I'm guessing I mentally filed them under W for "Wild". Anyway, I took this as an opportunity to get everything properly arranged, so the teams should be laid out as follows:

Anaheim, Carolina, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay

Arizona, Chicago, Edmonton, Nashville, Philadelphia, Toronto

Boston, Colorado, Florida, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Vancouver

Buffalo, Columbus, LA, NYI, San Jose, Washington

Calgary, Dallas, Minnesota, NYR, St. Louis, Winnipeg

Overall I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. By stripping away logos and striping patterns and only using unique two color combinations I feel like we get an interesting perspective on how some teams have done a great job of branding colors (Nashville to name the most recent success story) while others have really struggled (I'm looking at you Carolina and Florida). 

nhl_low-res.png

7 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I like the idea but why not differentiate the striping patterns?  You could still replicate the teams uniforms in that low res style.  Maybe not exactly but close.

I think his point was to identify which teams had a solid enough identity to be recognized with only two colours from their scheme.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

5 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

I think his point was to identify which teams had a solid enough identity to be recognized with only two colours from their scheme.

You are correct. I realize "low-res" may not have been the best title, but "NHL two color branding exercise" seemed a bit much. 

What I'd love to (or love to see someone else do) is to take these color schemes and build back up into more polished identities. Case in point: I really like the Tampa Bay color scheme of "aloha blue" and black. I'd love to see a rebrand based on those two colors with silver and/or white as supporting colors. 

If the point of this was to quickly identify the teams, you've failed.

Washington looks like Edmonton, New York Rangers look like Columbus, and Dallas looks like Hartford.

Edit. And Ottawa has never worn puke green. Their jersey should look more like Chicago.

22 minutes ago, ScotM said:

If the point of this was to quickly identify the teams, you've failed.

Washington looks like Edmonton, New York Rangers look like Columbus, and Dallas looks like Hartford.

Edit. And Ottawa has never worn puke green. Their jersey should look more like Chicago.

He hasn't failed. His point was to see which teams had a unique enough identity to be identified with two colours.

Of course New York looks like Columbus, they have the exact same colour scheme.

I don't see where you get the Ottawa green; they're clearly in tan and white.

I see where you're coming from, but you don't seem to understand the point of this.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

I made an attempt too.

Conundrums: Edmonton / NYI. Flipped Edmontons color scheme to the one they use on their thirds. 

Montreal / Washington. Montreal using their normal red/blue and Washington using normal red and the blue from the Eagle-era. 

Tampa Bay / Toronto. Tampa Using their Honolulu Blue from their old thirds as main.

Chicago / New Jersey /Minnesota (!). New Jersey with Forest Green like back in the days. This caused a flip for Minnesota, but they're promoting their green jerseys hard, I guess it works.

nhllores.gif

Archived