1950 MLB Caps

MG helmets

I do so much Illustrator work, I thought I'd play around in PS a bit. I did this with 1972 and 1982, But I thought I'd do a 1950 set of MLB caps and have a little fun and make one like it might look on a 1950's TV. Just something fun to waste a little time.

1950-caps-grass.jpg

1950-caps-tv.jpg

That's a lot of Wishbone Cs :D . . . 

. . . and I still love that Phillies cap.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Your era projects here have been very fun and fascinating to view! Great job, and love the 50's TV filter!

I think this one is most intriguing because when compared to the '72 one, you can definitely see a huge difference in color choices. I think this is because before the spread of color TV, so many teams with similar colors was (understandably) not a big concern. You didn't compare and contrast teams' colors back then because you only ever saw them at the ball park or on programs. 

The advent of some teams acting to switch things up - such as the A's - was a very good thing for the time. If a team was to change their colors to differentiate from the rest of the majors and break off of traditions to do it, that was the prime time to do it. 

That does bring up another thought, though: while there are still many teams in blue and red left, I don't think it would be expedient for these teams to make that kind of a shift now. I'm thinking of concepts like Cleveland in brown and red, or the Twins in Vikings colors, etc. Back then, most of those teams only had a few decades (or even less) of history in said color schemes and - with their colors barely being seen by most for the first time consistently - they could afford to drop them off. Now though, those histories in those colors are much more extensive and identities are much more cemented in them now. Such color changes to differentiate then, I feel, would be much more detrimental to an identity than advantageous. In short, those teams "missed the train" and are better off keeping what they have.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

6 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Your era projects here have been very fun and fascination to view! Great job, and love the 50's TV filter!

I think this one is most intriguing because when compared to the '72 one, you can definitely see a huge difference in color choices. I think this is because before the spread of color TV, so many teams with similar colors was (understandably) not a big concern. You didn't compare and contrast teams' colors back then because you only ever saw them at the ball park or on programs. 

The advent of some teams acting to switch things up - such as the A's - was a very good thing for the time. If a team was to change their colors to differentiate from the rest of the majors and break off of traditions to do it, that was the prime time to do it. 

That does bring up another thought, though: while there are still many teams in blue and red left, I don't think it would be expedient for these teams to make that kind of a shift now. I'm thinking of concepts like Cleveland in brown and red, or the Twins in Vikings colors, etc. Back then, most of those teams only had a few decades (or even less) of history in said color schemes and - with their colors barely being seen by most for the first time consistently - they could afford to drop them off. Now though, those histories in those colors are much more extensive and identities are much more cemented in them now. Such color changes to differentiate then, I feel, would be much more detrimental to an identity than advantageous. In short, those teams "missed the train" and are better off keeping what they have.

Excellent points.

Great work.  But that's not the right B logo for the Dodgers.  Here is what a 1950 Dodger cap looked like:

5669406475_cfa642786e_z.jpg

We see this cap on the 1951 Topps cards.

Image result for 1951 topps dodgers

Image result for 1951 topps dodgers

The loops of the B are round; and the flair on the upper and lower reaches of the B's vertical line are thick.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Great work.  But that's not the right B logo for the Dodgers.

The loops of the B are round; and the flair on the upper and lower reaches of the B's vertical line are thick.

Thanks for the info

These projects are quite a bit of fun. I like seeing all the caps/helmets, etc. from a particular year lined up like this. It reminds me of the various mid-century Cubs programs that would show all the caps from the NL.

One thing: is there a reason why the Pirates' cap is navy instead of black?

6 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

These projects are quite a bit of fun. I like seeing all the caps/helmets, etc. from a particular year lined up like this. It reminds me of the various mid-century Cubs programs that would show all the caps from the NL.

One thing: is there a reason why the Pirates' cap is navy instead of black?

Guess I shouldn't do these things on a week of no sleep. Made some fixes

1950-caps-tv.jpg

1950-caps-grass.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived