Great informative KC Arena Article

Ez Street

Congratulations to Kansas City on passing the proposition - now bring on the NHL!

Yes, congrats to KC.

As for the rest of my home state (or should I call it my "former" home state?)...

:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhhh, i can see it now......great games against some great rivals....

St. Louis, Colorado, Minnesota, Chicago, and even that one team from Toronto. Oh don't think i forgot about you Creamer. I believe the Maple Leaves beat the Scouts in their first ever NHL game.

As for the rest of my home state (or should I call it my "former" home state?)...

:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

I get it.

I was really surprised at the margin by which Amendment 2 passed. I'm not surprised at the result, just the margin. Given the large Democratic turnout, I would have thought the margin would have been a bit smaller.

OK, side discussion over, back to Pucks for KC!!!

Congerts getting the Arena passed. However, building a stadiu/arena without a team is risky. Just look at what happened with St. Pete, they were in talks with the Chi-Sox and then Chicago built New Comisky. St. Pete was left with a stadium and no team (alright, they had the lightning for 1 or 2 years but that was temporary). 7 years later they finally got a team, but it has been a disaster. So, I wouldn't be too excited if I was a KC resident, just because there will be an arena doesn't mean there will be a KC team. KC should make sure a team is going there before building an arena.

THE NHL IS COMING TO.....KANSAS CITY!!!!....KANSAS CITY HERE IT COMES!!!! :notworthy:

Pardon my little intro there, but words cannot accurately express the overwhelming sense of joy and anticipation that is coursing through my young body at this moment! I am a die-hard fan of my Kansas City (born and raised here, booyeah), and for years I've had to suffer the constant feeling of inferiority that comes with losing both NBA and NHL teams with no hope of getting them back. I've had to watch more and more events and programs abandon ship from the ever-sinking Kemper Arena, which I appreciate for what it did but abhor it for what it is doing to our town. THANK GOD that KC was able to see past the lies and the fear and actually allow the door to be opened to a better tomorrow. When you've got Little Rock, Omaha, and Oklahoma City (all great towns dont get me wrong, but hardly major cities) kicking your @$$ with new arenas, is there any real choice?

I really cannot wait and see what is awaiting KC in the near future! SWEET!!!

P.S.=It is interesting to note that I did find some ppl who supported what the arena could do, but voted against it for an actually legitimate gripe....They were protesting the involvement of Sprint, who is pledging millions of dollars to the arena despite having laid off rounds of workers quite recently. Just letting others know that there is always two sides to everything.

P.P.S.=OH, and why is Kemper so awful? Imagine a relatively bland, stout graying elephant of an arena sitting smack dab in the most barren of wastelands (KC stockyards), that is badly rundown and filled with plenty of birds but no major sponsors or amenities of any kind. I mean, literally, the only things in sight of Kemper for many many blocks are The American Royal Building...some railroad tracks....uhhh.....oh, and a busload of decaying, abandoned warehouses, with only one running restaurant (The Golden Ox, which is damn good but pricey). Proof that in terms of real estate...LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!!

P.P.S.=OH, and why is Kemper so awful? Imagine a relatively bland, stout graying elephant of an arena sitting smack dab in the most barren of wastelands (KC stockyards), that is badly rundown and filled with plenty of birds but no major sponsors or amenities of any kind. I mean, literally, the only things in sight of Kemper for many many blocks are The American Royal Building...some railroad tracks....uhhh.....oh, and a busload of decaying, abandoned warehouses, with only one running restaurant (The Golden Ox, which is damn good but pricey). Proof that in terms of real estate...LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!!

Sort of like this:

front.jpg

That's not hard to imagine as a NJ Devils fan. At least you have 1 resturant around it, the Meadowlands has none. Your right location is everything.

Congerts getting the Arena passed. However, building a stadiu/arena without a team is risky. Just look at what happened with St. Pete, they were in talks with the Chi-Sox and then Chicago built New Comisky. St. Pete was left with a stadium and no team (alright, they had the lightning for 1 or 2 years but that was temporary). 7 years later they finally got a team, but it has been a disaster. So, I wouldn't be too excited if I was a KC resident, just because there will be an arena doesn't mean there will be a KC team. KC should make sure a team is going there before building an arena.

Acutally that's why AEG was brought in. They are going to strive to get a Pro team. Besides, they have publicly said they don't need a franchise to make money. It will make money without having a major tenant. Plus having the NABC Hall of Fame and Concerts will help make it a sucess. Not to mention a whole entertainment district around the facility.

Well, if the stadium is downtown it would probably be a success. No like I said if it's like the Meadowlands or the Trop in St. Pete were it out of the way and the only way you get there is by driving through traffic. Then It would probably fail without a team.

Hey Jkrdevil, I know exactly how you must feel with an absolute dump like Continental Airlines Arena! I drove past it visiting my grandparents in Joisey, and noticed it really was in the middle of freaking nowhere!!! Hopefully for you, since the Devils have proven to be quite the winners in recent years they will be able to pool some money to move into a new arena in NJ as soon as possible.

And, isn't it ironic? I mean.....The Kansas City Scouts played in a boring pill-shaped box in the middle of nowhere known as Kemper Arena.....The Colorado Rockies played in the equally barren, milquetoast McNichols Arena.....And finally the New Jersey Devils squander about in the horribly dated oasis Continental Airlines Arena....God truly does have some sense of humor it seems lol....

Hey Jkrdevil, I know exactly how you must feel with an absolute dump like Continental Airlines Arena! I drove past it visiting my grandparents in Joisey, and noticed it really was in the middle of freaking nowhere!!! Hopefully for you, since the Devils have proven to be quite the winners in recent years they will be able to pool some money to move into a new arena in NJ as soon as possible.

And, isn't it ironic? I mean.....The Kansas City Scouts played in a boring pill-shaped box in the middle of nowhere known as Kemper Arena.....The Colorado Rockies played in the equally barren, milquetoast McNichols Arena.....And finally the New Jersey Devils squander about in the horribly dated oasis Continental Airlines Arena....God truly does have some sense of humor it seems lol....

It'a not ironic if you think about it. In the 70's all arenas and stadiums were put in the middle of nowhere. The Devils are supposed to get a new arena in Newark. So maybe that will happen.

Oh and by the way, it's spelled Jersey and pronounced that way ^_^^_^

One problem with an NHL or NBA team in KC would be the fact that, both of their seasons will be running at the same time as Big XII basketball and after the novelty of a new pro team in town wears off, if the team still stinks, people would rather spend their time and money on college basketball. Having said that, I've never seen a regular season pro basketball or hockey game and can't wait for the opportunity and would support a team if and when it comes. One option that probably will happen soon would be to have an Arena Football team.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Kemper has been sufficient for it's means - we've had nothing (xcept the ABA Knights & IHL Blades & BIG XII BB) since we have no pro-Arena teams the push for the arena has not been a priority. We've had no one push for a major league franchise - IMO, I don't think the NBA is interested in the KC area, I could see St. Louis being better suited for the NBA. Besides we don't have any groups pushing for an NBA franchise. On the other hand, we have groups pushing for gaining an NHL team - I would hope that hockey would come to KC, at least a level below the NHL. Maybe a relocated team - we'll see in time.

The arena is not scheduled to open till 2007. Neil Smith (former Chiefs & Bronco) has a group of investors and they are interested in an Arena Team. He still has a New Orleans style "cajun kitchen" here in the KC area. I'll keep you informed.

The Big XII is important to the KC area (big time) College Basketball is a higher priority than the NBA. The NBCA (coaches association) has pledged 10 million dollars to the project - the arena will house a 'basketball Hall of Fame' inside the arena, that's their deal.

It will be good to have a new arena - Kemper Arena is a nice place, old yes, but the city has put $$ into it over the past decade and upgraded it. More than just cosmetic work - the arena is better than when it first opened in the early 1970s.

I know, I've seen the change. The arena will become a downtown fixture - Anyway, that's how I see it.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

THE KANSAS CITY AIRPORT IS 35 MILES AWAY FROM KANSAS CITY WITH NOTHING ELSE AROUND!!!!!!

haha, when i was comng back home from KC on I-29, i noticed the exits for the KC airport, all I could think was "what the hell... I though KC was way back there"

whats up with that?

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Most major airports aren't really that close to the central part of town. See also: ORD, DEN, DFW, CVG, SFO...

MCI is a WEIRD airport, though. WEIRD.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Most major airports aren't really that close to the central part of town.  See also:  ORD, DEN, DFW, CVG, SFO...

MCI is a WEIRD airport, though.  WEIRD.

Halifax is about 30-40 km out of town....Nice place, though...

Tampa is the best airport I've ever been to, though. Easy, easy, easy.

Houston has a tax on rental cars and hotels that is supposed to help pay for the building of Minute Maid Park and Reliant Stadium. I believe the Toyota Center was a different issue altogether.

It has not hurt the hotel and rent-a-car business here.

CVG stands for Covington, where the airport is located.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Archived