MLS 2018 with Digby -- updated 2/13 (Real Salt Lake)

Digby

Hi everyone -- had a good time making my 2017 MLS series, so now I'm going to start a similar series for 2018! Once again I'm using the SS Kits template from the Football Manager community, just this time I'm swapping homes/aways from my 2017 series, of course. Also, just to keep things fresh, I'm going to go in reverse order from the last series and work my way backwards through each conference alphabetically. Also will do full sets for LAFC and Miami when I get to those, though I suppose I'll have to design my own Miami badge, eek!

EAST:
Atlanta United / Chicago Fire / Columbus Crew / DC United / Miami / Montreal Impact / New England Revolution / New York City FC / New York Red Bulls / Orlando City / Philadelphia Union / Toronto FC 

WEST:
Colorado Rapids / FC Dallas / Houston Dynamo / LA Galaxy / Los Angeles FC / Minnesota United / Portland Timbers / Real Salt Lake / San Jose Earthquakes / Seattle Sounders / Sporting Kansas City / Vancouver Whitecaps

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Going to start things off with two kits:

For Vancouver Whitecaps, they've not had the most exciting away kit history, and I'm keeping up that proud tradition here! I didn't want to use the powder blue trim because I feel that's becoming a bit overused, and plus their navy blue is really nice on its own I feel. Took some inspiration from one of my all time favorites, the late-00s argyle Olympique Marseille jersey.

van_away.jpg

For Sporting Kansas City, I cheated a little bit and reused the template from the NE Revs jersey I finally decided on in my last series. But I added a faux-heather texture as well since that's very in right now, and SKC are always the club to have the most on-trend looks in the league. Plus I think it looks nice with a dark navy trim.

skc_away.jpg

Both of those look really nice! I look forward to following this series as I work through my own 2018 MLS thread. I really enjoyed your 2017 series and I think it'll be cool to see some of the ideas you and I come up with for the 2018 kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 minute ago, upperV03 said:

Both of those look really nice! I look forward to following this series as I work through my own 2018 MLS thread. I really enjoyed your 2017 series and I think it'll be cool to see some of the ideas you and I come up with for the 2018 kits.

For sure! And hopefully we won't come up with too many of the same ideas. ;)

I've got two more this evening!

First one is San Jose Earthquakes -- kinda boring actually. :) I stuck with what they've been doing since the rebrand, which is redoing the home kit but in the 70s vintage red and white color scheme. Here I also gave them a different template than what I did for the 2017 home, but the base design is the same. Realism!

sj_away.jpg

Also, here's a 2018 home for Seattle Sounders. I thought it'd be good to bring back some more white trim to balance out the tonally-similar green and blue. The watermark is, I think, a topographic contour map of Mount Rianier, though I certainly don't know enough about that kind of thing to be certain!

sea_home.jpg

On a side note, I really need to come up with a new 2018 shtick for the shorts and socks.

It's a good thing you did bump because I haven't checked the boards for awhile and was pleasantly surprised to see you had posted some new designs! I like both of them, especially Seattle, but one suggestion I would make would be to flip the shorts and socks color on the Quakes kit so that the gradient flows into the shorts. Look forward to seeing more!

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Thanks all!

13 hours ago, upperV03 said:

It's a good thing you did bump because I haven't checked the boards for awhile and was pleasantly surprised to see you had posted some new designs! I like both of them, especially Seattle, but one suggestion I would make would be to flip the shorts and socks color on the Quakes kit so that the gradient flows into the shorts. Look forward to seeing more!

That's a good suggestion -- I did a straight color swap from the blue/black home, but the sharper contrast in red/white could have used a different treatment.

Hello again -- been awful busy with work things lately, but managed to crank out a new away kit for Portland Timbers. (You may notice that in my reverse ABC order, Real Salt Lake is supposed to be next. I am bad at the alphabet and also at remembering RSL. Oops!)

Apparently Portland has already said they're going to go away from the "Rose City Red" shtick for their away kit in 2018, but I don't like that idea, so I'm ignoring it. In recent years Portland has been putting a lot of black in their aways, resulting in an entire kit set that's all dark -- I wanted to avoid that and keep it all-red, so it's at least pretty midtone to contrast with the dark home. I also wanted to try a floral pattern on a jersey, and let's be honest, that fits Portland for multiple reasons.

That said, it looks absolutely terrible when I upload it to this post, but looks fine on my computer. Any ideas?

por_away.jpg

Okay, now I'm ready with a belated run on a Real Salt Lake home. Traditionally they've paired the claret jerseys with navy sleeves and shorts -- recently they've gone away from that in favor of all red, but I brought back the latter at least. I've also wanted to do a jersey with a sorta hockey sweater type shoulder yoke, and I did that here to keep the prominent navy accents alive.

rsl_home.png

Archived