Busch Stadium's Replacement To Be Called . . .

yh

Here's the story . . .

No real surprise there. The Brewery and the Cards have been intertwined for over fifty years and the relationship never really changed even after the Busch family sold the team. Although my image of "Busch Stadium" will always be the concrete doughnut with the crown of arches, it's nice to keep the name for the new joint.

What you mean Enterprise Rent-A-Car didn't get it? Damn, what a shame. It wasn't a good week for that company. Maybe they should stick to Renting Cars. I'm glad to see it will remain Busch Stadium. My Dad has been a Bud man for over 20 years. He used to Drive a route for the local distributor. Now he currently drives AB products to the Budweiser distributors throughout Kansas. So needless to say, we are a Budweiser Family. I plan on comming to the new Busch once it is completed.

Enterprise has chosen not to get into the naming rights game. They had a chance with the Ed Jones Dome (twice), Savvis Center (twice) and Busch Stadium III. They've always been satisfied with secondary advertising like interior signage, dasherboards and scoreboard panels. That way, rather than concentrating on one building, they spread it around a lot of venues.

And, EZ, let me know when you want to make that maiden voyage to the new park - I'd be happy to host - just be prepared to sit in the cheap seats as the good ones are going to PSL holders of which I probably won't be one.

you know, i've heard and assumed both before. At one time I believe there was no intended affliliation with the frosty brew sometimes known as Busch Heavy. But now the logo definatly has the Busch Beer logo in it, as I'd imagine the new one as well.

I don't think Turner Field uses the Turner Broadcasting logo, I could however be completely wrong.

peace,

pc

Chris, originally the stadium was named after Busch the family, or maybe just the one person, I'm not sure. However, when I say originally, I mean when they changed the name of old Sportsman's Park.

What I've heard is that they were either not allowed to have corporate names, or maybe just not names connected to alcohol, so it had to be after the family if anything. I'm not sure whether they did it as a loophole to name it after the company, or whether they really wanted it named after the family.

Anyway, since that was old Sportsman's Park, I don't know if when they built the new park they made it a company name or still just a family name. It's also possible that at some point during the current Busch's existance, they changed it from family to company. As pcgd said, the logo does feature the Busch from Busch Beer.

I read on a Cards board this morning that "there's a good chance the official name will be the August Anheuser Busch Jr. (Gussie Busch) Stadium, with the name commonly used being simply Busch Stadium."

Now, the poster who posted that is a good knowledgable poster, but I don't think he has any inside info, so that could be his own idea, or he may have heard it from somebody else as a possibility. If that's the case, the name of the Stadium would technically not be corporate even now.

What about Wrigley then?

I was talking to my Grandma about the naming right's last nite, and I asked the same question.

She said that she thinks that was named after the person, and he just happens to have the company. I can believe that since their isn't any real signage of Wrigley the company on the stadium as far as I know. At least not on the exterior I don't think.

Wrigley was and has always been named for the owner at the time, Mr. Wrigley. (first name escapes me) The same as the Wrigley Field that was in L.A. (same owner?) Orginally it was called Cubs Park. The stadium has gone through many name changes in the early years. North Side Ball Park, Weegham Park, Cubs' Park, and Whales Park. (I did a report on landmarks of chicago for a easy going history class...Sweet Home Chicago I got an A!)

The corporate naming is a recent thing (last 10-20 years?). I wonder what the first was in any sport.

When The Worlds Largest Brewery bought the Cards and Sportsman's Park in the 50's, they wanted to rename the stadium Budweiser Park, however MLB did not want the name of a beer company gracing the name of one of its stadiums (it was ok to plaster the outfield walls and backdrops with ads for booze and smokes, but not the stadium name!), so they used a loophole and named the stadium after the Busch family (which just so happened to be the name of their "working class" brew). However, by the time the team was sold in the late 90's there was no such prohibition (pun intended) and so part of the purchase deal was a discount of the stadium sale in exchange for the agreement to keep the name Busch Stadium and to allow the stadium logo to incorporate the Busch Beer wordmark.

Here's some info from a different poster on that same Cards Board.

"Well, when Sportsman's Park was bought by Gussie - a year *after* he bought the Cards, BTW (Veeck and the Browns still owned the stadium for another year before old Bill was finally forced to sell) - Gussie originally wanted to rename the park "Budweiser Stadium".

MLB told him he couldn't do it, because it would be crass to have a ballpark named after a consumer product. MLB actually used Wrigley Field as an example of how *not* to do it, noting that at least Mr. Wrigley didn't name his field "Juicy Fruit Park".

So - Gussie went with Busch Stadium, then promptly formulated and released Busch Bavarian Beer, so it would still plug *something*.

The new stadium, opened in May 1966, was officially named "Busch Memorial Stadium" - although I don't know who they were memoralizing, since Gussie lived another 23 years. Maybe it was, as someone suggested above, a memorial to Gussie's father or grandfather."

How about "Jack Buck Field at Busch Stadium"?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

A nice sentiment. My guess is that one of the many outdoor plazas and pavilions that is planned as part of the ballpark grounds will be named in his honor. There is presently a statue of him outside the southwest street level entrance and I would imagine it will be featured in a prominent place on the grounds of the new stadium.

And did you read at the end of the story where all the stadium construction workers got a FREE SIX PACK OF BUD BREWED THAT DAY? Talk about your salary bonus!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Well, I don't know whether this still happens, but it used to be that every A-B employee received a free case of Bud every month as part of their compensation. It was automatic unless you declined it.

Archived