Sublimated Nike College Football Replica Jersey

Mingjai

I'm not sure if this deserves its own topic, but here goes.

I just received my Nike replica BYU royal blue jersey--it's the first year Nike has made them available--and surprisingly, except for the collar patch and jock tags, the entire jersey including the numbers and sleeve stripes is sublimated. This jersey also has a more traditional cut, with a horizontal shoulder yoke seam from shoulder to shoulder as opposed to the seam running diagonally up to the collar. Is this something new Nike is doing across the board for college football or is it only for shorter-run throwbacks or alternate jerseys? The more recent Nike college jerseys I've purchased were like the NFL replicas and had the thick silicone-like numbers and sleeve stripes.

The good news is that the back numbers on this jersey aren't ridiculously small like my other recent Nike replicas.

Throwback royal jersey with sublimated numbers: http://www.byustore.com/ePOS?form=shared3/gm/merch.html&item_number=69686918280&cat=25&store=439&design=439

Standard navy jersey, which has the silicone printing: http://www.byustore.com/ePOS?form=shared3/gm/merch.html&item_number=69686994463&cat=25&store=439&design=439

jersey1.jpg

jersey2.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Yep. Cheaper price point than traditional replicas. First seen on some college jerseys and Color Rush.

I know both Ohio State and Virginia Tech have used it before. It seems to be done for small run jerseys, like one off alternates.

I picked one up for the Falcons Color Rush. It's not bad for $20 cheaper than a normal replica but I'd have liked to have seen it around the $50-60 price point. It's literally just a sublimated garment. Nothing fancy. And it does tend to snag a bit.

OHIO_LAYDOWN_BUILD_V2_native_1600.jpg?14

A strange move by Nike considering that a lower-quality sublimated product gives counterfeiters the chance to make an even closer alternative than they already do... maybe they hope that offering a lower-priced jersey up front keeps people from seeking knockoffs in the first place, but $80 for a glorified Dri Fit t-shirt is still cartoonish in my book.

Are you sure that's sublimation?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived