2018 National Women's Soccer League

Gothamite

The NWSL will have a new team next year, as FC Kansas City has officially moved to Utah and been re-named Utah Royals FC.

DP9lYuFV4AAgAlz.jpg:large

Gotta be a shame when the NWSL team has such a better name and badge than its MLS brother.  I especially like the inclusion of the Delicate Arch, which really shouldn't work as well as it does.

1200px-Delicate_arch_sunset.jpg

Love the design. I will say though that three consecutive new NWSL teams using the big cat motif is a little much. Also "Utah Royals" sounds like an unlicensed video-game ripoff version of Real Salt Lake, which is disappointing after the clever tie-ins of previous MLS sibling teams. But these are nitpicks.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I see what you're saying about the big cats, but each of them have some precedent.  RSL and Orlando use a lion as the mascot for their MLS clubs, and North Carolina is making a play off an older club's image.

North_Carolina_Courage.PNG          Cour.png

Of course, even a good badge can stand to be improved.

That's some good banter.

Heck, even the RSL season ticket holders have better logos than the club itself.

PrideLogo.png                                     STH_Logos.png

40 minutes ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

The badge is nice, but I can't be the only one really irritated by the name being "Royal Monarchs."

Nope, not at all.  That's why "Utah" is such a positive step for the NWSL side.

Archived