NAFA Project | MIA, CHI, SA, DET updates added 1/19

PERRIN

I absolutely love the hockey sweaters you came up with for these identities! 

The Minnesota sweaters are especially phenomenal! 

Only a couple of tweaks on those, and I guess I don’t know how much you know about traditional hockey aesthetics, but white jerseys typically have white socks to match. And socks usually have stripes to not look like practice socks. Teams also generally wear the same colored breeders for the home and road, and typically don’t wear a white/light color. 

And the captains patches usually go on the opposite side of the chest, so the left side haha. 

But all of your identities are just so, so good, and I’d love to see a full hockey league from you!

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, raysox said:

A few really good brands here, but absolutely love the sleeve designs on St. Louis

Appreciate it! Means a lot coming from you haha, everything you've made continues to inspire me, glad some of my work holds up to a professional standard.

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I absolutely love the hockey sweaters you came up with for these identities! 

The Minnesota sweaters are especially phenomenal! 

Only a couple of tweaks on those, and I guess I don’t know how much you know about traditional hockey aesthetics, but white jerseys typically have white socks to match. And socks usually have stripes to not look like practice socks. Teams also generally wear the same colored breeders for the home and road, and typically don’t wear a white/light color. 

And the captains patches usually go on the opposite side of the chest, so the left side haha. 

But all of your identities are just so, so good, and I’d love to see a full hockey league from you!

I know just enough to realize I was breaking some rules as I went along, especially in regards to pant colors. I mainly wanted uniforms to still feel like the football uniforms in terms of color balance, even if it went against tradition. Had no clue about captain's patches though haha, I just went with what felt better with the available space. I don't plan on doing another fully original league anytime soon, but I'm considering doing some NHL redesigns, could be a lot of fun.

2 hours ago, LaGrandeOrange said:

Man, I love everything going on here. Please release that hockey template, it's a beauty!

I prefer the anchor logo and it's stylised enough that I think it's separate from Toronto.

I would if only I knew how, but trust me getting into all the layers it's far less polished than it looks haha. Plus, I made it in Affinity so I don't really know how it'd fair with other software. I'll look into it some point in the future, don't really have the time or knowhow to figure it out right now. 

Definitely leaning toward the anchor for San Diego, I'll keep fiddling around with it. Still needs something more, I think. Might try bringing back the laurel wreath from a previous version.

Appreciate the feedback from you all!

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

• 1 month later...

Recently I've been working on a new SpeedFlex helmet template since my previous helmet template wasn't as detailed or realistic as I'd like. I tried it out with all 36 of the teams, and thought it'd be fun to share a lil graphic of all the team helmets, just to have them all in a single image.

CHS34hs.jpg

I don't have any major updates yet, though I'll have some new NAFA-related presentations shared on my Bēhance in the next few weeks, one revisiting my old Atlantic Division compilation and another for the updated league branding. I’ve got some ideas for a few team updates, namely Miami, Charlotte, and an updated logo for LA, but those are still a ways away from being complete.

Until next time! Hope this little graphic satiates y’all for now haha

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to NAFA Project | New Helmet Template Graphic added 12/9
  • 1 month later...

It’s already been a few months since the last substantial post, so here’s another batch of small updates.

Miami Tropics

Miami gets an updated logo, their first update in years. The concept remains the same as the previous version, but now features cleaned-up lifework, reduces empty space, and fits into the circular shape better. I’m in the process of updating the wordmarks and uniforms as well, but I’ve hit a bit of a rut. Hoping to get them finished sometime soon.

ac9ldJ6.png

Chicago Stars

Chicago has undergone a bevy of small changes over the last few years, but I somehow managed to not post any of them. The badge logo has been cleaned up with better spacing, bolder coloring, and a more unique C mark. An additional badge, designed for use on the helmets, makes its debut, along with secondary logos: a standalone C/star mark and a badge featuring Chicago’s Municipal Device. The uniforms are mostly the same, with the twisty inline of the C logo appearing on the numbers and the secondary logo on the sleeves.

anYzGXk.png

BdLuyYG.png

San Antonio Longhorns

I just updated their uniforms in November, but since then I decided to abandon the Wranglers moniker and roll with Longhorns, partially due to the similarity in pronunciation between Wranglers and the division rival Rangers. I recycled the wordmark and number font from a LongHorn Steakhouse redesign I made a few years ago, like I did with the logo. Might as well reuse my own work if it fits haha. I included a closeup of the jersey in case the details are hard to make out.

M8NI80T.png

Spoiler

p1tBZnh.png

Detroit Mechanics

Detroit receives a fresh coat of paint for everything except the logo. The shades of cherry and chrome have been made bolder, the uniform striping is updated to reflect the racing stripes found on the hoods of sports cars like the Ford Mustang, and the wordmark is updated to have more of a retro automotive vibe. Jersey numbers are updated as well; varsity block numerals just didn’t fit anymore. A jersey closeup is included here as well.

9tuEmgk.png

Spoiler

UIxqh3f.png

Lastly, I wanted to plug a recent project I posted on my Bēhance, a massive in-depth presentation of the Atlantic Division teams and how their brands have evolved since December 2021. I put way too much effort into a lot of team history, I don’t really care how realistic it is exactly, but it’s still fun to add details like this in order to make the league feel more alive. Would greatly appreciate if y’all took a look!

https://www.behance.net/gallery/186935565/Atlantic-Division-Revisted

That’s all I have for now. Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to NAFA Project | MIA, CHI, SA, DET updates added 1/19

A bit late, but solid updates across the board. Really like that wordmark for Detroit. The number font for San Antionio is also really good. Like the Behance presentation. Really goes to show just how much you have improved as a graphic designer. 

Great to see you again! It's been a while since I commented so let me catch up.

SD: I love the metallic gold. Between the two logos I think I prefer the version without the anchor, I really like the monogram and as you mentioned the Lakers also use an anchor in their logo. The laurels on the collar is such a fun touch.

Hockey: Those Arizona jerseys are fantastic. A burst of color and the pattern translates expertly to the sleeves and hem. The others look amazing as well, that NY cream alt is something else entirely. The only change I'd make is that almost 100% of the time in hockey, the sock color should match the jersey color. The cream pants with Minnesota's green set is also something I personally would avoid. Other than that these are great, I'd love to see your takes on more hockey stuff!

Scorebug: Looks great! I like both the linear and condensed versions.

MIA: Excellent rendering of the palm tree. I've always had trouble with those things and you've pulled it off expertly.

CHI: I like the new look! It's a really classy set. Love the new municipal device mark as well. I think there's a bit of a discrepancy between the shades of navy being used between logos - I prefer the slightly less saturated shade in the municipal mark personally. The uniforms are stellar.

SA: I loved the Longhorn Steakhouse redesign you made so I'm happy to see it being reused here! The jerseys still look great, no notes here!

DET: Oh, I love that script. As a selfish request I'd love to see a Detroit version of it make its way to a helmet. The number font is amazing as well. Nice job!

Atlantic Division: I remember reading that basically as soon as it came out on Behance! I love the in-depth look at each team and I'm excited to see the rest of the NAFA in that form.

Keep it up, your work has been top-notch and it's been so much fun seeing you evolve as a designer over the course of this project!

• Love 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

Hopefully the Texas Longhorns don't sue or any... Oh right. 

Jokes aside, they all look fantastic. Love the Behance as well, hopefully we see more of it soon!

xFUdNmt.png

On 1/23/2024 at 2:22 PM, sky1324 said:

I think there's a bit of a discrepancy between the shades of navy being used between logos - I prefer the slightly less saturated shade in the municipal mark personally. 

I'm not sure what's going on there, it's the same shade across the whole logo package on both the .png file and the Affinity file. Could be a monitor issue or optical illusion on your end. 

On 1/23/2024 at 2:22 PM, sky1324 said:

As a selfish request I'd love to see a Detroit version of it make its way to a helmet.

I'l absolutely consider it for a fauxback alternate, would be a fun addition. Glad you like the style! I've wanted to do something similar for a long time, this was the first version that actually came out well.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:59 AM, LaGrandeOrange said:

You have a lot of really cool custom (I assume) typefaces for your wordmarks- the Warriors  and Towers especially. Do you create whole typefaces or just do the characters for the wordmark?

I only make what I need, saves quite a bit of time. I often do full number sets whenever I'm making custom numbers, though. The Towers wordmark isn't custom, it's Crafter, a display typeface, but yes, many of my wordmarks are fully custom. It's always been fun to explore making my own type, often it's easier to make one than to scroll through hundreds of existing font options.

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

• 3 months later...

I wanted to say that these are some wonderful concepts.

Honestly I had never seen this thread before 3 hours ago, and I have to say that it is remarkable how I took two concepts of yours. I picked up Toronto Lakers, because a rule in my concept was the stealing of names in all major leagues, so I stole the LA Lakers and put them in Toronto. What is most striking is how we came up with Quebec Lumieres, because I was putting words into Google translate, until lights came out sounding pretty out of a list of over 20 French names.

Good stuff.