NAFA Project | MIA, CHI, SA, DET updates added 1/19

PERRIN

On 11/18/2021 at 11:43 AM, texashockeyfan said:

Colorado Rangers? How about Colorado Chill. You know all that snow they get around the wintertime.

On 11/27/2021 at 3:16 PM, southernbaseballteams2019 said:

or maybe Colorado Blizzard

Colorado will be called the Rangers. Not changing my mind on this, especially when one suggestion sounds like an XFL team and the other is already used for another team. Rangers is the only name idea I like in the slightest that sounds professional. 

Anyways, here's a quick couple of updates, both to Atlantic teams.

BOSTON MARINERS

The Mariners get a tweaked logo with a slightly darkened shade of teal, as well as redesigned uniforms. The previous set wasn't working for me, so I went for something a bit more nautical and modern. The nautical flags spelling out BOSTON stay, with thin stripes akin to the LA Clippers' shorts adding extra detail to the pants and shoulder yoke.

pROJ5Bd.png

PqT6mxD.png

NEW YORK TOWERS

New York gets a new logo package, slightly darker color scheme, and redesigned uniforms. The new logo package tries to feel a bit more gothic and classic. The previous logo idea is reworked to fit in a shield taken from the New York state seal, and a blackletter NY monogram serves as a secondary logo. The uniforms now go for a classic feel, inspired by the Chicago Bears' 1936 throwbacks and the University of Michigan's uniforms. I thought a more vintage look would fit well with the more classic aesthetic and New York's vibe as a historically rich city. 

nvrc2wg.png

q70aoeT.png

That's all for now. I'm pretty happy with the entire Atlantic division right now, so expect a project over on my Bēhance featuring identity packages for the full division sometime soon. As for the rest of the league, I've got plenty of ideas for updates that I'm pretty happy with so far, so expect more updates once winter break rolls around. 

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 13

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

• PERRIN changed the title to NAFA Project | BOS, NY updated 11/28
  • 3 weeks later...

To give myself a quick break from finals season, here's a quick team update.

Las Vegas Gamblers

Las Vegas gets a completely redesigned identity. I really liked the previous update, it felt too complex and the color balance failed .to do the color scheme justice. The new identity keeps the glitzy style and card suite imagery while emphasizing the iconic Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign. The uniforms shift the color balance to focus on black and red while keeping the teal and white from sticking out too much. Card suite emblems are sublimated into the helmet and pants stripes, but are the focus of the jersey striping.

joVhcrk.png

yVU0dFj.png

That's all for now. I'd love to hear more feedback on Vegas and the New York and Boston updates. I'm still pouring my heart into this series, even if it isn't getting too much attention. With winter break right around the corner, I imagine I'll be able to squeeze in an update or too before school gets too hectic again. Until then, I hope you enjoy this update.

• Like 8

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to NAFA Project | LV Updated 12/16

Glad to see you're still working on this! I haven't commented on the last couple updates because they've been at bad times for me but I've got some time now so here goes.

BOS: I'm not really feeling the striping on this one. I think a Boston team could use some more traditional striping and this weird phantom/thin yoke doesn't feel right. I get what you're going for with the lights from the lighthouse but it's not working for me here. Love the colors and logo, the nautical flags are such a nice touch.

NY: I think it is a damn shame to not use that excellent NY logo on the helmets. Funnily enough, I made a very similar logo around the same time (although I'll admit you did it better) but it's a great way to do a unique NY interlock. I could go either way on the tower logo itself, and I think the blue jersey could use some more white. The large white numbers stand out in a bad way here. I love the throwback striping here, it works wonders.

LV: Big time upgrades here. I liked your old Vegas set but this one is much better. I'm not sure why sometimes the card suits are sublimated and other times they're just white, I think having them be white always will help with color balance, especially on the pants. I also think this set might benefit from a black helmet instead of a red one, it really feels like black is the dominant color here with red as a secondary. The logo is great, this is one of my favorite sets of yours.

Great work as always, I'm always looking forward to the next set and I hope you keep working on this.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

11 hours ago, QCS said:

[Classic QCS helpful C&C]

All good points. I'll look at updating the sleeve striping for Vegas for better consistency and try adding more white to New York. I tried black helmets for Vegas, but it just doesn't work as good for me. Really throws off the color balance and makes the set seem less cohesive. I'm fine with red playing a major role alongside black, since the two colors are so synonymous with cards and gambling. For Boston, I like the more modern style for the Mariners, especially since 4 out of the other 5 teams in the division are more simple or traditional. The yoke isn't supposed to emulate anything specifically, (though I noticed after the fact that it somewhat resembles an iconic bridge in Boston) so I don't mind trying a different way to use the thin lines. I won't be able to implement any of your suggestions for a while since finals and Christmas plans are rearing their heads, but I'll definitely keep them in mind. 👍

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

• 4 weeks later...

I turned 18 today! To celebrate, here's a batch of updates I've cooked up recently.

Colorado Rangers

The Rangers now have a completely revamped identity, with a sharp, mountain-esque badge accompanying a blocky and sharp number font. Uniform striping uses the same sharp angles found in the font. I'm not completely sold on the logo quite yet, as I feel like I could add a bit detail, but it's definitely a solid look and a step in the right direction.

KDyXufJ.png

oOWqGIG.png

New Orleans Corsairs

New Orleans gets a full overhaul, with the new identity now focusing on a more decorative and ornamental look. The uniforms use decorative filigree patterns in the uniform striping, and a Mardi Gras bead pattern is found in the logo and jersey collar. I could probably add a bit more decoration to the arches on the logo, but I'm not certain that'd be necessary.

lKuJ9of.png

K5s2VFv.png

Los Angeles Suns

The Suns get an updated version of their logo, font, and uniforms, with a stronger LA monogram taking center stage. The uniforms now have a modified sunrise striping pattern, and the helmets revert back to white. The logo and striping just don't work as well on a teal background. LA is another team that I'm not completely sold on yet, as I feel the primary logo could probably be simplified a bit more and the font may not quite match the uniforms, but it's a good direction for the team so far.

lxvNxzx.png

gFFtZLR.png

Winnipeg Blizzards

Winnipeg gets the most straightforward change, with a tweaked snowflake logo, blue pants, a new font, a slightly brighter shade of blue, and tweaked pants/helmet striping.

SzXYxIm.png

7VF0Smh.png

That's all I have for now. Looking forward to finally wrapping up this series. I'm down to about 9 teams that need updates, and almost all of the other teams I think are finished. Ideally, I'd hope to get the series wrapped up before I attend school next fall, but I don't know if I'll make that deadline. Regardless, I've had a blast with this series, and the feedback I've received has been integral to me growing my skills as a designer. 

• Like 9

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to NAFA Project | COL, NO, LA, WPG Updated 1/14

Happy birthday! Glad to see you back, I love your work.

COL: Liking the new update here, can't remember when you changed the name from Mountaineers to Rangers but I like it. The purple and silver is a really nice combo. I'm liking the little spikes, it's a nice unifying feature across the board.

NO: I love the patterns here, the bead collar and wrought iron striping is great. I'm not really feeling the gold directly on the teal though, it doesn't show up super well. I wonder how a purple helmet would look as well, I think it might distribute the colors better.

LA: I love the gradient work here. I'm a sucker for block gradients done well and it's pulled off to perfection here. Not sure it needs a teal helmet in this case but if you really wanted to then you could just have the LA on the helmet and make the shell teal.

WPG: Very classy here, love the font and how blocky everything is. Feels like a modern Colts team. I'm a fan.

Great work!

the user formerly known as cdclt

Happy belated birthday! Your birthday is my half birthday 😉. Love all the updates, this has been a really fun series. Only thing I noticed, on NOLA's helmet, you have a pickaxe interlocking behind the shield, probably from your Rangers design above. It looks great tho man, I dig the helmet stripe for LA and that intricate pattern for the Corsairs. 

3 hours ago, jaytavo305 said:

Happy belated birthday! Your birthday is my half birthday 😉. Love all the updates, this has been a really fun series. Only thing I noticed, on NOLA's helmet, you have a pickaxe interlocking behind the shield, probably from your Rangers design above. It looks great tho man, I dig the helmet stripe for LA and that intricate pattern for the Corsairs. 

That’s one of the vents on the helmet template, not part of the logo haha. Thanks for the feedback and happy half-birthday.

lBzmcSM.png

21 hours ago, PERRIN said:

That’s one of the vents on the helmet template, not part of the logo haha. Thanks for the feedback and happy half-birthday.

Hahah, it started right where the sword ends, especially when it's right next to the Colorado design you can see how I got that confused 🤣

• 1 month later...

It's been a busy start to the semester, but now that I've found my rhythm balancing homework with life, it's time for some updates.

Ottawa Gray Jays

The Gray Jays get a redesigned logo at long last. The previous one felt way to flat and didn't evoke motion or feel like the bird it was supposed to emulate. It's been redesigned with much more dynamic shapes, better detailing, and it better conveys the cuteness of the Gray Jay whilst still feeling fierce. The helmets now use the updated wings from the new logo, but the rest of the uniforms remain intact.

QT6LGic.png

IHzqYUA.png

San Diego Admirals

The Admirals get a tweaked logo badge. The laurel wreath is gone to help declutter the logo. The colors are darkened a bit, but still convey the sunny San Diego weather. Uniforms and font are updated as well.

cxxxuYd.png

ZKUuMkZ.png

Minnesota Evergeens

As part of the full division presentations over on my Bēhance, I'm going back and adding alternate logos to a bunch teams. The Evergreens get a full badge with the Minnesota state motto and some buzzsaw imagery, plus some tertiary marks to compliment the primary tree M logo.

SPckExF.png

(EDIT: UPDATED WITH CORRECT ABBREVIATIONS, THANKS @chcarlson23 FOR THE TIP)

Jacksonville Cyclones

The Cyclones get a tweaked color scheme and redesigned uniforms. The royal blue is now much softer but still stormy and the silver is reduced to thin stripe detailing. The wordmark has been arched to compliment the rounded numbers, which have shifted from double outlines to drop shadows.

vrlIyHF.png

That's all for now. I'm currently working on a full presentation for the Great North Division, so expect that to appear over on my Bēhance in the near future. (a follow while you're there would be much appreciated!) Outside of that, I'm still working my way to updating every team to the point where I'm perfectly happy with them. I've still got about 8 or so teams to go, but I'm hoping I'll be able to finish by the end of the summer. Until then, expect updates every 2-6 weeks or so. Until next time!

• Like 7

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to NAFA Project | OTT, SD, MIN, JAX Updated 2/21

Are you trying to abbreviate Minneapolis or the Twin Cities with MNLPS? Because the proper abbreviation for Minneapolis would MPLS, or the airport code for the Twin Cities is MSP.   

I would change to one of those on the secondary logos. They look fantastic otherwise! 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Hey @PERRIN great updates. Definitely like the color palettes and identities of some, if not most, of the teams.

Q: Is the uniform template you're using yours or is something that you get somewhere? Been tryimg to find one myself that is good and usable.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

56 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Are you trying to abbreviate Minneapolis or the Twin Cities with MNLPS? Because the proper abbreviation for Minneapolis would MPLS, or the airport code for the Twin Cities is MSP.   

I would change to one of those on the secondary logos. They look fantastic otherwise! 

Thanks for the tip. I've seen MPLS before, completely slipped my mind. I should've double-checked before using an unofficial abbreviation. I'll update that.

5 minutes ago, Telemundo219 said:

Is the uniform template you're using yours or is something that you get somewhere? Been tryimg to find one myself that is good and usable.

It's custom-made, with some downloadable templates used as a reference. I haven't looked into making it downloadable so I'm not entirely sure if it would work on other drawing apps, but I could try it in the future. If I end up sharing it as a PSD or SVG template, I'll be sure to let you know.

lBzmcSM.png

5 hours ago, PERRIN said:

Thanks for the tip. I've seen MPLS before, completely slipped my mind. I should've double-checked before using an unofficial abbreviation. I'll update that.

It's custom-made, with some downloadable templates used as a reference. I haven't looked into making it downloadable so I'm not entirely sure if it would work on other drawing apps, but I could try it in the future. If I end up sharing it as a PSD or SVG template, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanla for that info and responding. Great job overall (on the template and the uniforms)

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

• 1 month later...

Ahoy gamers, I've got a few quick updates for y'all to give myself a small break from school.First up, St. Louis.

St. Louis Archers

I've long tried to give St. Louis a serviceable update, but I kept struggling with the Roman Gladiator theme and I wasn't super happy with any of my attempts, so I decided to try something completely different. The new name, obviously, is a play on the St. Louis arch. While the titular arch isn't present in the primary logo, it appears in the secondary logos and is the inspiration of the arching shoulder stripes. Said stripes are also a nod to the 2000s Rams uniforms. I'm super proud of how the STL monogram turned out, and while I tried to squeeze it into a badge, I thought it was iconic enough to stand alone as a primary logo. The flowy pants stripe is supposed to emulate the curves of the monogram. I'm not super attached to these uniforms, and they may not quite be there, but they're a suitable look for the time being. The logo, however, is here to stay. I impressed myself with this one.

DycDSQT.png

9ql9FVT.png 

Québec Lumiéres

Québec gets a refreshed logo and uniforms. The new look consists of a more detailed fleur-de-lis in a shield borrowed from Québec's seal, with a border design taken from the city flag. The new aurora pattern is now limited to just 4 colors, but is now more accurate to the shimmery ribbons of the Northern Lights. The uniforms are toned town a bit, but the striping retains the shimmery nature of the logo pattern. 

LCCFOUr.png 

B6m2b79.png

Dallas Outlaws

Dallas gets a refreshed uniform and color scheme. The shade of royal blue is lightened a tad to more closely resemble the shade used by the Cowboys in the 80's, and the striping becomes more varied whilst still retaining a classic feel.

ciYd8pC.png

That's all I have for now, I'm still slowly working away at perfecting all the teams. I've still got about 7 or 8 to go, some of which I'm pretty stuck on, but I'm still aiming to finish all the teams and the series as a whole by next fall. Whether that happens on time or not, I'm excited to finally wrap up all the teams and see what this league looks like as a unit.

• Like 10

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to NAFA Project | STL, QBC, DAL Updated 3/23

I love St. Louis. Color scheme, shoulder patterning, and the monogram are all highlights. I would also add that I wish I could see your St. Louis concept as a baseball team. That monogram is great and works both in the football and baseball contexts.

The Quebec logo would also look great on a navy shirt. Well done!

• Like 2