Jersey Ads to MLB Speculation

buzzcut

I predict that digital subchannels will eventually supplant cable television. And it wouldn't surpise me if a lot of cable channels eventually moved to subchannels.

One of the Sinclair stations in Milwaukee has been experimenting with broadcasting Admirals and Timber Rattlers games. Rumor is they're going to try to get the local relegating rights to a bunch of pro teams and start their own OTA sports network based on that.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/17/2019 at 1:09 PM, NicDB said:

I predict that digital subchannels will eventually supplant cable television. And it wouldn't surpise me if a lot of cable channels eventually moved to subchannels.

Not enough bandwidth. A la carte will come to cable before abandoning the infrastructure altogether.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/17/2019 at 1:32 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Nope. Fees from national contracts outweigh fees from RSNs.

Is this documented anywhere?  For NBA I'd believe it, but for MLB and NHL there's always talk about how important it is to own your RSN or sign a huge deal with it.  Hell - when the Phillies signed their >1B deal with Comcast, it was supposed to be game changing.  Why would that be if they were getting such revenues from national deals?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is this documented anywhere?  For NBA I'd believe it, but for MLB and NHL there's always talk about how important it is to own your RSN or sign a huge deal with it.  Hell - when the Phillies signed their >1B deal with Comcast, it was supposed to be game changing.  Why would that be if they were getting such revenues from national deals?

Not that I am aware of. In my opinion the fees brought in as a whole are bigger from national contracts than from local RSNs. It wouldn't surprise me if you are correct that big market teams earn more locally, though.

It's where I sit.

I give it five years. 

The creep is real

New era flags on side of caps happened in 2016 post season. Minor league baseball has had it on the side since at least the 2000 season. MLB held out longer than I expected. 

Now Nike is coming in with their swoosh on the chest of their new jerseys. That's two logos they weren't around 3 years ago. 

I'm not familiar with who makes batting helmets for the league. Is it more than one company? I can see within the next five years, one company being the sponsor for batting helmets. I don't know if the league is ready for team specific sponsorships. 

If it's Rawlings doing the helmets still, I can see them getting first dibs on a logo on the helmets   

34 minutes ago, MattMill said:

I give it five years. 

The creep is real

New era flags on side of caps happened in 2016 post season. Minor league baseball has had it on the side since at least the 2000 season. MLB held out longer than I expected. 

Now Nike is coming in with their swoosh on the chest of their new jerseys. That's two logos they weren't around 3 years ago. 

I'm not familiar with who makes batting helmets for the league. Is it more than one company? I can see within the next five years, one company being the sponsor for batting helmets. I don't know if the league is ready for team specific sponsorships. 

If it's Rawlings doing the helmets still, I can see them getting first dibs on a logo on the helmets   

I feel like you can't lump the New Era and Nike logos now being on the hats/uniforms together with each team selling ad space to another partner.

In the NFL, you have been able to see the mfr of the Jerseys clearly since at least the late 70's, and I believe you can always see the mfr of the helmets clearly called out, that one I'm not as sure about from memory.

The NHL jerseys have the adidas logo, when each team could hae their own manufacturer, you would see CCM, and other mfrs as well.

To me if they are the manufacturing and supplying the uniforms/hats it only makes sense that their logos would be visible.

Just about any Knit Pullover (what we affectionately call a Polo or Golf Shirt) that you purchase from any retail or online store is going to have the mfr logo (example, the Nike swoosh) proudly displayed.

It's very unusual to not have a brand of sneaker easily identifiable when looking at it based on the mfr's logo being proudly displayed.

I certainly don't have any contracts in place, and have never received a check, from any of these companies to display their logos.

Archived