Jersey Ads to MLB Speculation

buzzcut

Jersey Ads

Given the tone of the article, it seems inevitable.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

Jersey Ads

Given the tone of the article, it seems inevitable.

"VWS&E estimated that the ideal exposure would be afforded by affixing an ad patch to the chest of a baseball jersey"

jfc

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Really thought the mlb would be the last holdout of the big 4. This crap will probably take places of nice arm patches first. I can’t believe the greed from these sports with the amount of cash they make on tickets, parking, concessions, tv deals, ppv deals like on directv, their own networks, commercials, stadium names, wall-court-ice advertising, special moment advertising like a Rolaids pitching change, a specific sports cooler, heck I could keep going...but we better whore out the last thing, the jersey. Can’t wait til they start replacing the little behind the mound logo with a Pepsi ball.

KISSwall09.jpg

Is the problem the leagues that want to make the money, or the people that will continue to pay them money no matter what they do or who they employ?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If the ads were in team colors and at a minimal size like some of the NBA teams have, I could live with that. I just don't want them to be the first thing I look at or think of when viewing a team's uniform.... Although I would assume that's what the corporate company would want anyway.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is the problem the leagues that want to make the money, or the people that will continue to pay them money no matter what they do or who they employ?

^Kinda like when people complain about companies, then still buy their product lol

I think its the latter though, because of the sports worship here in the US, people will complain only to quietly sit back down in the seats to watch *insert team*

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

4 hours ago, Bowski said:

^Kinda like when people complain about companies, then still buy their product lol

I think its the latter though, because of the sports worship here in the US, people will complain only to quietly sit back down in the seats to watch *insert team*

And in both of those situations it's still :censored:ty for the company to do it. Each major sport only has one viable major league, it's essentially a monopoly with stronger brand loyalty than most products could ever dream. Exploiting that by continuing to chip away at these things sucks, even though it feels inevitable. The slow rate at which they introduce this :censored: (until eventually it's a major part of branding in American sports like it is in soccer) means the fans definitely won't do anything.

Doesn't mean it doesn't eat ass.

17 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

And in both of those situations it's still :censored:ty for the company to do it. Each major sport only has one viable major league, it's essentially a monopoly with stronger brand loyalty than most products could ever dream. Exploiting that by continuing to chip away at these things sucks, even though it feels inevitable. The slow rate at which they introduce this :censored: (until eventually it's a major part of branding in American sports like it is in soccer) means the fans definitely won't do anything.

Doesn't mean it doesn't eat ass.

I mean, I don't believe that the monopolies will hold up for more than 20 more years, the league's are struggling....except the NHL & MLS......and that's why they're all doing blatantly greedy things to keep a solid profit margin. Low attendance is has to be really hurting the MLB & NBA as far as the numbers I've seen. 

2 hours ago, Bowski said:

I mean, I don't believe that the monopolies will hold up for more than 20 more years, the league's are struggling....except the NHL & MLS......and that's why they're all doing blatantly greedy things to keep a solid profit margin. 

Yeah, not really. 

I would love to dance on the NFL’s grave.  But no, they’re not really struggling.  

2 hours ago, Bowski said:

I mean, I don't believe that the monopolies will hold up for more than 20 more years, the league's are struggling....except the NHL & MLS......and that's why they're all doing blatantly greedy things to keep a solid profit margin. Low attendance is has to be really hurting the MLB & NBA as far as the numbers I've seen. 

I don't think that word means what you think it means

It's where I sit.

50 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, not really. 

I would love to dance on the NFL’s grave.  But no, they’re not really struggling.  

25 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I don't think that word means what you think it means

Lack of parity and greedy owners is catching up with them

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/15/nfl-nba-nhl-mlb-sports-teams-running-out-of-fans/39667999/

4 hours ago, Bowski said:

I don’t think you realize how short of a span 20 years is. There is no evidence to support your prophecy. Are teams folding? No. The teams safeguarded themselves against attendance with television contracts. That’s why ticket and concession prices haven’t dropped. The teams will make money if you come, but if you decide to stay home they’re fine with that too. 

I think the television contracts are the biggest driver behind uniform ads. Basically every game can be viewed on a screen of some type. That’s access to a lot of potential customers. Leagues know this and are cashing in. Has nothing to do with going to games, but rather watching them. 

Honestly, something I could see in 20 years are teams named after brands. The Pistons were originally the Zollner Pistons after the owner’s company when they were in Fort Wayne. MLS has the New York Red Bulls, but that happens to be a brand that sounds like a sports team. I think it goes sorta unnoticed. Imagine a day where the New York Yankees are playing the Tesla Roadsters. I don’t think it’s that crazy. 

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

I don’t think you realize how short of a span 20 years is. There is no evidence to support your prophecy. Are teams folding? No. The teams safeguarded themselves against attendance with television contracts. That’s why ticket and concession prices haven’t dropped. The teams will make money if you come, but if you decide to stay home they’re fine with that too. 

I think the television contracts are the biggest driver behind uniform ads. Basically every game can be viewed on a screen of some type. That’s access to a lot of potential customers. Leagues know this and are cashing in. Has nothing to do with going to games, but rather watching them. 

Sports on TV might be doing good for now but who knows in 10-20 years if fans will begin to tune out of watching sports on TV too.  If that happens the leagues are in a lot of trouble.  The RSNs that MLB, NBA and NHL depend on would be the hardest hit especially since people are cutting the cord like no other.  

10 minutes ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

Sports on TV might be doing good for now but who knows in 10-20 years if fans will begin to tune out of watching sports on TV too.  If that happens the leagues are in a lot of trouble.  The RSNs that MLB, NBA and NHL depend on would be the hardest hit especially since people are cutting the cord like no other.  

100% agree. I think there is a sports television “bubble” where teams have signed billion dollar deals and are counting on that revenue. I think with cord cutting that could easily collapse. 

8 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

100% agree. I think there is a sports television “bubble” where teams have signed billion dollar deals and are counting on that revenue. I think with cord cutting that could easily collapse. 

I could see a scenario where the RSN's will have to let people buy a streaming service for that particular RSN or they might have to rely more heavily on the streaming services that each league has; for example end blackouts on those streaming platforms for the home team.  For example; someone that lives in Yuma,AZ that has mlb.tv wont get blacked out of seeing Dback games live on the service.  

The Cubs are the team to watch for the Sports Television Bubble: they just pulled out of a deal with Comcast to start a new channel with Sinclair. It won't have any other properties but the Cubs. The predominant cable carrier in Chicagoland is Comcast. This can't possibly go wrong.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived