Preds vs. Penguins tix - Why so expensive?

B-Rich

As we have for about the last 10 years, my daughters and I will be taking our annual Holiday Road Trip in the period between Christmas and New Year's Eve.

For this year's trip, my younger daughter wanted to go to Nashville to see a Predators game and to see the Country Music Hall of Fame, and I insisted on a roundabout way back that would allow a visit to Shiloh National Battlefield. Good three-night trip, no worries.

However, when we started looking for tickets to the December 27th game (against the Penguins) we saw that for some reason, that game (and only that game) is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Minimum ticket price (for one seat) on Stub hub is around $99 with fees in the nosebleeds; for three together minimum in the same area is about $140.  It's been that way for the last two months or so, and is not getting any better. 

Other Nashville home games are much more reasonable-- for the game on the 23rd against the Coyotes, tickets begin around $34, and tomorrow night's game against the Sharks (a bobblehead giveaway) has tickets as low as $23. 

On Cyber Monday via Ticketmaster.com I lined up three for under $100 each (incl. fees) but then got a notice that they were only selling to those in the area, and your credit card had to have a Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi or Kentucky mailing address to be processed. 

Am I missing something here?  Big rivalry game?  Anyone have any insight?

It is what it is.

Friday night game against one of probably the most well known hockey team globally after Christmas. The other games are on Monday and Tuesday nights against the embarrassment of a franchise coyotes and the similarly no name sharks. Also Pittsburg fans are known to travel regardless of the price of tickets.

Pengiuns tickets are a hot commodity anywhere. I know I usually avoid those games when the play the Lightning in Tampa because resale markets are always grossly overpriced comparing against face value, because snowbirds will pay.  

It's the same in Tampa when Montreal and  Toronto are here in January-March.  Snowbird City...

Congratulations on your failed effort to conduct business with the Nashville Predators, the lamest carelords in sports. Try next year after they miss the playoffs and everyone there can stop pretending they invented being enthusiastic at hockey games.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Reasons the tickets are expensive: Pens and Preds played in the Stanley Cup Final a few years ago. In addition, it's a back-to-back home and home regular season games during Christmas break, so tickets will be very pricey.

All that added to the fact that if there are any other shows or events going on down lower Broad that night, that's gonna jack up the price of everything else. 

But if you can't get into the actual game, the two-story tavern directly across 5th Ave from Bridgestone usually carries the games (and houses most of the overflow fans). Not the same thing, I know, but you'll also get the full "hockey-tonk" experience as well. Just be sure to dodge all the drunk-off-their-behinds bachelorette partiers pedaling around on those pedal-taverns along with all the rest of the idiot drunk folk sure to be decorating the sidewalks all up and down through there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Tickets remained ridiculously high on StubHub, SeatGeek, Vivid Seats, Tickpick, etc.  Ticketmaster, however, had some REALLY good deals on non-resale single seats ($44-$49 before fees).  So with her permission I used my stepmom's VISA number (she and my dad live in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, one of the states cleared for Ticketmaster online purchase) and got two seats together for the daughters and a cheap single seat a few rows away for me; total including fees was just over $300. 

Merry Christmas!

It is what it is.

7 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

UPDATE

Tickets remained ridiculously high on StubHub, SeatGeek, Vivid Seats, Tickpick, etc.  Ticketmaster, however, had some REALLY good deals on non-resale single seats ($44-$49 before fees).  So with her permission I used my stepmom's VISA number (she and my dad live in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, one of the states cleared for Ticketmaster online purchase) and got two seats together for the daughters and a cheap single seat a few rows away for me; total including fees was just over $300. 

Merry Christmas!

Totally unrelated, but I used to spend a lot of time down there back in my hooah days (Camp Shelby, I'm sure you've heard of it). Hattiesburg...truly one of this country's great hidden secrets. 

(How's the Turtle Creek Mall these days?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.png

In the third period we were able to all sit together in the lower row.   Place was packed; fans started out rowdy but as the Preds fell behind early they quieted quickly. Really nice arena, too.

It is what it is.

Archived