University of Illinois

andrewharrington

EDIT - if you dont like this one, theres an updated one down there a ways.

all right. this is supposed to be for a contest somewhere around here, but we have not heard from its host, so im posting mine independently for feedback.

i did a little modernization of the 'chief' logo because it is way too cool not to use. i threw an 'I' behind him for a primary and placed him on the helmet, which i removed the centre stripe from and colored the facemask blue, and used him as the 'O' in the 'illinois' wordmark, which is in the traditional italic style of the illinois wdmk. i placed a 'fighting illini' wdmk with it. they can be used jointly or separately.

for the uniform, i changed the number font to one similar to that of the patriots, but left the basic pattern of it intact. (i think tradition is very important to uphold with established football universities.) i did us a technique similar to the old virginia tech uniforms and used opposite color shoulder numbers. i added the third color to the pants stripes, thereby making them wider, and i think thats about it. i need some suggestions, though, as i am not totally confident in its integrity and overall niceness. ^_^

University-of-Illinois.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

just my thoughts.... have orange sleeve cuffs , the "I" inside a circle and keep the colors just lthe same as on the jerseys but with contrasting color trims. on the helmet i would have either a "I" inside a circle or a "illini" custom font because alot of people are bashing teams with native americans as mascots, but i think you have some good ideas there.

sms.gif

Nice concept. A few changes I'd suggest: (i) eliminate the "I" behind the chief's head on the primary logo -- it just doesn't work, IMO; (ii) modify the font on the wordmark so that the lines on the "L"s are parallel w/ the lines on the "I"s; and (iii) maybe use the chief's head in place of the "I" on the white jerseys, tho I don't feel so strongly about that point as two logos on the helmet and a third on the jersey might be overkill.

Excellent work.

i think the rule of thumb on the native american issue is, people may object if the logo and/or name depicts them and their culture in a derogatory manner, i.e. REDskins, REDmen, or even INDIANS. i think tribe names are more suitable, as one of the dakotas' colleges is known as the fighting sioux, and i know illinois has had this chief logo for years. im not completely sure what im going to do here though. ill have it up tonight hopefully with the majority of the changes.

EDIT: forgot the obvious, florida state seminoles. i think names depicting tribes are suitable and non offensive, but thats not my call to make. illinois is a native american tribe, and its members are called illini, but hey, i dont know.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

i think the rule of thumb on the native american issue is, people may object if the logo and/or name depicts them and their culture in a derogatory manner, i.e. REDskins, REDmen, or even INDIANS. i think tribe names are more suitable, as one of the dakotas' colleges is known as the fighting sioux, and i know illinois has had this chief logo for years. im not completely sure what im going to do here though. ill have it up tonight hopefully with the majority of the changes.

Probably being that the U of I was one of the first, if not the first, and one of the most prominent targets of the PC crowd.

The overall concept is alright, but unfortunatley, I think at this point in time, the Chief on the uniforms is unrealistic.

all right. here they are. i actually fancied it up quite a bit. i dropped the chief down to secondary status and placed him on the pants as the hip logo a la florida state. i created a new primary consisting of an I in a circle as you can see. i added silver/grey as an accent and added outlines to the numbers to spice the jerseys up a bit. i cahanged the wordmark fonts, and here we have it. oh! and sleeve cuffs. :P i took a lot more risks with this one, going less traditional and all, but it could work in dreamland maybe.

University-of-Illinois-2.png

the standards for risky are a little different for me than for most, and comparing this to something from me, i'd ask how this was risky. good production buy why is silver there? :blink:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

well, its MORE risky than say, the one at the top, with all the outlines and the addition of silver, which, by the way, was just a little experiment for some spicy flash to go with the illini. the first one is more modest, classic illini, while the second one is its saucy counterpart, is what i meant by that. thnaks for the input so far.

im hopefully going to be redesigning (very carefully) all the big ten schools. illinois seemed to be the most popular choice to do first, so, what do you guys think about who goes next?

EDIT - i took the circle off the helmet because i thought it had too much similarity to the utah helmet, which is also a native american named college FTR :P. i dunno, i just didnt like it.

bump for all of you who voted for illinois in the poll and may have not seen this.

Archived