Dallas Cowboys Uniform Concept

Audiodrama

The real reason they wear white at home goes back to the early days. They wanted the crowd to see the other team's color jerseys, instead of blue vs white every week

Weird, I know. 

It seems as though there's a bit of missing info floating through this thread.  I'll try to fill in the gaps I'm aware of:

For starters, the helmet is not silver - it's "Texas Blue".. find an old photo from the 70's and you can really see the color as it originated.. almost a metallic powder blue.. the finish of paint has improved and changed over the years, and especially the finish of materials and fabrics, so the color has evolved a bit.. but to get a good comparison, find a recent photo of the cowboys vs the raiders, and you can see how much more blue is in the cowboys' helmets.

Next, the real reason the pants are mismatched (at least with the home set) is the appearance on television.  The greener version of the blueish silver pants appeared to match the true blueish silver (Texas Blue) helmets much better on TV.  Also, Navy numbers that matched the star on the helmets appeared black on TV, but royal numbers appeared navy on TV and matched the helmet decals better.. so these changes are implemented in the 80's, because only a small portion of Cowboys fans were actually at the games, but millions of fans watched them on TV, so they tailored their look to suit their larger audience. So, they made the decision to use 2 "silvers" and 2 blues so that it would actually look more like 1 "silver" and 1 blue.. 

As for the "road" (dark) uniform, the only explanation I can think of, is that the navy jersey made the greenish pants appear either way too green or way too blue, so they went with standard silver - likely due to the difficulty securing large custom dye-lots and the potential visual issues already encountered by the greenish pants.. and with regular silver pants and a silver-looking helmet, they used regular light grey numbers/striping on the jersey, to sort of "match" as well as possible, but it actually resulted in more mismatching (Texas Blue helmets, metallic silver pants, silver-grey jersey striping -- 3 different "silvers" on the dark uniform)

So the cowboys have nothing that actually matches their helmets, and with today's HDTVs, it's not just obvious to the fans at the stadium, but to everyone.

If I missed anything or made any errors, please feel free to chime in!

On 5/25/2021 at 1:06 PM, rjrrzube said:

The real reason they wear white at home goes back to the early days. They wanted the crowd to see the other team's color jerseys, instead of blue vs white every week

Weird, I know. 

I recently read that it was to put the road team in a darker uniform in the Texas heat.  Though I don’t recall the source.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 1:04 AM, WavePunter said:

For starters, the helmet is not silver - it's "Texas Blue".. but to get a good comparison, find a recent photo of the cowboys vs the raiders, and you can see how much more blue is in the cowboys' helmets.

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 1:34 PM, Audiodrama said:

The Cowboys will likely never change their logo or wordmark; they are, however, more likely to provide sensible updates to their on-field aesthetic. I decided to make realistic, logical updates to both the white and dark sets, including a before-and-after crude mockup of Dak Prescott in the lighter set.

The royal blue and green/gray have been entirely eliminated. The only colors displayed in the entire set are a dark blue, blue-tinted-gray, and white. All striping is now consistent. All numerals feature a small silver outline. The Cowboys "star" appears once on each set: the helmet. It's purposely not featured anywhere else, to give the helmet logo prominence. Each jersey features "AMERICA'S TEAM" on the inside neck collar.

This new look gives the Cowboys a classic, yet modern look. It's clean, timeless, and built to last.

C&C welcomed!

5Xja3jj.jpg

QpiWrre.jpg

I mean, the Dallas Cowboys look so much better when ditching royal blue w/that God-awful seafoam green in favor of navy blue and silver. In fact, navy blue and silver ARE the official colors of the Dallas Cowboys, per https://operations.nfl.com/learn-the-game/nfl-basics/team-histories/national-football-conference/east/dallas-cowboys/

Archived