Leeds United Crest Concept

MDGP

I've been in a real soccer mood since the Euro started and got bored between games one day and decided to take a stab at putting together a crest for Leeds United, who have potentially my least favorite crest in the premier league.

Looking at their historical crests I decided to try something admittedly a bit experimental with the overall design. The club's nickname is the Peacocks, and briefly sported a peacock crest during the early 1980s. I combined that with the Yorkshire Rose shape that creates the overall crest shape, with the top 4 petals of the rose acting as the peacock's plumage. I decided to keep the crown as a representation of both the peacock's head feathers as well as a reference to the club's three English championships. The ball combines the circle on the early 80s logo with the dark panels on the ball in the current crest. Finally, the bottom features LUFC, used on the current crest, changing the cursive to a simple serif font for legibility reasons.

e1108b41907ab3e4875cbba57e83ce72.png?com

Ultimately, I realize this one's a bit out there and I'm not 100% sure if it works, so I'd love to get your guys' opinions on it.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I like it better than Leeds' current logo for how unique the overall shape it has, but I doubt if the modern generation would even know Leeds' other nickname besides the Lilywhites. I buy that for a pound.

Looks pretty darn nice to me! (Though I know very little about English soccer...) A unique, distinctive shape and the fauxback elements are quite nice.

Really my main question is whether the York rose needs to be white. You might considering recoloring it and having a thick yellow outline or something to make that happen.

On 7/2/2021 at 12:35 PM, vtgco said:

Really my main question is whether the York rose needs to be white. You might considering recoloring it and having a thick yellow outline or something to make that happen.

Yeah, you're very likely right. I tried a couple different ways and it just honestly never looked very good. Ultimately, I think something like this would be more realistic if the team were to actually go in this direction, but I personally don't like it as much.

ubtnuUS.png

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

13 hours ago, MDGP said:

Yeah, you're very likely right. I tried a couple different ways and it just honestly never looked very good. Ultimately, I think something like this would be more realistic if the team were to actually go in this direction, but I personally don't like it as much.

Hmmm, the new one is pleasant; it kinda reads as sunshine more than feathers to me, but it's still nice. I definitely agree that your rose-shaped first crest is better, though...

If you don't like the yellow outline idea, maybe you could have a yellow circle in the center of the flower (in white) that also represents the peacock's feathers (much like the original '80s crest)? You might have to shrink the gaps between the petals a bit, but I imagine it could potentially work...

21 hours ago, MDGP said:

ubtnuUS.png

Is it possible to use the white rose as a background to the peacock feathers? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 7/8/2021 at 2:19 AM, vtgco said:

Hmmm, the new one is pleasant; it kinda reads as sunshine more than feathers to me, but it's still nice. I definitely agree that your rose-shaped first crest is better, though...

If you don't like the yellow outline idea, maybe you could have a yellow circle in the center of the flower (in white) that also represents the peacock's feathers (much like the original '80s crest)? You might have to shrink the gaps between the petals a bit, but I imagine it could potentially work...

On 7/8/2021 at 10:00 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Is it possible to use the white rose as a background to the peacock feathers? 

Thanks for the similar ideas, guys. I tried them and ultimately the problem I found was that the peacock usually became pretty small proportionally and the idea behind the rose itself being the plumage sort of disappeared. However, I did come up with an idea in that process.

Simply put, I changed the flower to white and placed a yellow circle behind the peacock. It's kind of the idea you were both discussing, but it doesn't really act as the plumage itself, but a part of the flower as a whole. After some overall color tweaking I think I got a balance I like, though I'm not sure if an outline looks better or worse.

PVWacVz.png

16 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I prefer no outline around the yellow circle. 

Seconded.

I liked the original version you did @MDGP except for the LUFC. 

Maybe just have 

LEEDS

UNITED

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

On 7/10/2021 at 5:03 AM, Brian in Boston said:

I prefer no outline around the yellow circle. 

The more I look at it, the more I agree. I think at first I worried about it looking too "eggy" without the outline, but honestly I don't think it turned out to be an issue really.

On 7/10/2021 at 9:14 PM, tigers said:

Seconded.

I liked the original version you did @MDGP except for the LUFC. 

Maybe just have 

LEEDS

UNITED

Yeah, I've gone back and forth on the LUFC or Leeds United thing. My main complaint about the full name is that it doesn't really fill up the space as well, and that it doesn't have the same historical significance as LUFC does on the crest.

3zMNADW.png

But hey, maybe my opinion is wrong. Here they are for you guys to take a look at.

23 hours ago, MDGP said:

The more I look at it, the more I agree. I think at first I worried about it looking too "eggy" without the outline, but honestly I don't think it turned out to be an issue really.

Yeah, I've gone back and forth on the LUFC or Leeds United thing. My main complaint about the full name is that it doesn't really fill up the space as well, and that it doesn't have the same historical significance as LUFC does on the crest.

3zMNADW.png

But hey, maybe my opinion is wrong. Here they are for you guys to take a look at.

Think I'd prefer the rose was white, with a yellow outline. Without the yellow in the middle.

Definitely agree with you, LUFC looks a lot better on the logo than the full-on "Leeds United." I think that one with the un-outlined yellow circle is the best take yet! You're right that it doesn't *quite* read as plumage, but I think that's okay...

But if wanted to, you could shorten the gaps separating the petals a tad, so you can enlarge the circle and match the shape of it to the 80s crest (i.e. a section of the bottom of the circle is removed).

Anyways, really good work, and I've love to see how it looks on a jersey!

Archived