2020 Olympics in Tokyo

GDAWG

43 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I think that's ultimately where it's heading. The throwaway culture behind the city assignments is running out of steam. It makes far too much sense to have a regular rotation of cities that don't have to spend a ton or build much, to make the Games happen. The "signature monument" nonsense that drove the games has proven to be the complete opposite of what the IOC wanted. Instead of leaving a legacy of venues that the host countries can use for decades, they're leaving behind largely abandoned venues and structures that quickly decay into ruin and frankly are a painfully visible reminder of what a waste the Olympics have been historically. 

I could see a version of the Commonwealth Games attached to these, where they ask for one new stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies and track and field, that eventually ends up as a baseball or football stadium and a bunch of temporary erector sets for sports not played in that country regularly. That's how Manchester City ended up getting the Etihad Stadium, formerly City of Manchester Stadium. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I could see a version of the Commonwealth Games attached to these, where they ask for one new stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies and track and field, that eventually ends up as a baseball or football stadium and a bunch of temporary erector sets for sports not played in that country regularly. That's how Manchester City ended up getting the Etihad Stadium, formerly City of Manchester Stadium. 

Might be an option. If they were to continue to rotate to whomever wants to bid I can't imagine doing it any other way going forward after the debacles that were Rio and Athens when it came to their venues' legacy. London as I recall kind of did that with Olympic Stadium, and arguably Atlanta (thought the results in that case for some venues like Turner Field were so poor it had to be abandoned less than 20 years later). 

On 8/2/2021 at 8:28 PM, sparky said:

The dislike of this USWNT,  isn't  only because of politics.

I can remember the on-field antics of this squad, during the 2019 Women's World Cup in France, pissing off a lot of people.

The obnoxious over-celebration of EVERY frickin' goal in their 13-0 demolition of Thailand,

certainly won them the 2019 Ugly American Team Award. 

Today's loss looked good on them.

Good on ya' Canada! 👍

Hey, I’ve seen some of your great work on Twitter and was wondering if you’re open for commissions? Let me know, thanks!

Archived