2020 Olympics in Tokyo

GDAWG

3 hours ago, Digby said:

Every time I see a medal count table I get a kick out of the supposed ban on Russia. They just had to wear new uniforms and call the team “ROC”! Hilarious. Why even bother, then?

Yep, same as the livery of Haas F1.

As it is a world championship, their driver is identified as 'RAF' (Russian Automobile Federation) however the car is covered in white, blue and red (in that particular order).

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp/254X99M0/s6/formula-1-haas-f1-team-launch--2.jpg

On 2021-08-06 at 2:37 AM, SFGiants58 said:

I’m just happy we’re at a point where Avatar: The Last Airbender is part of the cultural zeitgeist for good.

That is brilliant!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/5/2021 at 7:37 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I’m just happy we’re at a point where Avatar: The Last Airbender is part of the cultural zeitgeist for good.

I’d rather have a guy with the arrow than another classic Spongebob meme (seasons 1-3 Spongebob is like seasons 1-8 Simpsons for late millennials and Gen-Z).

17 minutes ago, DukeofChutney said:

Yep, same as the livery of Haas F1.

As it is a world championship, their driver is identified as 'RAF' (Russian Automobile Federation) however the car is covered in white, blue and red (in that particular order).

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp/254X99M0/s6/formula-1-haas-f1-team-launch--2.jpg

That is brilliant!

The Mexican synchronized swimming team's uniforms with a more subtle nod:

Mexico's Synchronized Swimming Olympians' Suits Homage Avatar: The Last Airbender

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

20 minutes ago, logo-maker said:

The Mexican synchronized swimming team's uniforms with a more subtle nod:

Mexico's Synchronized Swimming Olympians' Suits Homage Avatar: The Last Airbender

At first I thought that it was a representation of Raava on the front, then Isaw the nations' on the back. I'm surprised the IOC is letting both examples of fandom happen.... but I'm glad they are.

True events have to have rules, but they should also let athletes be themselves.

Australian men win their first medal in basketball, bronze, against Slovenia. Good for them.

Luka's once perfect international record of 17-0 is now a brutal 17-2.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Australian men win their first medal in basketball, bronze, against Slovenia. Good for them.

Luka's once perfect international record of 17-0 is now a brutal 17-2.

Patty Mills played lights out in that game.  Not bad for the newest Brooklyn Net.

Hell of a run for Allyson Felix.  11 medals: 7 gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze.  Many of her teammates from 2004, 2008 and 2012 Olympics have long retired, including Sanya Richards, who has been doing commentary for track and field since she retired in 2016.

I was thinking about this as I am currently watching USA Women's Basketball:

- I would not be at all surprised if several members of the Women's 3x3 Team were on the regular team in 2024.  That team had Alisha Gray, Kelsey Plum, Jackie Young and Stephanie Dolson, all of whom play in the WNBA.    This is likely the last time Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi are going to be on Team USA so there are going to be holes to fill.  

10 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Hell of a run for Allyson Felix.  11 medals: 7 gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze.  Many of her teammates from 2004, 2008 and 2012 Olympics have long retired, including Sanya Richards, who has been doing commentary for track and field since she retired in 2016.

Amazing to be that good for that long.

U!S!A! passed China 39-38, miraculously, so that's great. You really didn't want to see China win in Tokyo, lest they start feelin' themselves too much and suddenly Xi Jinping is declaring Japan "the rogue eastern province" or something. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

42 minutes ago, the admiral said:

U!S!A! passed China 39-38, miraculously, so that's great. You really didn't want to see China win in Tokyo, lest they start feelin' themselves too much and suddenly Xi Jinping is declaring Japan "the rogue eastern province" or something. 

20210807_063324.jpg

53Ocz8U.png

1 hour ago, Unocal said:

The biggest star/stars of these Olympic Games were/was (blank)

As far as people who aren't mainstream (Biles, Durant), I'd say it's easily Caeleb Dressel.  Probably Suni Lee too given the popularity of olympic swimming and gymnastics.  NBC really pushed Allyson Felix too.

I discovered Group Rythmic Gymnastics the other night, which is crazy. Those girls are insanely talented. 

IUe6Hvh.png

A little bit of inconsistency in regards to how USA Basketball chooses the teams.  I noticed that when the announce team said 3 of the 4 US basketball teams won gold.  Hopefully it changes in 2024 in Paris.  It makes no sense to me at all having USA Men's National team be filled with NBA players, the Women's National team has all WNBA players, the women's 3x3 have all WNBA players and the Men's 3X3 team has.......a roster of 4 Americans who played Euro ball.  Why not pick 4 NBA guys from the Team USA pool like the Women's team did?  I hope that changes for Paris.  

13 hours ago, Unocal said:

Blank is pretty appropriate. Biles would have been, but given what happened with her withdrawal, that didn't quite happen. Same with the USWNT failure. And it didn't seem to me that any one star or stars emerged like Phelps in previously years, or Biles in Rio. Probably a symptom of the overall apathy that was in clear evidence about these Olympics in general. 

13 hours ago, Unocal said:

Thomas Boch, for completing the ultimate grift at the expense of the health of an entire nation, and getting one massive payday in before entering the new age of cities having a bit more reluctance towards burning massive piles of cash for a bunch of white elephants.

VmWIn6B.png

23 minutes ago, LMU said:

Thomas Boch, for completing the ultimate grift at the expense of the health of an entire nation, and getting one massive payday in before entering the new age of cities having a bit more reluctance towards burning massive piles of cash for a bunch of white elephants.

How long until they build an island in the middle of the Atlantic to fit each sport offered? Other than the United States and some bigger European cities, who would be able to have most of these buildings already in place? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

31 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

How long until they build an island in the middle of the Atlantic to fit each sport offered? Other than the United States and some bigger European cities, who would be able to have most of these buildings already in place? 

Tokyo now has the venues and could host again, if they want it they should get the 2036 or 2040 Games.

44 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Just have the IOC make a deal with Dana White for Fight Island.

VmWIn6B.png

17 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think thats the era we're headed to.  Looking at the Olympic hosts starting in 2022 we have Beijing, Paris, Milano-Cortina, Los Angeles, and Brisbane.  Most if not all have a pretty solid existing/temporary infrastructure.  Brisbane being recently announced, looks to have at least 2/3 of its venues already existing. 

On 8/10/2021 at 6:09 AM, TBGKon said:

I think thats the era we're headed to.  Looking at the Olympic hosts starting in 2022 we have Beijing, Paris, Milano-Cortina, Los Angeles, and Brisbane.  Most if not all have a pretty solid existing/temporary infrastructure.  Brisbane being recently announced, looks to have at least 2/3 of its venues already existing. 

I think that's ultimately where it's heading. The throwaway culture behind the city assignments is running out of steam. It makes far too much sense to have a regular rotation of cities that don't have to spend a ton or build much, to make the Games happen. The "signature monument" nonsense that drove the games has proven to be the complete opposite of what the IOC wanted. Instead of leaving a legacy of venues that the host countries can use for decades, they're leaving behind largely abandoned venues and structures that quickly decay into ruin and frankly are a painfully visible reminder of what a waste the Olympics have been historically. 

Archived