2020 Olympics in Tokyo

GDAWG

13 minutes ago, Sport said:

Unrelated, I was curious how they were going to hold the surfing competitions in future Olympics that aren't held in places with good surf. Waves off Japan's coast nearest Tokyo are relatively small for a surfing contest, but they're doing their best. Did some googling and Paris' surfing competition is going to be held in Tahiti aka French Polynesia, which is 10,000 miles away from Paris. If that's the case then I definitely think the 2020 games should've had every sport hold their own event in their own preferred location somewhere on the globe instead of forcing this into Tokyo, which doesn't even want them there. 

It’s not unprecedented. 1956 saw the equestrian moved from Melbourne to Stockholm due to quarantine laws and 2008 from Beijing to Hong Kong due to horse disease.

VmWIn6B.png

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that the Americans got the silver with the whole debacle surrounding Biles is a testament to the team itself and how they came back from having their best performer not at her best and pulling herself out of the event for the sake of her team.

She didn't choke.. she wasn't at her best and she would take the rest of the team down with her if she wouldn't have pulled herself out. It takes a courage to admit that you aren't at your best. That's all there is to it.

It sucks that she could have seriously injured herself for life and had to step away. I don't think writing articles called "Withdrawing Makes Her The Real Winner" is very helpful. (In another, more accurate way, Russia is the winner.) We don't have to say that having to forfeit is Actually Good. Let bad things be bad.

4 hours ago, LMU said:

It’s not unprecedented. 1956 saw the equestrian moved from Melbourne to Stockholm due to quarantine laws and 2008 from Beijing to Hong Kong due to horse disease.

China and diseased animals, name a more iconic duo

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

E7TuMvXWUAYhBhB?format=jpg&name=medium

"You did win the gold medal...the gold medal for being a heckin' good personarino." She's the greatest gymnast of all time. This is how you would speak to a five-year-old who missed his soccer game because he crapped his pants. I feel like I need to check myself into a mental hospital!

6 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Not having the mental fortitude to win in the biggest moment with the most eyes on you is the same thing as not having the physical talent to do so. Did I dream the run Biles did do before she threw in the towel? Because it wasn't good. I'm glad she recognized she didn't have what it takes and thus didn't risk injury.

Not being able to handle pressure on the biggest stage is absolutely choking dude lmao, good Lord. Also the furthest thing from choking is winning

Struggling with mental health is not choking. 

Sincerely, 

Someone who routinely battles mental health.

Get your knuckle dragging :censored: takes out of here.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Yeah, you can't call this choking. It's deeply unfortunate on a level that, I don't know, Donovan McNabb sucking in the Super Bowl was not. We should just mourn the moment for what it was without engaging in this patronizing "this makes her the real winner" talk.

These Olympics haven't been very fun to watch so I'm not really surprised that athletes are also having a bad time. Turns out we really do need the energy of wacky fans and horny athletes hooking up in the village. I was cautiously supporting even this half-baked version because I felt like, for every league all-star or celebrity athlete (mostly American) who to the Olympics, there are 400 athletes for whom competing here is everything, a true once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and it would suck to lose that. But at this current time it sucks to have it too, I guess. Anyway, back to trying and failing to decide how to watch things I want to watch that will probably underwhelm anyhow!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

This will be the 5th Olympics for Sprinter Allyson Felix.  She has 6 gold and 3 silvers in the Olympics.   She is 35 now but has outlasted many of the teammates that have competed with her in USA Track and Field in the first three Olympics.  

10 hours ago, Geoff said:

Struggling with mental health is not choking. 

Sincerely, 

Someone who routinely battles mental health.

Get your knuckle dragging :censored: takes out of here.

I watched my brother slowly lose control of his life and ultimately succumb to depression and PTSD. Mental health struggles are not a weakness of any kind, not even for a world-class athlete. 

Yet, here we are in 2021, and people are essentially telling her to "rub some dirt on it". It's disgusting. 

Rugby - Olympics: Day 5 : News Photo

Rugby 7's were decided today and Fiji have won. If there was a sport that was made for TV that didn't get enough coverage it was this.  I never even saw the USA play a single second this year. I'm hoping they fix this for Paris 2024. It probably will help that France has a pretty good reputation in Rugby Union. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, JayMac said:

I watched my brother slowly lose control of his life and ultimately succumb to depression and PTSD. Mental health struggles are not a weakness of any kind, not even for a world-class athlete. 

Yet, here we are in 2021, and people are essentially telling her to "rub some dirt on it". It's disgusting. 

I don't understand the attacks against her. Both in and of themselves, and because her withdrawal likely saved Silver for the US. Guess they'd have rather she pushed through, injured herself and the US have dropped off the podium? 

That said, I'm seeing quite a lot of second guessing on social and media in general now going the other way and questioning of past sports moments where athletes chose the other path and carried on competing with an injury or some kind of mental issue in pursuit of gold/championship/record, etc...  Which frankly isn't fair to those athletes. They're different people, in different circumstances, with different priorities, etc... Just because something was right for Biles and at this point in her life and career, doesn't mean that some other athlete choosing to continue on through pain, mental or physical, wasn't equally the right decision for them. 

Her pulling out of the All-Around finals was part of what is going on for her: She isn't at her best right now and didn't want to jeopardize the team and her teammates by having a subpar (by her standards) showing.

I hope that she is ready to go for the remaining individual events.

BTW, the Americans won gold in 3 on 3 hoops and the Men's team finally got back on track by curb stomping Iran.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

BTW, the Americans won gold in 3 on 3 hoops and the Men's team finally got back on track by curb stomping Iran.

3x3 basketball was so weird to watch. It's like watching people play a pick-up game on a playground. Which I guess is the point? Anyway, congrats to the US women.

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, burgundy said:

3x3 basketball was so weird to watch. It's like watching people play a pick-up game on a playground. Which I guess is the point? Anyway, congrats to the US women.

I was thinking the same thing. Frankly Skateboarding looks like a peak in on really good skateboarders at your local skate park too. It's very odd to me some of the fringe sports they've added lately. I fully expect Cornhole, Dodgeball, and Beer Pong to make an appearance in the next couple of Olympics. 

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Frankly Skateboarding looks like a peak in on really good skateboarders at your local skate park too. It's very odd to me some of the fringe sports they've added lately. I fully expect Cornhole, Dodgeball, and Beer Pong to make an appearance in the next couple of Olympics. 

That's kinda the point of street style and park style, hence the names. Unfortunately vert and big air are not in the Olympics yet, as those are the more spectacle type of events. And I wouldn't call skateboarding a fringe sport. Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. I would call 3x3 a fringe sport though. Probably the most surprising of the new events.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, burgundy said:

I found the tv coverage odd, like I was craning my neck to watch. Felt like a good time to experiment with new angles, instead they just put the normal basketball camera in the normal place, which didn’t work for a half court.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 hours ago, burgundy said:

All four players will go back to playing regular basketball once the Olympics end.  

Archived