2020 Olympics in Tokyo

GDAWG

42 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Twitter is trending Kerri Strug comparisons to Simone Biles and I won't even look.

The less we hear about Bela Karolyi, the better.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beach Volleyball - Olympics: Day 4 : News Photo

Beach Volleyball - Olympics: Day 4 : News Photo

Interesting that beach volleyball players had the same uniform design but with their regular tour kit sponsor on there instead of a federation sponsor. they appeared to be the only ones with this.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

31 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Never seen a goat choke so hard in my life

You don't remember Dan vs Dave do you?

When you realize how long Simone Biles has been involved in US Gymnastics, age and mental wear and tear are coming into play more than if this had happened last year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

58 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Never seen a goat choke so hard in my life

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that the sarcasm emoji was left out.

But, if not...

A four-time Olympic gold medalist, who was shoved under a gargantuan microscope as the main draw of an ill-conceived money grab of an Olympics more in a Petri dish than in a bubble, without any fans or family around to give support, who had to endure sexual assault as a sick right of passage just to be let in the door, who has had her difficulty points manipulated due to her being so much better that they don't want competitors attempting suicidal moves to come anywhere close to matching her, who can risk paralysis or death if she has the absolute smallest iota of something distracting her, who is very much at the upper age limit of a sport that regularly has barely pubescent girls in medal contention, pulling herself out of competition for her mental health is not choking.

VmWIn6B.png

25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

You don't remember Dan vs Dave do you?

When you realize how long Simone Biles has been involved in US Gymnastics, age and mental wear and tear are coming into play more than if this had happened last year. 

Lmao nah I had never heard of this, that was hilarious

4 minutes ago, LMU said:

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that the sarcasm emoji was left out.

But, if not...

A four-time Olympic gold medalist, who was shoved under a gargantuan microscope as the main draw of an ill-conceived money grab of an Olympics more in a Petri dish than in a bubble, without any fans or family around to give support, who had to endure sexual assault as a sick right of passage just to be let in the door, who has had her difficulty points manipulated due to her being so much better that they don't want competitors attempting suicidal moves to come anywhere close to matching her, who can risk paralysis or death if she has the absolute smallest iota of something distracting her, who is very much at the upper age limit of a sport that regularly has barely pubescent girls in medal contention, pulling herself out of competition for her mental health is not choking.

1627402023121.png

In her own words she couldn't handle the pressure. She reveled in the GOAT tag, then she choked. It happens man, it's not a personal attack on her

Just now, ManillaToad said:

1627402023121.png

In her own words she couldn't handle the pressure. She reveled in the GOAT tag, then she choked. It happens man, it's not a personal attack on her

Remind me of all the times that GOAT Michael Jordan risked death if his mind wasn't right after an all-night gambling bender.

VmWIn6B.png

2 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

1627402023121.png

Choking is forgetting which direction your basket is when you have the chance to win a game. She was dealing with mental illness, stress and the pressure to be the best every single time she went out there and decided she didn't need to do that to herself. That's not choking. The fact that she had the wherewithal to take herself out, that's the furthest thing from choking. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, LMU said:

Remind me of all the times that GOAT Michael Jordan risked death if his mind wasn't right after an all-night gambling bender.

Not having the mental fortitude to win in the biggest moment with the most eyes on you is the same thing as not having the physical talent to do so. Did I dream the run Biles did do before she threw in the towel? Because it wasn't good. I'm glad she recognized she didn't have what it takes and thus didn't risk injury.

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

Choking is forgetting which direction your basket is when you have the chance to win a game. She was dealing with mental illness, stress and the pressure to be the best every single time she went out there and decided she didn't need to do that to herself. That's not choking. The fact that she had the wherewithal to take herself out, that's the furthest thing from choking. 

Not being able to handle pressure on the biggest stage is absolutely choking dude lmao, good Lord. Also the furthest thing from choking is winning

7 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Not having the mental fortitude to win in the biggest moment with the most eyes on you is the same thing as not having the physical talent to do so.

Mental fortitude!? You really don't understand how stress works if you believe that. You can be the most mentally tough person ever, and one little thing brings that crashing down. It's why we need to treat PTSD way better than we do now. Also, PTSD is not just something troops get, anyone can have it especially sexual assault survivors who may be experiencing deja vu due to something as insignificant to everyone else as a random saying, or even a random smell. That stuff can cause a person to freeze. I know because it's happened to me and people I've worked with, in sports and in the military. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Not having the mental fortitude to win in the biggest moment with the most eyes on you is the same thing as not having the physical talent to do so. Did I dream the run Biles did do before she threw in the towel? Because it wasn't good. I'm glad she recognized she didn't have what it takes and thus didn't risk injury.

Not being able to handle pressure on the biggest stage is absolutely choking dude lmao, good Lord. Also the furthest thing from choking is winning

Choking would be her going out there anyway, falling on her face, and costing the team.  As @MJWalker45 said, this is the opposite of choking.

And, quite frankly considering the absolute $#!+show of circumstances right now, could anyone in her position be in a place to succeed?  An empty arena, family thousands of miles away, constant nasal swabs, living in an antiseptic lockdown.  At least the NBA bubble had access to parts of Disney World.

And again, the part that needs to be repeated.  SHE.  WAS.  RAPED.  AS.  A.  CONDITION.  OF.  HER.  SPOT.  ON.  THE.  TEAM.

VmWIn6B.png

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

Mental fortitude!? You really don't understand how stress works if you believe that. You can be the most mentally tough person ever, and one little thing brings that crashing down. It's why we need to treat PTSD way better than we do now. Also, PTSD is not just something troops get, anyone can have it especially sexual assault survivors who may be experiencing deja vu due to something as insignificant to everyone else as a random saying, or even a random smell. That stuff can cause a person to freeze. I know because it's happened to me and people I've worked with, in sports and in the military. 

What are you talking about lol? Handling pressure is mental fortitude. Are you seriously gonna pretend the mental game isn't a part of being a top athlete? 

1 minute ago, LMU said:

Choking would be her going out there anyway, falling on her face, and costing the team.  As @MJWalker45 said, this is the opposite of choking.

And, quite frankly considering the absolute $#!+show of circumstances right now, could anyone in her position be in a place to succeed?  An empty arena, family thousands of miles away, constant nasal swabs, living in an antiseptic lockdown.  At least the NBA bubble had access to parts of Disney World.

And again, the part that needs to be repeated.  SHE.  WAS.  RAPED.  AS.  A.  CONDITION.  OF.  HER.  SPOT.  ON.  THE.  TEAM.

She did go out there, she did fail, and she did cost her team. Did you even watch her perform? You gotta calm down dude, you're taking this way too personally. She literally said herself that she couldn't handle the pressure. Why does that upset you so much? It happens in sports, it isn't that big of a deal

13 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Valuable board contributor, poster to *WATCH*

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Just now, ManillaToad said:

She did go out there, she did fail, and she did cost her team. Did you even watch her perform? You gotta calm down dude, you're taking this way too personally. She literally said herself that she couldn't handle the pressure. Why does that upset you so much? It happens in sports, it isn't that big of a deal

Armchair quarterbacks belittling peoples' mental health hits a nerve.

VmWIn6B.png

1 minute ago, ManillaToad said:

. Are you seriously gonna pretend the mental game isn't a part of being a top athlete? 

Yes it is. It also is part of being a human being, which you are discounting. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, LMU said:

Armchair quarterbacks belittling peoples' mental health hits a nerve.

When did I belittle her mental health? I said she couldn't handle the pressure, which she said herself. Is your problem with the term "choke"?

7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Yes it is. It also is part of being a human being, which you are discounting. 

Discounting it how? I literally said I'm glad she didn't put herself at risk by continuing on when she knew she couldn't do it safely.

4 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

When did I belittle her mental health? I said she couldn't handle the pressure, which she said herself. Is your problem with the term "choke"? Discounting it how? I literally said I'm glad she didn't put herself at risk by continuing on when she knew she couldn't do it safely.

Referring to a mental health episode as choking is where you belittled her issues. I'm not sure I could have been more explicit.  Acknowledging that doing something would not be safe, is not choking. I don't get how you're not understanding that. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Referring to a mental health episode as choking is where you belittled her issues. I'm not sure I could have been more explicit.  Acknowledging that doing something would not be safe, is not choking. I don't get how you're not understanding that. 

This.

And the lack of awareness that Bill Buckner, Greg Norman, Jean van de Velde, and the 2014 San Jose Sharks didn't face the prospect of death, nor were there global pandemics or sexual assault histories at play.

VmWIn6B.png

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I was going off of seeing her talk about the pressure, I didn't see anything she must have said about having mental health problems. Wasn't insulting her either way. I don't see "choking" as a personal insult, but I can understand why other people would. 

31 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Valuable board contributor, poster to *WATCH*

👋

Simone Biles didn't need to prove anything to anyone and gymnastics is dangerous if you're not in the right headspace. 

Unrelated, I was curious how they were going to hold the surfing competitions in future Olympics that aren't held in places with good surf. Waves off Japan's coast nearest Tokyo are relatively small for a surfing contest, but they're doing their best. Did some googling and Paris' surfing competition is going to be held in Tahiti aka French Polynesia, which is 10,000 miles away from Paris. If that's the case then I definitely think the 2020 games should've had every sport hold their own event in their own preferred location somewhere on the globe instead of forcing this into Tokyo, which doesn't even want them there. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 minutes ago, Sport said:

Simone Biles didn't need to prove anything to anyone and gymnastics is dangerous if you're not in the right headspace. 

Unrelated, I was curious how they were going to hold the surfing competitions in future Olympics that aren't held in places with good surf. Waves off Japan's coast nearest Tokyo are relatively small for a surfing contest, but they're doing their best. Did some googling and Paris' surfing competition is going to be held in Tahiti aka French Polynesia, which is 10,000 miles away from Paris. If that's the case then I definitely think the 2020 games should've had every sport hold their own event in their own preferred location somewhere on the globe instead of forcing this into Tokyo, which doesn't even want them there. 

Tahiti!?!? I figured surfing was in the same group as baseball and softball. Baseball and softball won't be held in Paris, but will be held in Los Angeles 2028. As far as every event in it's own part of the world at the same time, if they can do it for the Euros, why not? But then again you lose the main component, in a normal year, of having all of these diverse sports in one place. I wonder how many sports would have picked Azerbaijan and Hungary, based on crowds for the Euros. I'm joking of course, but after watching so many sports without crowds, then getting crowds back, watching this Olympics has reminded me of Rollerball, except we're not waiting for them to literally kill each other yet. I also have to say, watching the softball final, that I'm really disappointed that they played at a baseball stadium and not a purpose built softball field. There had to be a field somewhere in Japan that could have supported this, even if it's not close to Tokyo, especially when they don't need to worry about crowds. this would be like if instead of using the fields at USC or UCLA, Los Angeles had them use Inland Empire's, Rancho Cucamonga's or Bakersfield's baseball stadiums to save money. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived