Kansas City Cowboys (Hypothetical 2nd Kansas City MLB team) - Unused logos added

maxwasson

INTRODUCTION & BACKGROUND

I was inspired for this concept for a revived Kansas City Cowboys franchise by @SFGiants58's fantastic MLB the Defunct Saga thread, where did he logos for revived Monarchs & Blues franchises, but I did notice he didn't know about the handful of baseball teams that called themselves the "Kansas City Cowboys".  The Kansas City Cowboys refer to 4 teams with the same name but no true shared history it was a popular name for a Kansas City team back in the 19th century and early 20th century much like Blues. 

• Kansas City Cowboys (Union Association, 1884)
  • Kansas City Cowboys (National League, 1886)
  • Kansas City Cowboys (Western Association, 1885, 1887, 1894)1
  • Kansas City Cowboys (American Association, 1888-1889)
  • Kansas City Cowboys (American Association (II)2, 19033
  • Kansas City Cowboys (NFL, 1925-1926) 4

1  The Kansas City Cowboys of the Western Association were a minor league team that frequently flipped between the Blues and Cowboys names, they moved to the American League in 1900 and in 1901 relocated to Washington D.C. to become the first incarnation of the Washington Senators

2  This American Association is not the same as the first American Association that played from 1882-1891, this American Association played from 1902 to 1997 and is not to be confused with the present-day American Association of Professional Baseball

The 20th century minor-league Kansas City Blues once played the 1903 season under the Kansas City Cowboys moniker, before switching back to the Blues in 1904, this minor-league team eventually moved to play and Denver and New Orleans and now play just 3 hours from Kansas City in Wichita, KS as the Wichita WindSurge (The Twins AA affiliate)

This is not baseball, but during the early NFL years, Kansas City got their first NFL team in 1924 where they played as the Blues, but their last 2 seasons they were known as the Cowboys, a name that hadn't been used by any team in the area in 20 years at this point, despite being headquartered in Kansas City the Cowboys were a traveling team and never played home games in KC, but this NFL franchise is the last time the Cowboys moniker has been used for a professional or minor-league franchise in Kansas City.

So it got me thinking, what if the Kansas City Cowboys were to come back as a modern Major League Baseball franchise? I envisioned them playing on the Kansas side of Kansas City (KCK) possibly at an upgraded Legends Field (Current home of the indyball Kansas City Monarchs) in the National League's Central Division being with rivals with both the Cards and the Royals on the Missouri side.  

This past week, I commissioned a guy on Fiverr who guys by the username "dollob" to commission me a modern logo for a revived Kansas City Cowboys franchise. This is what they designed

THE LOGOS

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by maxwasson
Extra history pertaining to the KC Cowboys nicknames.
  • Like 3

QNXVyki.png

2 minutes ago, PowderedWater said:

Terrific logos! Are you working on uniforms for the team?

I just commissioned logos, I don't know how to do uniforms, but I would make some if I knew how to do them.  I also have a version of the main logo without the insignia right here 

spacer.png

• Like 1

QNXVyki.png

1 hour ago, teeray01 said:

What program do you use.  I have a template in Corel Draw but I can save it as a pdf or eps.  It has editable strips on the pants and jersey as well as editable sock stipes. 

I did not create these logos myself, I commissioned dollob on Fiverr and he used Adobe Illustrator to make these. 

Unfortunately, I do not have Adobe Illustrator, So I can't edit the .ai file I received from the commission, but if you know of a software that can please let me know

QNXVyki.png

7 hours ago, teeray01 said:

Ok.  Sounds good.  Happy to help if needed. 

I installed Inkscape this morning and I already need help, I opened the .ai file that came with the commission and Inkscape reads it as a PDF for some reason and I don't see the logo. 

QNXVyki.png

I've decided to compile all my logo assets into a homage of SFGiants58's MLB: The Defunct Saga series showing off the logos for a revived Kansas City Cowboys franchise. 

spacer.png

NOTE: I really really tried to do uniforms, but I am a total Inkscape noob, So I didn't want stress myself out on uniforms for a passion project, maybe if anyone else here is willing to do uniforms for this concept, that would be spectacular. 

QNXVyki.png

• maxwasson changed the title to Kansas City Cowboys (Hypothetical 2nd Kansas City MLB team) - MLB: The Defunct Saga homage added
2 hours ago, maxwasson said:

I've decided to compile all my logo assets into a homage of SFGiants58's MLB: The Defunct Saga series showing off the logos for a revived Kansas City Cowboys franchise. 

spacer.png

NOTE: I really really tried to do uniforms, but I am a total Inkscape noob, So I didn't want stress myself out on uniforms for a passion project, maybe if anyone else here is willing to do uniforms for this concept, that would be spectacular. 

Alright, I think I'll throw my hat in the ring...🤠 It won't look like SFGiants58's work, as I use a different template, and it'll be a while because I'm not at home at the moment, and I can't guarantee you'll like it.  You will feel some type of way about it though, I can guarantee.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

17 minutes ago, Discrim said:

Alright, I think I'll throw my hat in the ring...🤠 It won't look like SFGiants58's work, as I use a different template, and it'll be a while because I'm not at home at the moment, and I can't guarantee you'll like it.  You will feel some type of way about it though, I can guarantee.

Hmm, alright. I'm curious to see what you come up with

QNXVyki.png

I've also made a mini-graphic comparing this KC Cowboys concept to the other Kansas City teams that were in the MLB: The Defunct Saga thread, I think we almost have a complete collection, I've also done some more research there are 5 other Kansas City baseball teams. The Kansas City Giants, Kansas City Maroons, Kansas City Packers, Kansas City Royal Giants, and Kansas City Blue Stockings. 

spacer.png

QNXVyki.png

All in all good work. I like the basic idea but have a few nitpicks and suggestions:

- Is there a reason the KC monogram is black (or at least a very dark shade of brown) while the rest of the branding uses a much lighter shade of brown?

- Now that the Royals have switched back to a block “Kansas City” wordmark for their road unis, maybe think about using a script “Kansas City” for the Cowboys.

- Would you consider a different color scheme? It’s hard not to notice how similar this one is to the Padres.

9 hours ago, coco1997 said:

All in all good work. I like the basic idea but have a few nitpicks and suggestions:

- Is there a reason the KC monogram is black (or at least a very dark shade of brown) while the rest of the branding uses a much lighter shade of brown?

- Now that the Royals have switched back to a block “Kansas City” wordmark for their road unis, maybe think about using a script “Kansas City” for the Cowboys.

- Would you consider a different color scheme? It’s hard not to notice how similar this one is to the Padres.

Yeah, I kinda didn't notice that at first, but if you do examine it closely it is a slightly darker shade of brown than the rest of the design

The wordmark/script logo files that @teeray01 sent me just so happened to include Royals wordmarks, and I needed a road script logo badly so I decided to use one of those from the .svg file

Hmm, I could've gone with black and red but I just didn't want it to be blue (cause that's the Royals color scheme), and I don't know if the colors I chose are too similar to the Padres, the yellow in this concept is way lighter than the Padres. So I'm making the argument that the colors are different enough that people shouldn't confuse them

QNXVyki.png