MLB MULTIVERSE

MJD7

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I dig the premise of this one, but I'm not really feeling the "NO" monogram. How about something like the Negro League New Orleans Pelicans cap logo, with the "N" centered in the middle of the "O"?

spacer.png

The way the "N" is shaped makes it difficult for an "O" to intersect with it well. These are a couple options that could maybe work (the second feels very UNC-esque):

SSsUx25.png

Vciyy16.png

5 hours ago, GeauxColonels said:

Actually, "Creoles" would be a much better name for a team located in New Orleans. "Cajuns" are located in other regions of the state Lafayette/Acadiana (which is west of Baton Rouge) and the Bayou Region (southwest of New Orleans, stretching along the coast over to Acadiana). 

That sounded fine to me at first, but since "creole" can also mean "a person of mixed European and Black descent, especially in the Caribbean," I'm not sure I'd want to get into that confusion. Plus, since it seems (at least to me) at least a bit more race-based than geography-based, it might be slipping too much into controversial territory. I don't know enough about that myself, I'd have to see what other people think. But since a sports team already uses the name "Cajuns" (The University of Louisiana), that seems like the safer way to go, at least in this hypothetical.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Of the two, I think I prefer the second option a bit more.

I do too.

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Pretty cool idea. What if they did a total 180 and changed from Yankees to Rebels lol?

I don't imagine that name would (or at least, should) last into the modern day, especially as a contrast to Yankees, given the historical context.

What if... the Expos relocated to New Orleans (and changed their name)?

Along with Buffalo, New Orleans was prepared to swoop in if the Montreal deal fell through. I once again went with the name "Pelicans," and used the New Orleans "Baby Cakes" font throughout the design.

WK7xaPB.png

RJpioXG.png

OOBMRH7.png

s0ZjEY0.png

• Like 11
  • Love 5
  • Applause 3

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [New Orleans Pelicans (Expos)]
18 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Expos relocated to New Orleans (and changed their name)?

Along with Buffalo, New Orleans was prepared to swoop in if the Montreal deal fell through. I once again went with the name "Pelicans," and used the New Orleans "Baby Cakes" font throughout the design.

WK7xaPB.png

RJpioXG.png

OOBMRH7.png

s0ZjEY0.png

The whole set is gorgeous, but those two alts might be some of my favorite designs in this entire series! 

I know you're probably going to hate me for this 😂, but I came across a few Indians and Braves relocations for your consideration:

Atlanta IndiansThis article claims that, prior to the Braves landing there in 1966, the Indians were contenders for Atlanta.

Dallas & San Diego Braves - Struggling to keep his team in Milwaukee amidst a steady decline in attendance, Braves president John McHale in 1964 acknowledged he had met with representatives from Dallas and San Diego about moving his team out West.

Oakland Indians – In September 1964, the newly-formed Oakland Baseball Corp. made a $6.5 million bid to purchase and move the Indians to Oaktown but were rejected by Cleveland’s board of directors.

Keep up the amazing work! I'll be sad when this series comes to an end. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Oh, that is B E A U T I F U L

Well done 👏 

Thank you very much! I was stuck on what to do for your "New Orleans Expos" recommendation ever since you suggested it, but thankfully I had a spur of inspiration the morning of!

22 hours ago, maxwasson said:

Well this was a nice surprise!

I'm glad you like it!

19 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The whole set is gorgeous, but those two alts might be some of my favorite designs in this entire series!

Thanks!

19 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Atlanta IndiansThis article claims that, prior to the Braves landing there in 1966, the Indians were contenders for Atlanta.

Dallas & San Diego Braves - Struggling to keep his team in Milwaukee amidst a steady decline in attendance, Braves president John McHale in 1964 acknowledged he had met with representatives from Dallas and San Diego about moving his team out West.

Oakland Indians – In September 1964, the newly-formed Oakland Baseball Corp. made a $6.5 million bid to purchase and move the Indians to Oaktown but were rejected by Cleveland’s board of directors.

Since I'd likely have to change the name for each of these, I'm probably gonna put these on hold at least for now (I'm open to any recommendations for names). 

18 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

New Orleans is awesome. Pelicans works great for a baseball team. Much better fitting than it is for basketball.

Thanks! The more I think about it, I'm honestly suprised New Orleans doesn't have an MLB team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Also, I believe that's all of the teams I had prepared & the recommendations I've been given (I'm almost afraid to ask if I've missed any 😂), I have a few more "temporary" relocations to show & then that'll wrap it up!

I think yesterday I did request "New Orleans Pelicans" in the White Sox and Pirates style

gT1BtSs.png

What if... the Yankees (temporarily) relocated to Denver?

Amidst stadium renovations, the Yanks announced in November 1982 that they were about to reach an agreement with Denver to play the first 3 home games of the next season at Mile High Stadium, but the plan was rejected. 

9Q6Jo1L.png

UZsXycR.png

oJahudB.png

• Like 3
  • WOAH 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Denver Yankees]
21 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Since I'd likely have to change the name for each of these, I'm probably gonna put these on hold at least for now (I'm open to any recommendations for names). 

Well, you could keep the "Braves" name for San Diego, but repurpose it to honor the city's Naval presence ("Land of the free, because of the brave"), similar to how some :wink2: have argued the Braves could drop the Native American imagery and have their name refer to firefighters. You could then lean into the Padres' navy and gold color scheme from 2016. 

For the Dallas Braves, you could just use "Rangers," since the Senators would not move to Texas for nearly another decade. Plus, there was a minor league team at the time with that name. Other possibilities are "Spurs," "Rebels," "Steers," "Navigators," "Griffins" and "Eagles." 

For the Oakland Indians, you could go with "Oaks," as there's a precedent for MLB teams co-opting Pacific Coast League identities. And since you used "Rainiers" for your Cleveland-to-Seattle relocation, "Oaks" would be the logical choice. 

For the Atlanta Indians, there's always the Crackers (no relation to the Black Crackers of the Negro Leagues), the minor league team that existed in Atlanta for over 70 seasons. There would also be something deeply funny about a team formerly called the "Indians" changing its name to "Crackers." 😂 Other options are "Colts" and "Windjammers." 

21 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Also, I believe that's all of the teams I had prepared & the recommendations I've been given (I'm almost afraid to ask if I've missed any 😂), I have a few more "temporary" relocations to show & then that'll wrap it up!

The only one I previously suggested that you haven't covered yet is the Minneapolis-St. Paul Indians

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coco1997 said:

For the Atlanta Indians, there's always the Crackers (no relation to the Black Crackers of the Negro Leagues), the minor league team that existed in Atlanta for over 70 seasons. There would also be something deeply funny about a team formerly called the "Indians" changing its name to "Crackers." 😂 Other options are "Colts" and "Windjammers." 

I would instantly buy a Crackers jersey lol

• Like 1

sig.png

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Well, you could keep the "Braves" name for San Diego, but repurpose it to honor the city's Naval presence ("Land of the free, because of the brave"), similar to how some :wink2: have argued the Braves could drop the Native American imagery and have their name refer to firefighters. You could then lean into the Padres' navy and gold color scheme from 2016. 

For the Dallas Braves, you could just use "Rangers," since the Senators would not move to Texas for nearly another decade. Plus, there was a minor league team at the time with that name. Other possibilities are "Spurs," "Rebels," "Steers," "Navigators," "Griffins" and "Eagles." 

For the Oakland Indians, you could go with "Oaks," as there's a precedent for MLB teams co-opting Pacific Coast League identities. And since you used "Rainiers" for your Cleveland-to-Seattle relocation, "Oaks" would be the logical choice. 

These seem promising, the most difficult aspect would be recreating the wordmarks (the Braves' script is an especially difficult one to work with). 

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

To be completely honest, none of these names feel promising to me. Maybe they could snag "Hawks" from the NBA team since this would predate them by a few years.

22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The only one I previously suggested that you haven't covered yet is the Minneapolis-St. Paul Indians

This is another one where I'm not sure what I'd do for the name. Plus, I'm honestly not too big on any of Cleveland's past scripts, so I'd have a tough time adapting them to my favorite team. 😂

• Like 1

What if... the Blue Jays (temporarily) relocated to Buffalo?

This one isn't really a "what if," as the Jays really did play home games in Buffalo during the 2020 season. The elmination of the red maple leaf allowed for navy's presence in the set to be increased a bit.

aScrn2k.png

ZcFhLC5.png

wsNfHBH.png

Qa35UK6.png

• Like 7

1 minute ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Blue Jays (temporarily) relocated to Buffalo?

This one isn't really a "what if," as the Jays really did play home games in Buffalo during the 2020 season. The elmination of the red maple leaf allowed for navy's presence in the set to be increased a bit.

aScrn2k.png

ZcFhLC5.png

wsNfHBH.png

Qa35UK6.png

Nice job on the Buffalo Blue Jays, If I remember correctly the Blue Jays also almost played temporary home games in Pittsburgh sharing PNC Park with the Pirates.

• Like 2

gT1BtSs.png

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Buffalo Blue Jays]
22 hours ago, MJD7 said:

These seem promising, the most difficult aspect would be recreating the wordmarks (the Braves' script is an especially difficult one to work with). 

For San Diego, I was actually thinking you could create a "BRAVES" wordmark in the style of the current Padres wordmarks like you did for the San Diego Reds. Alternatively, you could keep the current "Braves" script and just use an "SD" monogram on the road jersey in lieu of a full "San Diego" script/wordmark, a la the late '80s Padres. 

22 hours ago, MJD7 said:

To be completely honest, none of these names feel promising to me. Maybe they could snag "Hawks" from the NBA team since this would predate them by a few years.

I didn't think of this until just now, but how about the "Eagles"? It's a name the Braves considered adopting in the '70s, it would fit the theme of the other Atlanta teams being named after birds, and, since eagles are sacred in Native American culture, it could also serve as a respectful nod to the team's former identity.  

22 hours ago, MJD7 said:

This is another one where I'm not sure what I'd do for the name. Plus, I'm honestly not too big on any of Cleveland's past scripts, so I'd have a tough time adapting them to my favorite team. 😂

Yeah, that's a tough one. I'll try to think of something that has some historical relevance and sounds good. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, coco1997 said:

For San Diego, I was actually thinking you could create a "BRAVES" wordmark in the style of the current Padres wordmarks like you did for the San Diego Reds. Alternatively, you could keep the current "Braves" script and just use an "SD" monogram on the road jersey in lieu of a full "San Diego" script/wordmark, a la the late '80s Padres. 

Those are both viable options! I'll see what I can do.

20 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I didn't think of this until just now, but how about the "Eagles"? It's a name the Braves considered adopting in the '70s, it would fit the theme of the other Atlanta teams being named after birds, and, since eagles are sacred in Native American culture, it could also serve as a respectful nod to the team's former identity.

Maybe!