MLB MULTIVERSE

MJD7

What if... the Twins (temporarily) relocated to Salt Lake?

If the Twins were sold & moved to Charlotte, a plan surfaced that the team would stay in Salt Lake for a couple years while the new stadium was built. I figured they could go with a temporary "Salt Lake Bees" identity.

ySsKIcm.png

fQX5d7e.png

zgDS88U.png

W9J5qek.png

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Salt Lake Bees (Twins)]
  • MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Oakland Oaks (Cleveland)]
2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Sure thing:

tlxyWLJ.png

XO3mjcW.png

Much as I like pinstripes on non-white or gray uniforms, these versions feel a bit more "MLB" to me. 

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... Cleveland's baseball team relocated to Oakland (and changed their name)? 

Per @coco1997: In 1964, the "Oakland Baseball Corp." made a $6.5 million bid to purchase and move the team but were rejected by Cleveland’s board of directors. I went with "Oaks," the name of the PCL team.

LtGlkLF.png

cJVizk0.png

Wzk0ktW.png

kIFTNXS.png

Great work creating those scripts in the Guardians' style! I'm curious to see how this set would look with forest green in place of Kelly, similar to how the Guardians pair red with navy blue. 

I have to say, it's a nice change of pace to see a concept involving a team moving to Oakland rather than from it. :wink2:

I was thinking about a potential Indians-to-Minnesota name change, and here are a few ideas I came up with:

Gophers - This name could serve as a nod to both the black baseball club of the early 1900s (the St. Paul Colored Gophers, also called the Twin City Gophers) and the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers. 

Lakers - With the Lakers leaving Minneapolis for L.A. following the 1960 season, maybe the Indians could grab that name shortly after their arrival? "Lakers" always made way more sense for a Minnesota team ("Land of 10,000 Lakes") than a Los Angeles one. 

(Hero) Twins - You could keep the "Twins" name but have it refer to the "Hero Twins" (or "God Boys") of Native American mythology. 

Vikings - Perhaps the relocated Indians, still wanting a name that refers to a group of warrior people, could beat the NFL squad to the punch by a few years? Other names the Vikings considered were "Miners," "Chippewas" and "Voyageurs." 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Great work creating those scripts in the Guardians' style! I'm curious to see how this set would look with forest green in place of Kelly, similar to how the Guardians pair red with navy blue. 

Thanks! I thought about going with forest green, but it just felt too "drab" compared to kelly green. Here's a look, though:

JHN1YML.png

VC0nW2f.png

Gh4mojl.png

owYaq0G.png

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I was thinking about a potential Indians-to-Minnesota name change, and here are a few ideas I came up with:

Gophers - This name could serve as a nod to both the black baseball club of the early 1900s (the St. Paul Colored Gophers, also called the Twin City Gophers) and the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers. 

Lakers - With the Lakers leaving Minneapolis for L.A. following the 1960 season, maybe the Indians could grab that name shortly after their arrival? "Lakers" always made way more sense for a Minnesota team ("Land of 10,000 Lakes") than a Los Angeles one. 

(Hero) Twins - You could keep the "Twins" name but have it refer to the "Hero Twins" (or "God Boys") of Native American mythology. 

Vikings - Perhaps the relocated Indians, still wanting a name that refers to a group of warrior people, could beat the NFL squad to the punch by a few years? Other names the Vikings considered were "Miners," "Chippewas" and "Voyageurs." 

I'll see what I can do; of those options, keeping "Twins" or going with "Vikings" feel the most promising.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Thanks! I thought about going with forest green, but it just felt too "drab" compared to kelly green. Here's a look, though:

I think I prefer this version a bit more; the darker green contrasts much better with the red. 

27 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I'll see what I can do; of those options, keeping "Twins" or going with "Vikings" feel the most promising.

Yeah, I was actually thinking "Vikings" as an MLB team would the most fun to see. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 9:29 AM, MJD7 said:

What if... the Twins (temporarily) relocated to Salt Lake?

If the Twins were sold & moved to Charlotte, a plan surfaced that the team would stay in Salt Lake for a couple years while the new stadium was built. I figured they could go with a temporary "Salt Lake Bees" identity.

ySsKIcm.png

fQX5d7e.png

zgDS88U.png

W9J5qek.png

If Salt Lake City manages to get an MLB expansion team, I could see them going with something like this. Well done!

(I could also see an MLB Bees team channel the Boston Bees and go Navy/Yellow, so there’s a chance this could be a glimpse into the future if things fall into place for the MLB-to-SLC crowd.)

Edited by DustDevil61
Added PS note
  • Like 3

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Salt Lake Twins]
11 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Twins (temporarily) relocated to Salt Lake City?

I didn't think the 'Twins' name could work in SLC, but a Twitter user pointed out to me that it could represent the 'Twin Peaks' of the nearby Wasatch Mountains.

jIQgncW.png

fu5shQ1.png

LaG1wA3.png

oKBJLxw.png

I really like the idea of "Twins" referring to the mountains, but with this name change, the use of yellow/gold doesn't make as much sense as it did for a team called the "Bees." Mountains make me think of cool tones, so how about a scheme based on Salt Lake City's previous flag?

spacer.png

You'd have to play around with the shades a bit to find the right contrast, but I think it has potential. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:50 AM, MJD7 said:

LtGlkLF.png

cJVizk0.png

Wzk0ktW.png

kIFTNXS.png

Definitely an interesting concept (love the sleeve patch!), but this would be a huge drag for anyone red-green colorblind.  The darker version you posted later does help with this a little, but they both still struggle to show up on websites like Coblindor.  Maybe a kelly green-navy combo would work better in this case?  Other than that, nothing else to complain about - great series!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

So this one is entirely fictional, but since I know you said you were (at one point) running out of teams I thought I’d go ahead and suggest it.

Norfolk Yankees.

In Billy Joel’s “Miami 2017” he includes the line “They sent a carrier out from Norfolk and picked the Yankees up for free.” I thought that might be a fun concept, the Norfolk Yankees. The song was written around the time that NYC was going bankrupt, so the song was a “what if” about that. 

On 9/18/2023 at 12:59 PM, coco1997 said:

I really like the idea of "Twins" referring to the mountains, but with this name change, the use of yellow/gold doesn't make as much sense as it did for a team called the "Bees." Mountains make me think of cool tones, so how about a scheme based on Salt Lake City's previous flag?

spacer.png

You'd have to play around with the shades a bit to find the right contrast, but I think it has potential. 

I get that. I honestly didn't keep navy & yellow entirely because of the Bees, but because the Utah Jazz also used to have a similar color scheme. Personally, if I ever did a royal blue & kelly green color scheme for the Twins, I'd want to reserve it for Minnesota, as it's one of my personal favorite color schemes and has precedence in the Twin Cities. I suppose I could harken back to an earlier Jazz scheme, which also uses cool colors:

ywZlnXq.png

It ends up pretty similar to my Carolina Twins concept, though.

20 hours ago, teeray01 said:

How about the Utah Bees?

Honestly, I prefer the way "Salt Lake Bees" sounds.

18 hours ago, FlyingLamprey said:

Definitely an interesting concept (love the sleeve patch!), but this would be a huge drag for anyone red-green colorblind.  The darker version you posted later does help with this a little, but they both still struggle to show up on websites like Coblindor.  Maybe a kelly green-navy combo would work better in this case?  Other than that, nothing else to complain about - great series!

That's very true, thank you for the insight! I played around a bit with the color-blindness simulator you linked, and it honestly seems like the red alternate would be the biggest issue, but even then , the white outline on the script helps out a great deal. Otherwise, the scripts would just look a slight bit thicker to someone who is red-green colorblind than they do to people who are not color-blind. It could also help to have a white outline on the away jersey, which I was considering adding anyway:

uJho3vK.png

I've always been kind of bummed that there aren't more red & green teams in sports, but the point you bring up is probably a big reason why. Thank you again for the feedback & kind words!

2 hours ago, HobbesTHero said:

So this one is entirely fictional, but since I know you said you were (at one point) running out of teams I thought I’d go ahead and suggest it.

Norfolk Yankees.

In Billy Joel’s “Miami 2017” he includes the line “They sent a carrier out from Norfolk and picked the Yankees up for free.” I thought that might be a fun concept, the Norfolk Yankees. The song was written around the time that NYC was going bankrupt, so the song was a “what if” about that. 

Since it's fictional, without any actual evidence surrounding it, I'd probably prefer not to get into it, as if anything, I'm trying to run out of teams at this point, but suggestions keep coming. 😂 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [San Diego Braves]
2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I get that. I honestly didn't keep navy & yellow entirely because of the Bees, but because the Utah Jazz also used to have a similar color scheme. Personally, if I ever did a royal blue & kelly green color scheme for the Twins, I'd want to reserve it for Minnesota, as it's one of my personal favorite color schemes and has precedence in the Twin Cities. I suppose I could harken back to an earlier Jazz scheme, which also uses cool colors:

ywZlnXq.png

It ends up pretty similar to my Carolina Twins concept, though.

You're right about this version coming pretty close to your Carolina set. I didn't even think of suggesting Jazz colors, but that makes a ton of sense. 

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Braves relocated to San Diego?

Braves president John McHale in 1964 admitted he had met with representatives from San Diego about moving the team out West. I went with a scheme inspired by the city's large naval presence.

ZObU3V8.png

otkZu51.png

BYnzqmZ.png

ArrNLNG.png

Great job creating that "San Diego" script in the style of the Braves! I know that's an especially tricky script to work with, but you pulled it off. 

I'd kind of like to see the navy & gold on the home and road jerseys reversed, if only because on those 2016 Padres unis, navy was the primary color with gold used as trim. I also realized that if you wanted to, you could use the Padres' original 1969-84 "SD" monogram somewhere, since its blockiness matches the Braves' number font fairly well. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Great job creating that "San Diego" script in the style of the Braves! I know that's an especially tricky script to work with, but you pulled it off. 

I'd kind of like to see the navy & gold on the home and road jerseys reversed, if only because on those 2016 Padres unis, navy was the primary color with gold used as trim. I also realized that if you wanted to, you could use the Padres' original 1969-84 "SD" monogram somewhere, since its blockiness matches the Braves' number font fairly well. 

Thanks! 

A general rule of thumb I've developed for Braves concepts (the Angels follow the same rule for me, too) is that the outline of the script ought to be darker than the script itself, at least on the primary home & away jerseys, because the outline is so thick and the script itself is so thin. Otherwise, it ends up looking like a "re-color concept," for lack of a better term, that disregards a bit why the original wordmark was colored the way it was. Regardless, here's a look at your request:

sO0i12q.png

AobZkdw.png

It honestly looks better than I expected, I took the liberty of trimming the stripes down from 3 to 2, as otherwise it was just too much gold.

• Like 3

What if... the Braves relocated to Dallas (and changed their name)?

Per @coco1997: Braves president John McHale also met with representatives from Dallas in 1964 to discuss moving the team there. The Braves' throwback "Hank Aaron" set was a big source of inspiration for this one.

GBmj0aI.png

OVzmQ8y.png

mXPBdEb.png

u7yK6Jd.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• MJD7 changed the title to MLB MULTIVERSE [Texas Rangers (Braves)]
5 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Thanks! 

A general rule of thumb I've developed for Braves concepts (the Angels follow the same rule for me, too) is that the outline of the script ought to be darker than the script itself, at least on the primary home & away jerseys, because the outline is so thick and the script itself is so thin. Otherwise, it ends up looking like a "re-color concept," for lack of a better term, that disregards a bit why the original wordmark was colored the way it was. Regardless, here's a look at your request:

sO0i12q.png

AobZkdw.png

It honestly looks better than I expected, I took the liberty of trimming the stripes down from 3 to 2, as otherwise it was just too much gold.

Yeah, this looks great. The simplified piping was a good call, too, and looks closer to those Padres jerseys. 

5 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What if... the Braves relocated to Dallas (and changed their name)?

Per @coco1997: Braves president John McHale also met with representatives from Dallas in 1964 to discuss moving the team there. The Braves' throwback "Hank Aaron" set was a big source of inspiration for this one.

GBmj0aI.png

OVzmQ8y.png

mXPBdEb.png

u7yK6Jd.png

Love this! The “Rangers” script is especially strong.

• Like 1