USFL 2024 If It Were Up To Me

WideRight

So, having just watched the 2023 USFL Championship, and hearing that 2024 will not bring expansion, and may not even bring all 8 clubs in their home stadiums, I have to say I am disappointed.  But, rather than whine about how the 3-year plan is now delayed, I thought I would come up with the USFL of 2024 if I were able to make it how I would want it.    This is not in any way based on the designs I have created for the Alt History USFL I have been running since late 2021.  

There will be 10 teams,  and I am redesigning the uniforms for all 8 current teams, as well as the two new teams.    I will start with the teams that I believe need the least adjustment to their looks, then move to the ones I think need more of a revamp, and finally the 2 expansion teams I could see for 2024 (maybe 2025 if the USFL can do it.)

One thing I will do for each team is create a white pant set (for very hot days) as well as a team color set.  Other than that, what you should find are several elements of the 2022-2023 looks for each team blended with some 1983-1985 callbacks, and maybe a new element or two,  so a blending of 2 eras with my own aesthetic preferences. 

We start with one of the teams that I think needs to change the least, the Michigan Panthers. 

spacer.png

Really the only changes are that I added the secondary M logo to the collar and I made some adjustments to the sleeve stripes to bring both the blue and champagne into the look.  Michigan is one of the better-looking teams IRL, so no need to be radical here. 

• Like 12

And since I want to post these in pairs, here is a Southern Division Team with few changes, the Birmingham Stallions. 

spacer.png

The changes for Birmingham:

1. Added the B-monogram secondary to the collar and added some color to the collars. 

2. Went for stripe consistency across the helmet, pants, and sleeves.  

• Like 9
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Dozap17 said:

Nice work on the first two, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if one or both of these eventually made it into your USFL alt history simulation by the time you got to present day

I agree and also hope so. I like both of these updated logos and they would fit in his alt league. May as well reuse your own work when it makes sense.

Look forward to seeing the two expansion teams. Part of me really wants the TB Bandits back and part of me wants a team in Canton but I think you’ll be going a different direction 

• Like 1

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

1 hour ago, BengalErnst said:

I agree and also hope so. I like both of these updated logos and they would fit in his alt league. May as well reuse your own work when it makes sense.

Look forward to seeing the two expansion teams. Part of me really wants the TB Bandits back and part of me wants a team in Canton but I think you’ll be going a different direction 

I'm hoping for a return of the Bandits as well. Not sure what Team 10 would be though...

Our next two teams, one from each division, and we are still very much in the "not much needs to be changed" range, but I think these are the last two before we hit the "moderate" and "major" changes teams.    I am also throwing in a revision of Birmingham because as I looked at it, something just did not work for me, so we have version 2. 

First up New Jersey.  This one honestly needs very little.  The only change I think would help is if they used a more traditional block font for the numbers.  The Generals have always a very basic, very traditional look, and it works. 

spacer.png

And from the south we tweak the Houston Gamblers.  Some changes worth noting:

1. I removed all the dark grey.  i just don't think it adds much.  Instead, it is a clean black and red look.

2. I kept side panels, but wanted a 3-stripe look instead of just one color.  So black/red/black, which comes off as just a single red stripe on the black jersey or pants. 

3. I added the secondary lace-H logo to the collar.

4. Added a single red stripe to the helmet, again paralleling the stripe pattern on the black pants and jersey. 

spacer.png

And the modifed version 2 of Birmingham, with changes made to the stripe order. 

spacer.png

Next up a moderately different New Orleans and Philadelphia. 

• Like 6

Now it starts to get interesting.  More significant changes with these two. 

Philadelphia:  Ideally I would like to see them go back to a metallic gold shell, but I don't think that is at all likely, so I made the following changes:

1. Adjusted the helmet stripe to go from red to orange only at the crown, not front to back.  

2. changed the side striping so that no red background is needed.  It transitions through three colors instead of 2. 

3. Removed the chest patch and added it to the collar.

4. Could still use something on the shoulders, or perhaps move the numbers up and add striping. Not yet, though. 

spacer.png

New Orleans Breakers

My big issues with the current Breakers look is the helmet.  The way they did the wave creates a huge dark blue egg on the back.  This adjusted version tries to fix that by making it more of a wave pattern across the entire back.  Other than that, the only major changes are the number font (minor shift) and that I opted to make the authentic jersey sleeves look more like the replicas they already sell, where the wave blends into  stripe that is one color moving to the front and a different color to the back. 

0FaxHCa.gif

I must confess, I stil wish New Orleans used the lighter blue for their jersey, but since both the sky blue and the darker blue are both somewhat lighter than the original versions, I can see why they opted for the darker blue to be the jersey color. 

Next up the 2 most radical changes:  Pittsburgh and Memphis (Will any shoulder yokes survive?) and then 2 expansion teams. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Thanks for the support.  Here are the last of the current 8 teams. 

Memphis

A lot to talk about here.  I kept the 2 current logos (despite my inner voice saying the paddlewheel logo was better) but reverted back to the original scarlet and silver look. 

You will also note a lot of 1984 design eleements included, like the single stripe on the helmet, the block font, 

New elements include the focus on two equal width stripes in two colors, seen on the sleeves and the pants.  I put the secondary logo on the helmet, because the primary does not work well when you put it on a silver helmet.  But, the primary does work well embeded on the sleeve stripes, so that is where you will see it.  

No way the USFL actually changes back to these colors, but  a man can dream. 

spacer.png

Pittsburgh

With the Maulers I again ignored the voice in my head that wanted to go back to purple and orange.  Instead what I focused on was trying to find some ways to both incorportae more 1984 elements and also make the look less Steeler-ish.  

1. Add more grey.  Particulary grey stripes on the helmet so it does not look like a Steeler helmet with a new decal on the side. 

2. Pant and sleeve stripes closer to the original 1984 designs (no yoke) and also using a bit more grey than the curent uniform. 

3. I also used a darker grey, since the current grey pants are too close to white.  More contrast is needed. 

Admitedly, it still looks like a cheap knockoff of the Steelers, but with Black and Gold, and black helmet and jersey, that is hard to avoid. 

spacer.png

So, who gets expansion clubs in 2024?  Will Canton get a team?  If so, will it be an old USFL concept repurposed?  (Pretty safe bet there.)

• Like 7
  • Meh 1

The Memphis concept is far superior to the real-life 2023 version, especially with bringing back the 80s (a.k.a. the right) colors for the 'Boats.

As for Pittsburgh, adding gray does make it a bit less Steelers-ish, still wish the 2023 real-life Maulers kept the purple and orange!

• Like 2

These are great. 

I think it would be cool if you found a way to incorporate the original Showboats wheel logo as a tertiary mark, either on the collar or maybe on the hips. 

The heavy use of gray on the Maulers really helps, but I'd listen to that voice in your head and bring back the purple and orange. As much as I like the gray, this still feels like Steelers cosplay. 

Ok, Two more teams, and these are the 2024 Expansion Clubs.

First up, no surprise, the Tampa Bay Bandits return.  Yes, more red, but so it goes.  

I use the 2022 logo, both primary and secondary, but return the striping to the 1980's black-white-red-white-black format.  

I modify the sleeve stripes a bit but otherwise a very traditional Bandits' look. 

spacer.png

And the 10th team is the Ohio Outlaws.  The league clearly wants a team in Canton, but since the original USFL did not have one, we borrow from the short-lived Oklahoma/Arizona Outlaws.  I don't see Tulsa getting a team so this is the best shot for Outlaws to be used.  I like it better than Blitz, because I do want to see Chicago added eventually.  

So, the Ohio version of the Outlaws uses the original Oklahoma logo, but instead of more red, we use Orange.  Why orange?  Well, both the Browns and Bengals make Orange the official color of Ohio football (Sorry, OSU).  So, Black and Orange is an homage to both the Browns and Bengals in a way.  

I wanted to preserve something of the 1984 Outlaws as well, so three thick stripes on the sleeves and pants, but in 2023 you have to do something interesting, so I expanded the stripes to occupy the entire sleeve (which are nowhere as long as 1980's sleeves.  Other than that it is pretty much the Oklahoma Outlaws recolored and relocated to Canton, Ohio. 

spacer.png

Thoughts?  Anyone think the USFL should expand to 12 teams any time soon? Maybe eventually. Just selfishly I want the Gold to return so I have a team within range to go see. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

You probably didn't know this, but black and orange are the colors of Massillon High School, which is Canton High's rival. So I'm not sure the locals would like this one. 

Canton's colors are maroon and white IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong, Ohio folx). So maybe start from there?

I'm also not sold on the Outlaws identity for this part of the country. Maybe the Canton Bulls? They wore maroon and had one of the best looks in the original USFL. Canton also has enough cache in the world of pro football to stand on its own.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

You probably didn't know this, but black and orange are the colors of Massillon High School, which is Canton High's rival. So I'm not sure the locals would like this one. 

Canton's colors are maroon and white IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong, Ohio folx). So maybe start from there?

I'm also not sold on the Outlaws identity for this part of the country. Maybe the Canton Bulls? They wore maroon and had one of the best looks in the original USFL. Canton also has enough cache in the world of pro football to stand on its own.

Canton McKinley's colors are actually red and black, which would fit perfectly with the Outlaws concept here.

Ohio Outlaws has a nice ring to it, but Ohio Invaders could be an alternative option as well

Edited by Dozap17
Wanted to change part of post
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

Ok, Two more teams, and these are the 2024 Expansion Clubs.

First up, no surprise, the Tampa Bay Bandits return.  Yes, more red, but so it goes.  

I use the 2022 logo, both primary and secondary, but return the striping to the 1980's black-white-red-white-black format.  

I modify the sleeve stripes a bit but otherwise a very traditional Bandits' look. 

spacer.png

And the 10th team is the Ohio Outlaws.  The league clearly wants a team in Canton, but since the original USFL did not have one, we borrow from the short-lived Oklahoma/Arizona Outlaws.  I don't see Tulsa getting a team so this is the best shot for Outlaws to be used.  I like it better than Blitz, because I do want to see Chicago added eventually.  

So, the Ohio version of the Outlaws uses the original Oklahoma logo, but instead of more red, we use Orange.  Why orange?  Well, both the Browns and Bengals make Orange the official color of Ohio football (Sorry, OSU).  So, Black and Orange is an homage to both the Browns and Bengals in a way.  

I wanted to preserve something of the 1984 Outlaws as well, so three thick stripes on the sleeves and pants, but in 2023 you have to do something interesting, so I expanded the stripes to occupy the entire sleeve (which are nowhere as long as 1980's sleeves.  Other than that it is pretty much the Oklahoma Outlaws recolored and relocated to Canton, Ohio. 

spacer.png

Thoughts?  Anyone think the USFL should expand to 12 teams any time soon? Maybe eventually. Just selfishly I want the Gold to return so I have a team within range to go see. 

I'm in favor of an expansion to 12 teams, put it in line with the 1983 version of the league