NHL Revamp Series 32/32 - Detroit Red Wings

Patchey13

I've always wanted to see the Tomahawk C on the front of the Blackhawks jersey. But I don't think you have to reinvent the wheel with the striping... changing it brings this into "too much change" territory.  I also don't think it's necessary to get away from the gold C.

But if you're gonna get rid of the chief, put the Chicago flag on the shoulders. Either the standard one, or the one with black stripes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MilSox said:

I've always wanted to see the Tomahawk C on the front of the Blackhawks jersey. But I don't think you have to reinvent the wheel with the striping... changing it brings this into "too much change" territory.  I also don't think it's necessary to get away from the gold C.

But if you're gonna get rid of the chief, put the Chicago flag on the shoulders. Either the standard one, or the one with black stripes.

That's fair, however I want to try to stay away from just doing "this jersey is perfect as is so Im not going to touch it" I think the only one I've really done that with is the Habs away. It's subtle but the same basic striping pattern (from the home uniforms at least) is still there, but the black and white are reversed. I played around with the Chicago flag on the inside of the collar, but I didn't really like how it turned out, and having it on the shoulders is a bit too much of a clash...similar to the Flames previous set.

I'll whip up a few different variations of this set. I knew it would be contentious haha. You may be right with the gold C, so that's one avenue I'd like to go down. Made sure to keep it with the alternate, but I always loved the black and red C on the shoulders of their throwback alternate set from the early 2010s

Managed to fire these variants out quick. Not sold on the Chief head logo on the front. I think it would look better with the roundel like the throwback uniforms, but I do quite like the colourful C logo, as it ties the secondary logos in better. Also enabled the flag on the inside of the collar 

q1DTgii.png

2JMckpg.png

• Like 1

We're in the home stretch now. Our 30th team is the Washington Capitals.

I explored a few different paths with this one. Originally planning to make the Retro colours the Primary set, but I realized I've done very few teams with Red home uniforms so I decided to keep the current colours. I also explored the '23 stadium series set in different colours, but didn't like the results. Ended up with a simple, more traditional set that was based on the stadiums, but with normal proportions and slightly adjusted the stripes on the arms.

The alternate uniform is a set I've always wanted to see. The eagle on a black uniform seems much cooler to me than the Capital logo, and the slate blue is very unique, I wanted it to play a larger role in the set over the metallic bronze. Love how this one came out.

78i7HNL.png

wjFiWbs.png

PUaO9ru.png

I have some fresh ideas in mind for the Wings and Panthers, so it may take me a little longer for these last 2, just due to the increased scope of work. Looking forward to finishing this series out strong!

• Like 4

• Patchey13 changed the title to NHL Revamp Series 30/32 - Washington Capitals

We have the Panthers now. I was originally going to make an entirely new primary logo, but I had no idea that they re-created it in 2016 along with the current set. I did however create a new alternate mark featured on the shoulders and the alternate set. I think this is a pretty standard-looking set that fits their identity well. The alternate uniform is one of my favorites of the series so far

nuw9ZvG.png

T18WAud.png

7RGTEoQ.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Patchey13 changed the title to NHL Revamp Series 31/32 - Florida Panthers

Time for the final team to close out the series. The Detroit Redwings!

This one was fun. I settled Stadium series D instead of the classic D logo they use, just to bring the design into a more modern feel with the addition of silver, something they've played around with a bit with the reverse retro design.

The alternate brings back the classic kit untouched. It's an all-time classic and it should still stick around in some capacity.

NOf1pZA.png

Cw0TmFT.png

zP9Ymt7.png

• Like 5
  • Hate 1

• Patchey13 changed the title to NHL Revamp Series 32/32 - Detroit Red Wings

I know it would be a travesty if the Red Wings decide to completely redesign their primary uniforms, but I'd definitely approve this design, as it still leans towards a traditional flavor, but adding a bit of a modern touch through the silver. That can be a good alternate jersey IRL.

13 hours ago, edjb93 said:

I know it would be a travesty if the Red Wings decide to completely redesign their primary uniforms, but I'd definitely approve this design, as it still leans towards a traditional flavor, but adding a bit of a modern touch through the silver. That can be a good alternate jersey IRL.

That's the thing

The insistence of many people to cling to "tRaDiTiOn" is what prevents many great concepts from turning into realities

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

Part of it comes down to the designers own internal biases as well. It's not too difficult to come up with a new design, but it's hard to come up with something BETTER. When a design has stood the test of time for a number of decades it's tough to remove those biases and look at your design in a vacuum. 

I think Boston has done a great job with this over the years. Bringing a design forward through the times, while still retaining familiar elements was something I really tried to accomplish with each o6 team

• 2 months later...

Pretty impromptu update here, but there was recently some discussion about the Nashville Predators, and it made me revisit my Predators concept. I made a quick edit to include metallic silver, similar to their reverse retro set and I think I actually like it a bit more than the original concept.

Edit: Not sure why the images are posting as links, but I will fix it when I get home!

https://imgur.com/3RUXIx8

https://imgur.com/yi45KAj