Another thought exercise has produced another (mini) series!

Relocation has always been a big part of Major League Baseball, particularly in the mid-20th century. Several teams who moved (including the Senators, Pilots and Expos) started afresh with new identities, logos and uniforms. In contrast, other team names, such as the Braves and Athletics, have survived as many as three cities and counting. But what if those teams who moved had decided to rebrand?

This series is a short trip through an alternate timeline in which every team who relocated but kept their original name instead adopted a new identity and uniforms, logos, etc. along with it. I'll be posting chronologically, starting in the 1950s and posing the question: 

What if the Boston Braves became the Milwaukee Brewers?

HOME:

Brewers-Home.png

ROAD:

Brewers-Road.png

Notes:

- From 1947-52, the Brewers served as the AAA affiliate of the Boston Braves and wore navy & red uniforms resembling those of their parent club. When the Braves moved to Milwaukee in 1953, they kept the same basic uniforms, changing only their cap logo and adding front numbers.
- A stalk of wheat replaces the tomahawk and adds a nice pop of gold to the front of the jerseys.

C&C appreciated! Things will get a little more interesting from here on out. 

• Like 11
  • WOAH 3

On 1/15/2024 at 6:01 PM, Dozap17 said:

Nice start to this series, good to see another of your mashups on here

Thank you!

What if the Brooklyn Dodgers became the Hollywood Stars?

STARS HOME:

Stars-Home-w-outlined-script.png

STARS ROAD:

Stars-Road-w-smaller-numbers.png

STARS HOME/ROAD ALT:
Stars-Alt-w-script.png

Notes:

- By the end of the 1960s, there was a precedent for expansion teams coopting Pacific Coast League identities. Had the Dodgers started this trend a few years prior, the “Stars” would have been the most obvious choice for them.
- The original cap logo for the Astros (who wouldn’t join the league for another four years) works nicely for the Stars, and the block “H” even matches the style of the Dodgers’ monogram “LA.”
- I tried to keep the uniforms as Dodger-y as possible, while cranking up the level of red just a bit. 
- Even after the Stars played their final game in 1957 (moving to Salt Lake City to become the “Bees” the following season) the team name lives on, with Dodger Stadium hosting its annual Hollywood Stars Night charity game for the past 50+ years. 

C&C appreciated! The next team is likely to cause some controversy. 

• Like 10

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Relocation Rebrands (Hollywood Stars/Dodgers 1/17)

What a great series start!

I'm a huge fan of the ear of wheat under the Braves' wordmarks.

Fantastic job with the Stars' identity 👌🏻 Looks very Hollywood-ish while keeping the Dodgers style. That road wordmark is a thing of a beauty!

• Love 1

On 1/18/2024 at 9:44 AM, Victormrey said:

What a great series start!

I'm a huge fan of the ear of wheat under the Braves' wordmarks.

Fantastic job with the Stars' identity 👌🏻 Looks very Hollywood-ish while keeping the Dodgers style. That road wordmark is a thing of a beauty!

Thanks, man!

What if the New York Giants became the San Francisco Dodgers?

HOME:

Dodgers-Home.png

ROAD:

Dodgers-Road-simpler-piping.png

HOME ALT:

Dodgers-Home-Alt.png

ROAD ALT:
Dodgers-Road-Alt-no-outlines.png

Notes:

- This one is bound to piss off at least a few people. 😅 Like Brooklyn, Los Angeles once had a bustling trolley system, but that's no longer the case—making the name a bit of an anachronism. San Francisco's cable cars, on the other hand, are still very much in operation, and the Giants even had one on their dugout jackets in the ‘80s.
- The uniforms look pretty much as you’d expect, with an arched block and script style “DODGERS” replacing “GIANTS” on the home and home alt.
- Front numbers have been added across the board for uniformity.  
- I’ll be the first to admit this rebrand is the one least likely to have happened, due to both the historical cache of both the Giants and Dodgers’ names and the rivalry between the two. Still, it was a fun experiment. 

C&C appreciated, and have a great weekend! 

• Like 2
  • WOAH 2

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Relocation Rebrands (San Francisco Dodgers/Giants 1/19)
On 1/19/2024 at 10:40 AM, GrayJ12 said:

I found it. The most cursed concept on this site.

But seriously...I love the incorporation of the trolley cars on the sleeves. Nice thought experiment!

On 1/20/2024 at 8:58 PM, Coiler said:

I love the Los Angeles Astros and  the San Francisco Trolley Giants.

Thank you both!

What if the Philadelphia A's became the Kansas City Blues?

HOME:

Blues-Home-w-vest-white-cap-logo.png

ROAD:

Blues-Road-w-vest.png

HOME/ROAD ALT:
Blues-Alt.png

Notes:

- Like the Brewers, the Blues were an American Association identity. The team served as a minor league affiliate to the Pirates and Yankees from 1935-54.
- Just as the Athletics abbreviate their name with an Old English “A,” the Blues use a “B” in that same style.  
- The Kansas City A’s have the distinction of being the only MLB team to feature three sets of numbers on the same jersey—the back, front and sleeves—a quirky detail I preserved here.
- I was at first reluctant to make the away set baby blue, as powder blue road uniforms didn’t really become big until the early ‘70s, but then I remembered that both the Cubs and Dodgers rocked baby blue roads over a decade prior.

C&C appreciated as always! 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Relocation Rebrands (Kansas City Blues/A's 1/22)
On 1/22/2024 at 1:20 PM, Coiler said:

Wow, an A's-based uniform that isn't green and yellow!

Well, those colors wouldn't really make sense, given the name. 😉

On 1/22/2024 at 2:20 PM, WideRight said:

A really interesting idea.  WHat about the Pilots and the Senators?  What other options did they have? 

Thanks! The teams you mentioned actually wouldn't fit the premise of this particular series, since both rebranded upon moving (the Pilots became the Brewers and the Senators became the Rangers).

What if the Milwaukee Brewers (Braves) became the Atlanta Eagles?

HOME:

Eagles-Home.png

ROAD:

Eagles-Road.png

HOME ALT:

Eagles-Home-Alt.png

ROAD ALT:
Eagles-Road-Alt.png

Notes:

- This one isn’t much of a stretch. When TV mogul Ted Turner purchased the Braves in 1976, he considered renaming them the “Eagles,” which would’ve fit with Atlanta’s two other bird-themed team identities.
- As I’ve done with other Braves concepts in the past, black replaces royal blue/navy to produce some nice visual synergy with the local Hawks and Falcons.
- The sleeve feathers have been recolored to better resemble those of an actual eagle.

C&C appreciated!

• Like 7

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Relocation Rebrands (Atlanta Eagles/Braves 1/24)
On 1/25/2024 at 9:58 AM, Coiler said:

Can't wait for the Eagles to blow a 9-0 lead in Game 7 of the World Series.

(Seriously though, I do like the Atlanta color scheme a lot, and the feathers are a nice touch)

Thanks!

What if the Kansas City Blues (A's) became the Oakland Oaks?

HOME:
Oaks-Home-darker-green.png

ROAD:
Oaks-Road-w-80s-script.png

HOME ALT:
Oaks-Home-Alt-darker-green-w-different-n

ROAD ALT:
Oaks-Road-Alt-darker-green.png

Notes:

- This one was a no-brainer. The Oaks were a Pacific Coast League team that played from 1903-55, and the A's have thrown back to them on several occasions. 
- I like that the name “Oakland Oaks” would essentially be the AL’s answer to the “Philadelphia Phillies.”
- To my knowledge, the Oaks never actually wore A’s colors (instead opting for navy & red and green & red at various points in their history) but I went with green and gold befitting the Oakland flag.
- An Old English "O" replaces the Athletics' "A" on the caps and home alt. 

C&C appreciated! The next and final team in the series will be a team that hasn't relocated...yet.

• Like 10

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Relocation Rebrands (Oakland Oaks/A's 1/26)
18 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Big fan of an all-vest set 💯 The acorn inside the sleeve patch is such a nice detail! Would you mind sharing a larger version of it?

Thanks! I'll DM you the sleeve patch logo. 

What if the Oakland A's become the Las Vegas Wranglers?

HOME:

Wranglers-Home.png

ROAD:

Wranglers-Road.png

HOME ALT:

Wranglers-Home-Alt.png

ROAD ALT:
Wranglers-Road-Alt.png

Notes:

- It’s a safe bet that when the A’s move to Vegas in the next year or two, they’ll keep their name, which is now 120+ years old and has survived three cities and counting.  
- I struggled to come up with a new identity for Vegas, as anything gambling-related is too cliched, and I’m not sold on “Aviators” as MLB-worthy. I ultimately decided to pay tribute to Vegas’ very first professional team, which played in various minor leagues between 1947-58.
- Unfortunately, there aren’t many photos of the Wranglers around. The team seemingly wore black and red, to which I added Vegas gold to produce a look evoking both the A's and Golden Knights.
- The caps use a monogram “LV” in the style of the Athletics’ “A,” while the sleeves feature a fearsome bobcat, which one can assume inspired the team’s name.

And that wraps up the series! Thanks to everyone who followed along.

• Like 6

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Relocation Rebrands (Las Vegas Wranglers/A's 1/31)
On 2/1/2024 at 11:07 AM, Victormrey said:

Really nice homage to LV's first team. The colour scheme along the double border for the wordmarks and logos look fantastic!

Also, those stirrups look gorgeous 😍

On 2/2/2024 at 5:16 AM, Coiler said:

And so the A's broke out of the purgatory of green and yellow to make a spectacular uniform!

Great conclusion to a great series.

Thank you both!

• Love 1