Is there 5th Major League Sports League?

GDAWG

We all know the Big 4 (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) but is there a fifth major league and if so who? 

I am not counting NASCAR because I consider them more of a major sports tour like PGA (golf) and ATP (Tennis) than a league. 

Definitions mean everything. If by "major league" you mean paid athletes (to some degree), big TV contract, nationwide spread, big numbers, big events ... I'd wanna throw college football in there. Before even MLS. 

1 minute ago, raz said:

Definitions mean everything. If by "major league" you mean paid athletes (to some degree), big TV contract, nationwide spread, big numbers, big events ... I'd wanna throw college football in there. Before even MLS. 

I can't count college football yet until there's a Super League.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, raz said:

College players are paid for endorsements by companies, not paid to play from the universities, so no, it's not a major league. A "major league" is one considered on the highest level of its respective sport. Technically the CFL is because it's the highest level of Canadian football, even still if it is far from the level of the NFL. They're also technically two different sports. What WE consider the 5 major leagues are largely due to them being the 5 most popular sports in the country (4 of which are the pinnacle leagues of their sport in the entire world).

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

We all know the Big 5 (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and MLS) but is there a sixth major league and if so whom?  There's the WNBA, NWSL and NLL as options.  NLL is because its lacrosse and the WNBA and NWSL are women's leagues in basketball and soccer.  

[Editing note: "who".]

58 minutes ago, raz said:

The top college football players make money now from name/image/likeness; but they are not paid by the teams for which they play.  So in my opinion that doesn't qualify.

I'd say that a major league is a league in which players can make their livings solely from playing.  While this was not generally true even of Major League Baseball until the reserve clause was toppled, it seems to me to be a good benchmark of "major" status nowadays.  That rules out the NLL and the PLL, and also the UFL and the arena/indoor football leagues, as well as the MASL.

Regarding the WNBA, a site called Sportsnaut says that the average salary is $147,745, and that the minimum is $64,000.  Business Insider puts the average at $113,295 and the minimum at $62,000.  Either way, that's enough to live on.  So for me that league qualifies as a major league.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I would say NASCAR deserves to be in this conversation as well. NASCAR agreed to a new TV broadcasting deal a few months back with new deals for Amazon and The CW. Pitbull and Michael Jordan investing in teams in the sport is also a hopeful sign. They are starting to attract top-tier international drivers as well. Yes, stock car racing isn't as big as it once was and ratings are still going down, but it still has a sizable base of support. I do think this Netflix series will make progress as well.

rAUPGPZ.png

At this point it seems like sports have so thoroughly balkanised that this idea is sort of quaint. The NFL (NHL in Canada) rules everything, with the NBA somewhere below but above everyone else, and then every other league has a varied sized fiefdom. Add in international sports (Premier League/Champions League/F1) and it gets even choppier. MLS is probably the last in to the traditional idea if you even consider them part of a big 5.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

We all know the Big 5 (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and MLS)

How can we group MLS with the other four leagues, when the world's best players don't play there?

• Like 4
  • Eyeroll 1

6uXNWAo.png

1 minute ago, McCall said:

It's the major league in soccer in the U.S. And arguably the greatest player of all-time IS playing here, so...

I'm aware this is not a legitimate argument, but this can get into slippery slope territory, at any given time there are a few NPB players who are among the ~100 or so best baseball players in the world, same for the KHL. Euroleague basketball doesn't have quite the same pull, but there are certainly at least a whole teams' worth of NBA level salary cap casualties or young guys who will eventually come over.

Just now, McCall said:

It's the major league in soccer in the U.S. And arguably the greatest player of all-time IS playing here, so...

Messi on a cash grab tour before he retires like Beckham. Like he even cares or is trying to win an MLS title...

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

6uXNWAo.png

I too say NASCAR. It th we only one on the pro level that has TV or that type of prestige.

13 minutes ago, Cujo said:

How can we group MLS with the other four leagues, when the world's best players don't play there?

5 minutes ago, McCall said:

When they retire.

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

Messi on a cash grab tour before he retires like Beckham. Like he even cares or is trying to win an MLS title...

Pretty much. Messi just here to live the quiet life of a Florida man.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, MrAstrodome said:

Pretty much. Messi just here to live the quiet life of a Florida man.

Great point. ZERO chance Messi would agree to play in MLS if he had to play for Kansas City or Cincinnati.

5 minutes ago, MrAstrodome said:

I too say NASCAR. It th we only one on the pro level that has TV or that type of prestige.

Nascar >>>> MLS if we're going to say there's a "Big 5"

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

6uXNWAo.png

5 minutes ago, LaGrandeOrange said:

I'm aware this is not a legitimate argument, but this can get into slippery slope territory, at any given time there are a few NPB players who are among the ~100 or so best baseball players in the world, same for the KHL. Euroleague basketball doesn't have quite the same pull, but there are certainly at least a whole teams' worth of NBA level salary cap casualties or young guys who will eventually come over.

Any of those player will make the jump to MLB, NBA and NHL if given the opportunity. There's really no question in the big 4 (of 5) who the top leagues in the world are.

• Like 1

Just now, LaGrandeOrange said:

Eh, this applies everywhere though. He'd never play for Burnley or Wolves but that doesn't make the Prem a small-time league.

Point being: Messi doesn't take the league serious (nor do a lot of us) and is here only for a stack of cash and a warm beach.

• Dislike 1

6uXNWAo.png

I feel all of this debate about MLS is too centered around the idea that a league has to be the best in its sport to be a "Big (X)" league, which would thus make NASCAR, WNBA, NLL, PLL, CFL, (among others) all major league sports over MLS, as they are the highest levels of stock car racing, womens' basketball, indoor lacrosse, outdoor lacrosse and Canadian football.

• Like 2