24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

If the whole season was 3-game sets, winning every series 2-1 would put you at 108-54, which is obviously a very successful year. 

It’s like the old Casey Stengel quote:  “The Yankees don't pay me to win every day, just two out of three.”

• Like 2

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Just remembered the time earlier this year when Shohei Ohtani signed with the Dodgers and sports media, other LA teams, and the City of Los Angeles treated him like he hadn’t played for the Angels for the last six years and it was his first time in the city.

3 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Just remembered the time earlier this year when Shohei Ohtani signed with the Dodgers and sports media, other LA teams, and the City of Los Angeles treated him like he hadn’t played for the Angels for the last years and it was his first time in the city.

For real, the Angels might as well played on Pluto lol. Trout should have left while he still could but he is stuck until 2030 and it looks like Anaheim still won't get better.

4 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Trout should have left while he still could but he is stuck

Nobody turns down the money he was offered to stay.  Nobody.  It's not so much that he chose to remain irrelevant and anonymous, it's that he chose an ungodly sum of money that anyone in his shoes would have taken.  Unfortunately, his career is essentially over, so we'll never know if he could do anything when and where it mattered.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 hours ago, BBTV said:

Nobody turns down the money he was offered to stay.  Nobody.  It's not so much that he chose to remain irrelevant and anonymous, it's that he chose an ungodly sum of money that anyone in his shoes would have taken.  Unfortunately, his career is essentially over, so we'll never know if he could do anything when and where it mattered.

Yep he got paid handsomely but sadly at the expense of being on a contending team

If it were me back then I'd demand the Angels to sign some more good players or I would be out

Edited by TrueYankee26

4 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

or I would be out

You're not turning down that money to risk tearing your achilles the next day.  In fact, while I don't know how long those negotiations had been going on for, once they started even approaching that amount, I'm probably wrapping myself in bubblewrap and not leaving the house until the deal is finalized.

In fact, if it was medically ethical, I'd ask to be put in an elective coma just to not risk anything.  Or maybe I'd get encased in carbonate or something.  These guys are all unbelievably rich, but there's a difference between Bryce Harper being "rich", and being able to call Harper a poor.

EDIT:

The closest example I can think of is Scott Rolen with the Phillies.  They offered him a big (at the time) deal, and he said he'd sign only if they promised to put x$ into signing other players to improve the team.  They didn't, so he didn't sign, and they had to trade him.  But it wasn't no $450M.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/22/2024 at 12:46 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

For real, the Angels might as well played on Pluto lol. Trout should have left while he still could but he is stuck until 2030 and it looks like Anaheim still won't get better.

I'm so tired of reading this take (:censored:, I said take unironically). Stuck? Trout has it made in Anaheim. Introverted guy getting paid fifty kajillion dollars a year to play baseball for a country club franchise based in the rich suburbs of sunny Southern California? You couldn't possibly ask for a more player-friendly situation. He has no reason to leave; rings culture doesn't exist in baseball.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Phillies made the brilliant idea to start mixing Kyle Schwarber into the outfield on an occasional basis so as to give everyone else a chance to DH, and he promptly pulls his groin and is on the DL.  Then, Harper, having an MVP-caliber season (though obviously Ohtani is in the lead), pulls his hamstring on the last play of the game and is also on the DL.  That, combined with JT Realmuto having meniscus surgery, and both of their 5th starters being on the DL (though Taijuan Walker actually helps the team more when he's on the DL), opens the door for the Braves to make up some ground, and possibly catch all the way up, if the Harper injury is bad.

Ironically, he has yet to make an All Star team since being a Phillie, despite being terrific and winning an MVP.   He was just elected to start his first one... and now this.  Oh well.