24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I know that the Padres have a tenuous TV rights situation right now but you'd think they'd actually afford to supply their players with gloves that don't explode on *checks schedule* OPENING DAY.

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, LMU said:

I know that the Padres have a tenuous TV rights situation right now but you'd think they'd actually afford to supply their players with gloves that don't explode on *checks schedule* OPENING DAY.

That'll teach Cronenworth to wear a Wilson glove. No way that happens to a Rawlings.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, LMU said:

Don’t the players buy their own gloves?

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Shohei went 2-5 with an RBI and a Stolen Base

Please don’t make this a thing where you post what his stats are each day regardless of how average they are.

• Like 5

This has the potential to turn into a pretty big story.  Ohtani’s team initially said he transferred the money to cover the the translator’s gambling debt. Now Ohtani had no knowledge of it. 

Biggest star in baseball might’ve wired an illegal bookie millions. 

IUe6Hvh.png

10 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

After 1 game MLB is going to get overshadowed by controversy. Lol that sport can not catch a break.

Nothing will come of this, if it's even anything at all.  It will be forgotten about within two weeks.  

This will not overshadow anything, no matter how hard any media outlet tries to force the story (and I'im not sure that any will after maybe today and tomrrow.). Ohtani isn't getting into any trouble, and we'll never hear about it again.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, McCall said:

Everybody involved, even the bookie, have said Shohei had no involvement. Saying he's the victim of massive theft.

Well, Shohei’s own team initially said he wired the money.  I wonder if his team rushed to put that out to disconnect him from any actual gambling and then the lawyers got involved because they recognize how bad this guy writing $4m to an illegal bookie looks whether he gambled or not. 

Oh, and the reason they say the story changed is because they were still using this guy to do the translating. I don’t know, this just seems like a super :censored:ty cover-up even if the guy didn’t do anything that wrong (well, wiring the money might be a felony, no?).

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

Considering that Ohtani's team has contacted law enforcement and is calling for a full probe into the theft, unless they're setting themselves up for what may in fact be the most significant self own in the history of professional sports it would appear that the theft angle would be likely what transpired in the same vein as the take old as time of associate of millionaire athlete getting greedy.  The shifting stories probably had a lot to do with them being overseas and not being in the most convenient situation to kick the guy to the curb when he still has tickets reserved on the team charter.

Of course, the hot takes about Ohtani not talking to anyone are hilarious considering that he's probably taking legal advice on that front.

VmWIn6B.png

35 minutes ago, LMU said:

Considering that Ohtani's team has contacted law enforcement and is calling for a full probe into the theft, unless they're setting themselves up for what may in fact be the most significant self own in the history of professional sports it would appear that the theft angle would be likely what transpired in the same vein as the take old as time of associate of millionaire athlete getting greedy.  The shifting stories probably had a lot to do with them being overseas and not being in the most convenient situation to kick the guy to the curb when he still has tickets reserved on the team charter.

Of course, the hot takes about Ohtani not talking to anyone are hilarious considering that he's probably taking legal advice on that front.

I saw on some show yesterday where the idiots were getting all worked up at how Dave Roberts was avoiding questions, and how that meant he "must know something and doesn't want to blow the whistle", and it's like no - of course he's been instructed to not comment.  I get that media has to ask and hope for a slip-up, but "no comment" doesn't mean anything more than "no comment".

And in the extremely-unlikely situation where Ohtani did anything wrong, there's zero chance MLB will sweep it under the rug and figure out some way for law enforcement to "go away".  This is a complete "story that's not a STORY."  Will be forgotten about by April.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

I saw on some show yesterday where the idiots were getting all worked up at how Dave Roberts was avoiding questions, and how that meant he "must know something and doesn't want to blow the whistle", and it's like no - of course he's been instructed to not comment.  I get that media has to ask and hope for a slip-up, but "no comment" doesn't mean anything more than "no comment".

The first thing any lawyer is going to tell their client is to shut up and don't talk about the investigation or the case. Period. Anyone who doesn't understand that is either an idiot or a talk show host. In the case of talk show hosts, it's generally both.

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

So, Ohtani apparently didn’t even realize that Ippei had a gambling problem until the clubhouse announcement in Seoul and Ohtani wouldn’t have had any idea what he was doing if he gambled on other sports anyway.

VmWIn6B.png

On 3/20/2024 at 1:26 PM, dont care said:

Don’t the players buy their own gloves?

Please don’t make this a thing where you post what his stats are each day regardless of how average they are.

His first game as a Dodger only.  

• Like 1

I won’t be sympathetic towards leagues that openly support betting/gambling sites under the “official betting partner” banner and then be shocked their players actively place bets.

However, being a complete dumbass and betting on your own team and throwing games? Thats a different story.

• Like 1