24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

So now we're cancelling games because of "forecasted" weather...I miss the old days when the call was made on the actual gameday.

If it ends up being nice and sunny, then it was called for nothing...

bYhYmxh.png

4 hours ago, Burmy said:

So now we're cancelling games because of "forecasted" weather...I miss the old days when the call was made on the actual gameday.

Lame take, especially for weekday game days where people have to take off from work and then may have to take off a second day, or drive down to a game (which can be hell) and be held hostage till the make up their mind. 

Fans should always be given as much notice as possible - especially in a case where there’s a built-in off day and it’s not a situation where they can’t make up the game. 

The first week or two of the season should only be held in places where it doesn’t rain or where there’s domes. It’s downright stupid to open in Philadelphia, or even worse Detroit, or Chicago, etc. in March. 

EDIT also for the stadium employees and vendors, it’s better for them to not have to pay for transit to/from a game that get cancelled and they make no money, then have to do it again the next day. 

Bad take. 

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, Burmy said:

Weather forecasting is much better now than it was in the "old days." For example, last week a meteorologist I follow on YouTube said that Minneapolis was going to get blasted by snow this week. Guess what happened in Minneapolis this week. It snowed. A lot.

If the forecast says there is a 99% chance of rain and the radar shows that it's 99% going to rain, what exactly are we waiting for? I like that teams are being proactive and not making fans waste their time sitting around for 4 hours in the rain to see if the game gets called.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

14 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Weather forecasting is much better now than it was in the "old days." For example, last week a meteorologist I follow on YouTube said that Minneapolis was going to get blasted by snow this week. Guess what happened in Minneapolis this week. It snowed. A lot.

Weather satellites and technology are better, not tv meteorologists. They just relay us what the Weather Channel is telling them. Their only real talent is being able to work a green screen backwards.

6uXNWAo.png

20 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

If the forecast says there is a 99% chance of rain and the radar shows that it's 99% going to rain, what exactly are we waiting for? I like that teams are being proactive and not making fans waste their time sitting around for 4 hours in the rain to see if the game gets called.

To be 100% fair, the forecast for Phillies opening day last year was horrific, and they postponed it a day ahead of time like this year.  It ended up being 80 degrees and sunny, while the next day ended up being a typical early-spring cloudy-chilly day.   But there wasn't a single model that predicted anything other than rain.  Something flukey happened.

I'd much rather err on the side of giving the fans the most time necessary to make a decision.  And it's one of the several reasons I hate this new scheduling format - it creates more situations where fans can be held hostage because there's fewer opportunities (none, in some cases) to make up games, so they just have to sit through delays.

No new stadium in any northeast or midwest city shoudl be constructed without some kind of Safeco-ish umbrella-ish cover.  Not a full dome, but a cover.  Prices are too high to have to sit or wait through multiple delays or get rained on or have a clinching NLCS game like in 2022 where the field was a complete trainwreck and pitchers could barely grip the ball.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Weather satellites and technology are better, not tv meteorologists. They just relay us what the Weather Channel is telling them. Their only real talent is being able to work a green screen backwards.

Where did I say that local TV weather hairdos are good at forecasting weather? I said weather forecasting is better and it is.

BB52Big.jpg

I'd be honesty shocked if they don't postpone at least one Dodger game this weekend as rare as postponements are here.  Imagine people trying to navigate that parking lot in a downpour.

VmWIn6B.png

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

EDIT also for the stadium employees and vendors, it’s better for them to not have to pay for transit to/from a game that get cancelled and they make no money, then have to do it again the next day. 

They still get paid for a certain amount of time even if it's called not long after employee start times.

41 minutes ago, McCall said:

They still get paid for a certain amount of time even if it's called not long after employee start times.

Some travel a ways, or have to pay for transit, and also coverage for kids, so it's not worth it.  As a former stadium employee (granted for football which was only postponed once in my tenure) it's really not worth it, even for the ones that need every $.   The certainty of the situation and the ability to have time to replan for child care or whatever else, outweighs the hour of minimum wage (or whatever) they'd be paid.

The Texas Rangers will be raising their World Series banner and handing out rings this weekend.  All Rangers fans have been waiting 52 years for this to happen.   

They have now won more championships than the Dallas Cowboys in the 29 years.  

On 3/27/2024 at 7:36 PM, BBTV said:

No new stadium in any northeast or midwest city shoudl be constructed without some kind of Safeco-ish umbrella-ish cover.  Not a full dome, but a cover.  Prices are too high to have to sit or wait through multiple delays or get rained on or have a clinching NLCS game like in 2022 where the field was a complete trainwreck and pitchers could barely grip the ball.

That sounds terrible, no thanks.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

They need to trade that poor bastard. Send him somewhere that he'll be of use to a team.

It's going to come to a point where he has to demand a trade.  It may not be now, but it would have to be soon if things get worse for the Angels.  Whether or not the Angels will acquiesce to his trade demands, remains to be seen.  

16 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Yeah... poor Rockies. 13 runs given up in 1 inning on Opening Day. Jeez

Angels and Rockies are in for a llllooooonnnnnggggg season.

Make that 14 runs... something tells me that Arizona might have some pent-up anger from losing the World Series last year. Thankfully, there is no better patsy to beat up on then the Rockies.

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

It's going to come to a point where he has to demand a trade.  It may not be now, but it would have to be soon if things get worse for the Angels.  Whether or not the Angels will acquiesce to his trade demands, remains to be seen.  

There's only around 3 teams that can afford his salary unless the Angles eat half of it, and I think we know where he wants to play.  The problem is his health, and he'd have to play the field because said team already has a DH that can't play the field.

But it would be nice to see if he can actually perform in games that matter, and in front of crowds that care.  I feel very strongly that he isn't even a HOFer now, because he's had literally zero impact on the sport and not shown that he can play when it matters.  Nothing in this history of MLB would have unfolded any differently had he never been born.  And it's not even about championships at all.

• Like 1