Footy America - New Orleans Rouge 12/40

raysox

What if there was a Australian Rules Football league in North America on the same scale of the AFL in Australia?

Well I think it would look something like this. Introducing Footy America.
Footy-America.png

The league logo is a FA merged into one, using bold colors and trying to stand out in the ecosystem of american sports leagues.

I have plans for a 40 team league, mostly because I'm not thinking out stadium plans or history or how this league would truly have happened. Just kind of imagining it popped up one day. But I will say, the league is divided into 4 divisions of 10 based on geography.

Australian Rules football has such a unique brand world, and the bold designs of the jumpers(the uniform top) act as a canvas for an identity that's really unique in sports.. Since there's really only 18 top level Australian Rules teams, i'm trying to avoid those team names. Also, the USAFL exists, and i'm trying to avoid using those real team names in this league. But really this is a branding exercise to cross off some names and ideas that I really haven't had a chance to bring to life.  I'm completely open to suggestions for your cities, though!

Also I just wanted to shout out one of my all time favorite concept threads by @Discrim

Footy-America-Map.png
Footy America 11/40
Austin Bats
Bay Area FC

Birmingham Yellowhammers
Dallas Dust Devils
Houston Wildcatters
Miami Barracudas
Minnesota Blue Ox
New Orleans Rouge
St. Louis Saints
Tampa Bay BlackJacks
Tennessee Bandits

Toronto Nationals

• Like 9

Tampa Bay BlackJacks 1/40

The origin of this is an old concept of mine. I used to play aussie rules for a club in St. Petersburg that was in flux of leadership. We rebranded from the Swans to Tiger Sharks, but this was a concept I pitched. A tie in to the area's pirate lore, Black Jack was the name of an actual pirate around Australia, and the idea of a menacing skull and crossbones jumper has been stuck in my head ever since.

FA-Tampa-Bay-Black-Jacks.png

• Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Applause 1
  • WOAH 1

Minnesota Blue Ox 2/40
I love the idea of a team named after a strong animal like an ox, and fortunately there's a good pull for a mythical ox in Minnesota folklore. I imagine they're affectionately referred to as the "Babes". I've done a few bull logos in the last few years and wanted to try something different and more rigid than the clean front facing and side profile I've done. The colors really leaned into an Adelaide Crows style three colored hoop that I feel would be iconic in time. 

Also, apparently this is the name for the Women's AFL team in the Twin Cities, which I did not know until posting. 

FA-Minnesota-Blue-Ox.png

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Applause 1

• raysox changed the title to Footy America - Minnesota Blue Ox 2/40

That’s such a fun concept for a Minnesota team!! I love the North Star in Babe’s head. And the barberpole look is great too! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Austin Bats 3/40
Kind of a gimme name, but this idea of a chevron jumper with a bat silhouette was too good to ignore. I chose green purple and orange because of a 10 year old soccer concept I made, but favored green due to the new MLS team.
FA-Auston-Bats.png

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1

• raysox changed the title to Footy America - Austin Bats 3/40
On 8/18/2024 at 12:38 PM, raysox said:

Minnesota Blue Ox 2/40
I love the idea of a team named after a strong animal like an ox, and fortunately there's a good pull for a mythical ox in Minnesota folklore. I imagine they're affectionately referred to as the "Babes". I've done a few bull logos in the last few years and wanted to try something different and more rigid than the clean front facing and side profile I've done. The colors really leaned into an Adelaide Crows style three colored hoop that I feel would be iconic in time. 

Also, apparently this is the name for the Women's AFL team in the Twin Cities, which I did not know until posting. 

FA-Minnesota-Blue-Ox.png

I had the same idea for a football league I created. I just called them the Blues, but with the same theme.

I've slowly been getting into footy lately, and I'm glad some concepts are making it onto the boards. I love these team names and concepts, the Blue Ox is a thing of beauty! Can't wait to see the rest.

rAUPGPZ.png

Miami Barracudas 4/40
This team name i've wanted to play with for a bit. I did a modern looking mean fish swimming toward you on a crest.  Kind of challenged myself to not do a symmetrical logo after 3 to start. I tweaked colors a bunch and then ended up with a Marlins expansion era look. This would stand out against their rivals in Tampa Bay. The jumper is modeled after West Coast's, which fittingly lends itself to Miami's Burger King HQ location (for context, the Australian version of BK named Hungry Jacks has a sponsor logo in the same place).

FA-Miami-Barracudas.png

• Like 9

• raysox changed the title to Footy America - Miami Barracudas 4/40

St. Louis Saints 5/40
This is a nickname of both an AFL and NFL team, but I think it's fitting and timeless compared to others in this project. I couldn't get the idea of stripes based on the St. Louis Flag's stripes running up the kit. The logo is an STL lockup + Arch + fleur de lis. 
FA-St-Louis-Saints.png

• Like 8
  • Love 4

• raysox changed the title to Footy America - St. Louis Saints 5/40

Always a great feeling when I see new Raysox stuff on the boards and these don't disappoint either. Great templates as always, you always seem to outdo yourself! All the kits you've made thus far have been class. Could definitely see people in Austin wearing those Bats kits, it artfully combines modern aesthetics with some vintage flair. Keep up the awesome work dude

• Love 1

That's what- She

Birmingham Yellowhammers 6/40
I love love love this name and gave B-Ham a team just to make a concept. Ideally, this would be a minor league team in Mobile to honor Hammerin' Hank Aaron! This is their state bird, but ties to the iron industry there with the word "Hammers". I wanted to mix in a non-threatening rendering of a bird, but after going too detailed, i simplified it big time. The jumper is mainly yellow, with a thick black center stripe.
FA-Birminham-Yellowhammers.png

• Like 7

• raysox changed the title to Footy America - Birmingham Yellowhammers 6/40